Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard TV package

• 31-01-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

I'm looking into getting the standard tv package into the house. Simply I'm just asking should I go for the Sky basic or UPC basic pack?

I already have UPC phone & broadband so kind of leaning towards that but their looking for €45 for the new box but sky is offering free installation & free sky+ box and the first 2 months half price.

Also I was thinking if I got the sky in that I'd have the sat dish to feed off after my contract.

Sky is offering the basic at €27 ( first 2 months half price)

UPC is €25 I think..

So I'm just asking for suggestions

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

Well with UPC you can go into a bundle deal for €66:
    Select Extra pack with Digital+ (recording/pause/OnDemand)
    50Mb broadband with no limit (no AUP)
    100 Minutes on Phone OR Unlimited Off Peak (7PM-7AM) Local National International calls

UPC do charge a €45 activation fee but their call outs, replacements and call centres are all free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

AlanMc86 wrote: »
    Well with UPC you can go into a bundle deal for €66:
    Select Extra pack with Digital+ (recording/pause/OnDemand)
    50Mb broadband with no limit (no AUP)
    100 Minutes on Phone OR Unlimited Off Peak (7PM-7AM) Local National International calls

UPC do charge a €45 activation fee but their call outs, replacements and call centres are all free.
    Where are you seeing this for €66? Fibre Power Essential is showing HERE and HERE as €69, plus there is no choice of 100 Minutes (Anywhere 100) on Phone OR Unlimited Off Peak (Freetime World). The basic phone offering in the bundle is Anywhere 100 - Anytime World or Anywhere 200 is €5 extra, with no option of adding Freetime World (on the website at least).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

most of sky's upc tv package at €25 is on freesat/saorview after an once off fee, go with sky
    I have upc broadband broadband/phone for €44 but I don't have the phone connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

Where are you seeing this for €66? Fibre Power Essential is showing HERE and HERE as €69, plus there is no choice of 100 Minutes (Anywhere 100) on Phone OR Unlimited Off Peak (Freetime World). The basic phone offering in the bundle is Anywhere 100 - Anytime World or Anywhere 200 is €5 extra, with no option of adding Freetime World (on the website at least).

Call them up and ask about the new bundles. 100 minutes is the standard option but Freetime World is the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the_eman_pablo

signed up to SKY in stephens green last week and got 3 months half price and no set up fee with a free box! was delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

ste What TV channels do you currently have?

As said the vast majority of basic packs from both providers are available for free via satellite or an aerial.

You will probably end up paying Sky 300+ in year one, and for that you could have a fairly good free setup.

Sky's "free" box and dish is too good to be true. The dish is very low quality. They don't give you an aerial for the free Irish channels and after you leave they block RTE1 etc, and also stop you playing all your recordings you have made up to then.

300 for something worth about 120 after a year is not a bargain.

What you really need to look at is content. Some shows are not on basic UPC, some shows are not on basic Sky.

For example basic UPC includes normal Discovery channel
    Basic Sky includes "Discovery Shed" but not normal discovery, so for example of you wanted to watch "mythbusters" you could on UPC but not on Sky etc.

One danger is that if you get hooked to pay TV you may stay paying for 10+ years which is a massive financial outlay of €3,000+

Advertisement