Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iGrade question

Options
  • 31-01-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I had to apply for an iGrade for the Christmas exams, got approved and today when I enquired with a lecturer who covers two of my subjects as to whether the tests, projects or assignments which made up part of my grade would be carried forward I was told no, the exams I would take in August would be worth 100%. Is it possible to contest this with the lecturer or any other body in UL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Slightly off topic: I've never seen someone stylise I-Grade as you have.
    iGrade. Think Different.

Contact the SU education officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NormaDesmond

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Slightly off topic: I've never seen someone stylise I-Grade as you have.
    iGrade. Think Different.

Contact the SU education officer.

Can I blame the notorious iPhone autocorrect?! It was that or the possibility I've been brainwashed by the thing!
    Thanks for the info, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That seems a bit unreasonable - most lecturers that I have had will allow project marks to carry forward in the case of a repeat. An I grade is a hell of a lot less severe than a repeat. It's no work to the lecturer, he/she already has the project marks, it's just a case of assigning the right proportion of marks to the exam. The exam can be identical, it's just weighted differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It should be listed in the allocation of marks given at the start of that module, the college regs state that this must be stated at the start of the module.

Popoutman wrote: »
    It should be listed in the allocation of marks given at the start of that module, the college regs state that this must be stated at the start of the module.

You mean in the Module Guide? There isn't a mention of I-Grades in this, unless you were just referring to the allocation of marks. Had I set the exam for 1 of the subjects, it was worth 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You mean in the Module Guide? There isn't a mention of I-Grades in this, unless you were just referring to the allocation of marks. Had I set the exam for 1 of the subjects, it was worth 50%.

It should say in the module outline what % of marks are on offer in the repeat.

If it says 100%, then you may be out of luck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It should say in the module outline what % of marks are on offer in the repeat.

If it says 100%, then you may be out of luck here.

It's not technically a repeat though.

Which is exactly how I feel chrislad, it's a deferral not a repeat. But it seems that deferrals are treated the same. SU got back to me today, nothing they can do, and I'd contacted the SAA too, same deal - I have to go to either the lecturer or course leader. I've emailed my course leader as he is aware of the circumstances under which I applied for the deferral. So we'll see what happens (I'm not holding my breath though!).

Advertisement