Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The efforts to redefine anti-Semitism

• 31-01-2013 11:26pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

It seems of late that anything less than the AIPAC/Likud line is fair game for anti-semitism charges.

A number of incidents have have bothered me recently concerning false charges of anti-Semitism against legitimate criticism of Israeli policy, history or action. This bothers me for two reasons 1) Anti-semitism is real and these false charges made by Abe Foxman or William Kristol or any other right-wing mouthpiece only serves to dilute the charge and 2) It is anti-democratic to censor legitimate criticism.

We've had a number of weeks of Hagel being an anti-semite, last week there was a Lib Dem MP facing the same charges and last Sunday in the Times a cartoon appeared that had the ambassodors demanding apologies and the ADL and friends shrieking again about "blood libel" and other assorted nonsense.

This is the cartoon. Obviously it is not complimentary but it is critical of Netanyahu and Likud, their violence towards the Palestinians and their policies regarding the settlements destroying any viable two-state solution whilst claiming they are seeking peace.

I see absolutely no reference to Judaism whatsoever. That is my interpretation at least. I would be open to someone pointing out a reference that i didn't pick up on.

7AB39AA1D1FD4DCE805CAF9F998D2641.jpg

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

From the same cartoonist. Is this anti-Alawite?

bfgbxac.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In the 21st century, "anti semitism" is defined as any criticism whatsoever levelled against Israel for which there is no rational or reasonable defense.
    It's sort of like a trump card in Bridge. You use it if you have nothing else :rolleyes:

The simple fact is that relating condemnation of the Israeli state's behavior as "anti semitic" is like suggesting that condemnation of the Irish state's behavior is racism against the Irish people. If that's true, then I'm probably the most anti-Irish bastard ever to walk the earth :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Feel free to ignore the allegations of anti-semitism if you wish, or listen to them and decide whether they are made out or not in your own mind.

On the anti-democratic thing, it would be just as wrong to censor the criticisms of the cartoons as it would to censor the cartoons themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Israel's regime is often correctly crticised, for its disgraceful apartheid state and occupation of Palestinian lands. To call such criticism of the state "anti-semitic" is an insult to real victims of anti-semitism. It cheapens the accusation.

The cartoons, like the infamous Danish cartoons concerning some religion's spokesperson, are insensitive, sure. But there's a long history of that in satire and cartoons.

On another note, it does make feel very uneasy when the decidedly dodgy protocols of the elders of Zion are still taken by some to be true :(:( by some people out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Below are the two statements by Hagel that are being touted as anti-semitic.
    The political reality is that…the Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people [on Capitol Hill].
    I'm a United States senator. I support Israel. But my first interest is I take an oath of office to the Constitution of the United States. Not to a president. Not a party. Not to Israel. If I go run for Senate in Israel, I'll do that

In the first statement Hagel made the mistake of saying 'Jewish lobby' instead of 'Israel lobby'. It's a bit rich that he gets lambasted as an anti-semite by people who are quite comfortable with describing Israel as a Jewish state imo.

As for Hagel's 'intimidation' charge, it is no secret that your career as a politician in the US will face many obstacles if you do not parrot the AIPAC line on Israel. AIPAC's people have attested to their influence themselves.
    aipac’s leaders can be immoderately frank about the group’s influence. At dinner that night with Steven Rosen, I mentioned a controversy that had enveloped aipac in 1992. David Steiner, a New Jersey real-estate developer who was then serving as aipac’s president, was caught on tape boasting that he had “cut a deal” with the Administration of George H. W. Bush to provide more aid to Israel. Steiner also said that he was “negotiating” with the incoming Clinton Administration over the appointment of a pro-Israel Secretary of State. “We have a dozen people in his”—Clinton’s—“headquarters . . . and they are all going to get big jobs,” Steiner said. Soon after the tape’s existence was disclosed, Steiner resigned his post. I asked Rosen if aipac suffered a loss of influence after the Steiner affair. A half smile appeared on his face, and he pushed a napkin across the table. “You see this napkin?” he said. “In twenty-four hours, we could have the signatures of seventy senators on this napkin.”

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/07/04/050704fa_fact

How the second statement could be described as anti-Semitism is beyond me.

The people who cry anti-Semitism when someone doesn't dance to the tune of AIPAC have rendered the term effectively meaningless imo.

Check out Ron Paul being called an anti-Semite for questioning US military adventurism when he backs a supporter of it into a corner!

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wasn't that cartoon called anti semitic because it was published on the holocaust memorial day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

wasn't that cartoon called anti semitic because it was published on the holocaust memorial day?

That shouldnt matter. The cartoon has nothing to do with the Holocaust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

As for Hagel's 'intimidation' charge, it is no secret that your career as a politician in the US will face many obstacles if you do not parrot the AIPAC line on Israel. AIPAC's people have attested to their influence themselves.

If any charge of anti-semitism should be made, not so much by rhetoric, but by action, it should be against the state of Israel itself since the Palasinians are a largely Semite people as well.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Check out Ron Paul being called an anti-Semite for questioning US military adventurism when he backs a supporter of it into a corner!

That is an incredible video. You can see the eejit on the right getting more and more flustered because he knows he's wrong and just keeps hurling around words like "turrurists" and "murdururs". And why did he even call Ron Paul anti-semitic? Even if Paul mentioned Israel (which he didn't, btw) it wouldn't have made sense.

What we are seeing here is a weaponisation of the word "anti-semitic". While there is huge anti-semitism in many places today, critical investigation into the policies of Israel is not anti-semitic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

The very term anti-semit anti-semetic does need redefinition, the original was and still is broadly seen as a description of very real 19th/20th century Eupopean anti-jewish opinions. Recent events and cultural bias in the US against muslim communities has seen the term being used by Arab-Muslim communities to describe hatred directed towards them as Arabs also belong to the Semitic ethnic group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anti-semitism should be universally condemned, but anti-zionism should be celebrated. Many fail to distinguish between the two, while others deliberately choose not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

In the first statement Hagel made the mistake of saying 'Jewish lobby' instead of 'Israel lobby'. It's a bit rich that he gets lambasted as an anti-semite by people who are quite comfortable with describing Israel as a Jewish state imo.

Calling it the "Jewish" lobby is perfectly acceptable. These groups always self-identify as the voice of all Jews, and acting in the interest of all Jews. They consider themselves to be the representatives of the whole Jewish people and the sole legitimate viewpoints in Judaism are theirs.

Neither the fact that a lot of Jews disagree with them, nor the fact that supporting the current Israeli state is not in the interest of Jews generally seems to have entered into their psyches.

The people shouting "OMG! Anti-semitism! Stone him! Stone the evil one!" would have still been shouting it even if the cartoon were released on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I find it slightly ironic that the OP occasionally waves "islamophobic" styled accusations around.

It's the same in each case - some entities - Israel, the Catholic Church, various Islamic states - do horrible things and when people try to call them on it some variation of "phobia" is thrown about.

There certainly are people with an irrational hatred/fear of Islam and Israel (not sure about anyone being legitimately labelled as anti-christian) but it's usually a sure-fire sign of someone floundering in a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Anti-semitism should be universally condemned, but anti-zionism should be celebrated.

I disagree. The Jewish people should have their own homeland. As Zionism is the belief that the Jews should have their own homeland, I'm all for it.

But what really irritates me however, is radical zionism; that the rights of the Jewish people to their own land supersedes the rights of others to their own land.

Advertisement