Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault charge

Options
  • 31-01-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

So. I have a very minor assault charge against a cop (north) from about five years ago. Never actually touched him, just raised my fist and it counted as assault apparently.
    So, am I screwed for IEC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Oh and from what I can remember the court just gave me a fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

If you just got a fine your grand. No criminal record you should be sorted.

Thanks a million. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Is a fine not considered a charge? If so... Unfortunately you're boned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Not at all, a fine is given instead of being convicted of a crime & it being put on record. Especially for a minor offence as that, once the fine was paid on time, no more is said about it.

• Advertisement

FUCK FUCK FUCK
    Guess I'm gonna find out either way.
    Thanks for takin' the time anyway lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Is it on your police certificate?

You need to find out whether it is an "indictable" offence in Canada or not. If it is then you would have needed to have applied to 'rehabilitation' to the Canadian embassy before the visa application. If its not an indictable offence and its only a once off you should be fine.

But it all depends on how the same offence in Canada would be treated.

Try this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Thanks for the info. ill get my police certificate in a few days and see then. I was in canada in march for a fortnight and it wasnt an issue but i suppose thats different.it's not looking good to be honest. hope everyone else is havin better luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A fine usually isn't on your record. Even if it is, if you make up a story about how it happened you should be fine... if the Border Security TV shows are anything to go by!

• Advertisement
Advertisement