Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staff Meeting attendance

• 31-01-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭

Would any of the teachers on boards frown upon a student teacher attending a staff meeting? Sort of a "Who does he think he is attending a staff meeting and him only a dip student?" mindset?

There's a staff meeting coming up and I'd be interested in attending but I'm thinking I mightn't be welcome? I've another 7 weeks in the school on teaching practice this year and would like to know what's going on...but maybe that'd be crossing a line? Just thought that before I ask the principal, I'd see how others would feel...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I was asked to attend when I was on TP, like you said, important to see what goes on and to keep yourself in the loop. Is the principals approachable? I would have no problem at all seeing a student teacher at one of our meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I would recommend definitely attend. Otherwise it could look like "I'm here to do my hours and no more".....

I was never felt unwelcome when I did my dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

TP students attend staff meetings in my school all the time. It's not expected (except subject department meetings and only if it's a convenient time for the student) but it's certainly not frowned upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I attended all meetings and training days during my Dip it lets you know whats going on but also it shows you've an interest in what's going on. I was subbing in the school last year where I currently have a full timetable - the principal really appreciated me being at the meetings and contributing to what the discussion was - definitely helped bulk up my hours this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Aye the principal is very approachable, it's actually more the teachers that I would be more wary of. I was talking to one teacher that said that when he was doing his TP he was politely told in a round about way that he was not to attend.

I'm thinking that if someone has an issue with one of the students teachers or me, having me there wouldn't really be suitable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I'm not sure I've ever seen a student-teacher at a meeting in my school, though when I did the PDE back in the day I did attend the opening meeting of the year in the school - it didn't occur for the rest of the year as I was in college in the afternoons. Not sure how it would be viewed in other schools but don't expect it to be a very revelatory experience anyway. For anyone not attending meetings regularly most of the references will naturally go over their head anyway. Let me put it this way, if it is likely to cause any resentment (and I'm not suggesting it will or it won't) it will certainly will not be worth it for what you'll get from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

There was already one staff meeting while I was out on TP and I assumed that I was not to attend so I headed home at four o'clock. On the way out I met the deputy-principal who said in a sort of joking manner something like, "You're not staying on?" and I laughed it off thinking he was just joking. Sure I was halfway home when it occured to me that maybe it wasn't just a joke and that he had been surprised to see me leaving just before it began. I have been known to over-analyse things though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if you can go, then why not. just beware that when some probing question is asked or some silence ensues, all is not what it seems and don't throw in some innocent comment unless you know the full politics in a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheDriver wrote: »
    if you can go, then why not. just beware that when some probing question is asked or some silence ensues, all is not what it seems and don't throw in some innocent comment unless you know the full politics in a place.

I remember my cooperating teacher at the time of my TP told me to stick with her, do what she did and I wont get hurt at the first Staff Meeting!.. Basically say nothing and watch the firework display that ensued.

It seems as if everyone here is of the opinion that you should go, however I'd recommend maybe double checking it with the VP first (or suss out a few other teachers). Maybe you might be expected to be there!!.

Although from my above first experience there was fairly sensitive stuff being hashed out and if I was principal or deputy I wouldn't want it to go any further than that room.. not to put any slight on any teacher's professionalism etc. but given the fact that I was only there for a few months then the meeting didn't really benefit my teaching in any way. There were other meetings in the school though that I did get benefit from (subject planning etc..)

So my advice is to double check first. And if you get the go ahead...say nothing and nod thoughtfully throughout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

I was expected to attend the meetings during my TP. The school took it as part of my role with them. I would definitely recommend that you go. It gives a very interesting incite into a lot of the matters in the school that you might not hear of otherwise. Also, if you're hoping of the possibility of picking up some hours next year with the school there is absolutely no harm in being enthusiastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd go with the majority and say it's a good idea to go and see what goes on. Run it by the principal/DP first. Keep your mouth shut and just observe what is going on unless there is something fairly innocuous like an upcoming open evening being discussed and they are looking for volunteers to help out on the night and you want to put your name forward.

It could also be useful if they are discussing a student that is having problems/creating problems and how to tackle it, if they are in one of your classes or if something like punctuality to class, or some other day to day thing needs to be tightened up and staff come to an agreement what to do over the next while to improve it, at least then you will be in the loop and not be the teacher letting students out to their lockers if it's decided at the meeting that that is not going to be allowed for the next while.

When I did my TP way back when the school had no problem with me attending and most of it was fairly boring in that it didn't apply to me and had no relevance to me, but I did get to see what it involved and also what the general dynamic was like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

In my school it would be expected that student teachers attend staff meetings, its not looked upon well when they leave at 4 and don't attend. If you're not sure you could just ask the VP or whoever, say you would really like to attend and would it be appropriate? That way you'll know for definite if you are welcome or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

Speaking from experience , with what some (principals!)might see as a cynical tone, I would say that its almost expected that you attend but under no circumstances SPEAK!I reckon it takes a permanent teacher about 15-20 years before s/he is ready to go 'jousting' at these tournaments !The few 'chatty' young teachers we had at staff meetings have never been reemployed.Lots of Emperors New Clothes/out of the mouths of babes moments !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Staff meetings are worthy of an anthropological study of their own so tread carefully. I think if you enter with a professional mindset you'll be fine. I changed location after 10 years and in my first staff meeting in my new school, I gave my tuppence worth. I was deemed an arrogant so and so by my new colleagues. It didn't stop me though. Nine years later they are getting used to me.
    On the other hand, I do know we had a student teacher who went blabbing after a staff meeting to school students that he was friendly with outside of school. So, it is important to remember which side of the gate you are on now. I know the principal had words with him later and he was told not to attend any further meetings. He had a large problem in terms of his relationships with students. Most others who attended in the past have mostly been so bored at the first that they never came back to a second.

i find its important to pull all the knives out of my back after staff meetings, sometimes its great being a punching bag........

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Driver, Now if you want to get on to the topic of Principals and Deputies who leave all the contentious issues for the last three minutes of a meeting....... In my first job, which was in England, we had a Headteacher who used begin the weekly meetings with the wonderful phrase: "This is for your information, it is not a discussion!" He took leadership lessons from Genghis Khan!

I wish i could leave them for the last 3 mins but I wouldn't dare be let!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

I'm surprised at most of these responses. My experience in the past has been that HDip students and anyone else not on the pay roll weren't allowed to attend the staff meeting, as they weren't staff. No matter how much they wanted to be there. On the other hand they were expected to hang around to attend any department meetings or the like that might happen after the staff meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kiva989

in my school, student teachers are expected to attend meetings (if they are in school of course and not in college)

Advertisement