Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have car licence - trying to get learner permit

• 01-02-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi

Long time lurker and have benefited from advice on these forums - so thought I better chip in, in the hope that it'll help someone else.

As the title says, I have a full car licence for years and recently decided to get a learners permit and do the IBT etc. So far, with the new forms since 19 Jan, I've learnt:
    1. If you have a car licence and you are applying for a learners permit, then you need to send your car licence off along with your completed application form (D201) for the learners permit
    2. If your existing car licence does not have your current address then you need to include a full licence application form (D401) for the purposes of updating your address. This needs to include two passport photos and a utility bill. In my case, they haven't requested a fee for updating my old licence.

Hopefully this might help someone

BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Hi

Long time lurker and have benefited from advice on these forums - so thought I better chip in, in the hope that it'll help someone else.

As the title says, I have a full car licence for years and recently decided to get a learners permit and do the IBT etc. So far, with the new forms since 19 Jan, I've learnt:
    1. If you have a car licence and you are applying for a learners permit, then you need to send your car licence off along with your completed application form (D201) for the learners permit
    2. If your existing car licence does not have your current address then you need to include a full licence application form (D401) for the purposes of updating your address. This needs to include two passport photos and a utility bill. In my case, they haven't requested a fee for updating my old licence.
    Hopefully this might help someone

BB

Sorry where does it say that? If you have an existing LP then you have to send it away with your application but a full cage licence has nothing to do with a bike LP.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Sorry where does it say that? If you have an existing LP then you have to send it away with your application but a full cage licence has nothing to do with a bike LP.

On the form that they returned to me! - handwritten albeit, so maybe a solo run by an official in the tax office. I don't have an existing LP just a Theory Cert so maybe this has something to do with it.
    BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

On the form that they returned to me! - handwritten albeit, so maybe a solo run by an official in the tax office. I don't have an existing LP just a Theory Cert so maybe this has something to do with it.
    BB

I have my learner permit (green card) for about 2 weeks now, never had to hand in my car driving licence nor did i come across anything that wanted it (bar my driver number for the LP form). I just headed into my local motor tax office, filled out the form, gave um my pictures, Theory Cert, a robbing €35 :rolleyes: and presto i got my card in the mail!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Robbknoll wrote: »
    I have my learner permit (green card) for about 2 weeks now, never had to hand in my car driving licence nor did i come across anything that wanted it (bar my driver number for the LP form). I just headed into my local motor tax office, filled out the form, gave um my pictures, Theory Cert, a robbing €35 :rolleyes: and presto i got my card in the mail!

I'm really fed up now! I've now no clue as to why they wanted my car licence. It'll be interesting to see what I get back. In the old system, did they require the car licence perhaps and some official isn't up to speed with the new process? In any event, glad you got yours sorted Robbknoll without all this hassle..

BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm really fed up now! I've now no clue as to why they wanted my car licence. It'll be interesting to see what I get back. In the old system, did they require the car licence perhaps and some official isn't up to speed with the new process? In any event, glad you got yours sorted Robbknoll without all this hassle..

BB

I never handed in my full licence for any provisional/permit. I don't see why they'd need it as your licence number is the same for all classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Del2005 wrote: »
    I never handed in my full licence for any provisional/permit. I don't see why they'd need it as your licence number is the same for all classes.

+1 Exactly. The person in the motor tax office was talking outa their arse.

Advertisement