Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth to Dublin Commute

Options
  • 31-01-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone does this and how they find it? Hopefully getting a job in Dublin within next few weeks and will be looking to move down. Friends lease is up in Maynooth and wants to stay there but move in with me.

The job could be varied shift patterns and at times may finish at 11pm in city centre.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

The train and bus service to and from Dublin is fairly good. The last train leaves Pearse Station at 1110 and arrives in Maynooth at 1155. The last 66 bus leaves Merrion Square at 1120.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 toannie

Heya, I'm in the same boat except I already live in Maynooth. I've been offered a job in the city centre but like you my shifts will vary however getting back to Maynooth is no problem as I'd finish by 9:30pm at the latest. Even if you aren't finished till 11 you should be okay as the last bus and train are at about 20 past 11 like Councillor said.

My problem is that I need to be in city centre for 7am some mornings so just wondering if anyone gets or knows how quickly the 66 service at 6:05am gets in to Merrion Square?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

toannie wrote: »
    My problem is that I need to be in city centre for 7am some mornings so just wondering if anyone gets or knows how quickly the 66 service at 6:05am gets in to Merrion Square?

Estimated off peak journey time is 49 minutes according to the timetable on the Dublin Bus website. I'd imagine that's fairly accurate at that time in a morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends where you work..
    We left the house in Maynooth at 8 every morning and was at our desks by 9 and got the 18:05 train home every evening and were home by 18:45.
    i worked in the IFSC so it was perfect.
    My hubby got a job near Grand Canal station with less set hours and now he drives.
    It depends on your hours and what part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Job is on Pembroke road, so Grand Canal Station would be perfect. Train to Connolly and Dart out there. Looking for a house in Maynooth as well is the next step!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Job is on Pembroke road, so Grand Canal Station would be perfect. Train to Connolly and Dart out there. Looking for a house in Maynooth as well is the next step!!

The 66X goes down to Baggot street and stops at the end of Pembroke road, fyi. I will be getting that bus from Monday onwards, so I will post accurate journey times.

COYW wrote: »
    The 66X goes down to Baggot street and stops at the end of Pembroke road, fyi. I will be getting that bus from Monday onwards, so I will post accurate journey times.

Fantastic COYW - thanks!

Just discovered I will need to be in office at 7am, coming from Maynooth that is going to be a problem I imagine. Office is just off Baggot st.

Any advice?

6:05am gets into Merrrion Square about 6:54 (probably a bit earlier given no traffic at that time of day).

Graham wrote: »
    6:05am gets into Merrrion Square about 6:54 (probably a bit earlier given no traffic at that time of day).

Thanks Graham - forgive my ignorance but how far of a walk is Burlington Road from Merrion Square? And where does that bus go from in Maynooth? Sorry for all the q's!!

• Advertisement

I'd say a 10 minute walk at a push. You might be ok that time in a morning, you'd really have to give it a try.

Walking route

Bus Stops in Maynooth:
    239973.jpg

And that's the 66 Graham? Thanks for the info.

Yup, 66.

If you wanted to be extra safe then the 67 goes from Maynooth at 5:25am Monday to Friday. It's meant to take about an hour and maybe it'd be even quicker that time of the morning but if you need to be at your desk by 7 then it might give you some breathing room. That' s what I plan to get for when I'm in at 7am but I have about a 12 minute walk from Merrion Square and I just can't be late! These are the timetables for the 66 and 67.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/67/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/66/

The 67 goes from the stop opposite the Glenroyal/Supervalu by the way!

Cheers Toanie!! Thats that problem solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

COYW wrote: »

For the record, the 66X (leaving Maynooth at 7.55) takes 55 mins on average to get to the city centre. Journey time would be 10 mins quicker if it didn't stop at every stop in the housing estates of Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

If you wanted to be extra safe then the 67 goes from Maynooth at 5:25am Monday to Friday.

That'd do it, but notice that it goes by Celbridge and Leixlip.

The 605 66 gets to O'Connell Bridge at about 650.

To be at the desk for 7am the 5.25am is probably the best option I'd say!

thee glitz wrote: »
    That'd do it, but notice that it goes by Celbridge and Leixlip.

The 605 66 gets to O'Connell Bridge at about 650.

Yeah I spotted that but I reckon it would still get in to city centre in about an hour or at least I hope so! Do you think that the 5:25 wouldn't make it for 7am then? I'm going to have a big problem if it doesn't :(

I'd just be afraid that if the 6:05 service was delayed at all that I'd be late and best case scenario, even if it did get to O'Connell Bridge for 6:50 I'd still have to run to make it to work for 7 and in all likelihood would still be late. My first shift at 7am is next Tuesday so I'll be getting the 5:25am that morning and I'll see how it goes!

And no problem Ladjacket! :)

Let us all know, I'll be praying for ya Toanie!!

• Advertisement

Haha, thanks! Will do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Yeah I spotted that but I reckon it would still get in to city centre in about an hour or at least I hope so! Do you think that the 5:25 wouldn't make it for 7am then? I'm going to have a big problem if it doesn't :(

I'd just be afraid that if the 6:05 service was delayed at all that I'd be late and best case scenario, even if it did get to O'Connell Bridge for 6:50 I'd still have to run to make it to work for 7 and in all likelihood would still be late. My first shift at 7am is next Tuesday so I'll be getting the 5:25am that morning and I'll see how it goes!

And no problem Ladjacket! :)

If it's any help I've caught the 5:25am 67 bus a couple of times and it's got to Parkgate Street, just before the North quays, at 6:15am. The big advantage is that there's no traffic and it reaches the City centre and the same time every morning.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Its a manageable bike ride, too: I average 45mins door-to-door (Thomas st)

Thanks for that vektarman :) Least I don't have to worry about being late anyway!

I don't know about cycling now! Ha, maybe in a few months though. I'd have to get a bit (actually make that a lot) fitter first!

Hi! Just to let ye know I got the 67 service at 5:25am this morning and it was perfect! It left Maynooth on time and got to the last stop at Merrion Square at 6:25am or close enough so only took the hour and I just had a short walk then to my work in Stephen's Green with plenty of time to spare!
    :)

Hi! Just to let ye know I got the 67 service at 5:25am this morning and it was perfect! It left Maynooth on time and got to the last stop at Merrion Square at 6:25am or close enough so only took the hour and I just had a short walk then to my work in Stephen's Green with plenty of time to spare!
    :)

Good to hear toannie, okay it's an early start to the day but at least you're in work in plenty of time and can relax with a tea/coffee or something to eat to set you up for the day.

Yeah exactly! :) And I won't have 7am shifts every week either so it's grand!

How much is the fare on that Toanie?

It's the standard €2.80 fare but toannie might confirm that.

• Advertisement

Yeah vektarman you're right, the fare to city centre from Maynooth is €2.80 and always is at any time of the day. And it's €4.40 for the express service.

I've been getting the 5 day rambler ticket for the last two weeks and it's really handy. If you're going to be going in and out to city centre every day you should definitely get one ladjacket. There's other monthly ones as well but that's just what I can afford at the moment!

Advertisement