Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to record from UPC box onto DVDs or computer?

Options
  • 01-02-2013 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

My UPC box seems to die every few months for no apparent reason. I've had UPC at the house about 4 times in the last year and each time they have to give me a new box and I lose all my recordings. Even they don't know why my box ceases to work.

Anyway my question is, is it possible to record/copy the stuff from my UPC box onto another form of media so that if my box goes again, I still have all the recordings. I'd imagine the UPC box has some kind of memory card or something inside, anyone any ideas? Thanks

(by the way, reason I want to copy some stuff is because my children have some favourite movies and cartoons that they rewatch a lot and I don't want to lose them).

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I reckon the recordings are encrypted so probably no easy way to extract them unfortunately, there may also be legal issues with this, however recording a recorded TV show to a DVD may be an option.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

yoyo wrote: »
    I reckon the recordings are encrypted so probably no easy way to extract them unfortunately, there may also be legal issues with this, however recording a recorded TV show to a DVD may be an option.

Nick

Thanks. It's the ones on the UPC box that I just want a back-up of. How do you mean they might be encrypted? Sorry, I'm not v techy!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks. It's the ones on the UPC box that I just want a back-up of. How do you mean they might be encrypted? Sorry, I'm not v techy!

Those UPC boxes have a smart card authentication system that decrypts the encrypted television streams that come trough, only decrypting what services you are subscribed for.
    I reckon for the recorded shows they would also need decrypting in a similar fashion, that only the box, along with your smart card would do.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

Those UPC boxes have a smart card authentication system that decrypts the encrypted television streams that come trough, only decrypting what services you are subscribed for.
    I reckon for the recorded shows they would also need decrypting in a similar fashion, that only the box, along with your smart card would do.

Nick

Oh, ok thanks. No way around it? I couldn't buy a decrypting device anywhere (assuming I managed to figure out how to record?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Oh, ok thanks. No way around it? I couldn't buy a decrypting device anywhere (assuming I managed to figure out how to record?)

Out of curiosity I did a quick search... UPC are using the NagraVision3 encryption, and there's Nagra3 decoders on the web.
    Although you probably need the UPC specific encryption key too?
    I'm not sure if that's just to unscramble paid channels, or whether there's software which can decrypt recordings offline.

But a more straightforward way of copying stuff would be to play the movie(s) on the UPC box, let it decrypt the contents, but take the HDMI cable out of the back of the TV and plug it into a recording device.

That might be an unencrypted DVR, or maybe some USB / TV capture card.
    The problem there, is that you need the play every program and stop it with you think it's finished, eg. 90 mins long. Very time consuming.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity I did a quick search... UPC are using the NagraVision3 encryption, and there's Nagra3 decoders on the web.
    Although you probably need the UPC specific encryption key too?
    I'm not sure if that's just to unscramble paid channels, or whether there's software which can decrypt recordings offline.

But a more straightforward way of copying stuff would be to play the movie(s) on the UPC box, let it decrypt the contents, but take the HDMI cable out of the back of the TV and plug it into a recording device.

That might be an unencrypted DVR, or maybe some USB / TV capture card.
    The problem there, is that you need the play every program and stop it with you think it's finished, eg. 90 mins long. Very time consuming.

Thank you SO MUCH! I don't mind the long timeframe it takes to copy...there are just about 5 movies I want to copy so it'll be worth it. Many, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thank you SO MUCH! I don't mind the long timeframe it takes to copy...there are just about 5 movies I want to copy so it'll be worth it. Many, many thanks

instead of going to the time & expense that would cost for just 5 movies, surely it would be easier to head over to amazon.co.uk and buy them?

jameshayes wrote: »

instead of going to the time & expense that would cost for just 5 movies, surely it would be easier to head over to amazon.co.uk and buy them?

Maybe but if there are any other programmes that come up in the future I want to be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I've lost a lot of recorded stuff because of a crap UPC box as well.
    Bring back VHS :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fishplate7

Hi This is a topic which really interests me! I recently upgraded to the UPC Digital Plus service (HD etc). With the previous UPC service I had, the mediabox (which had no hard drive) allowed me to output a signal via scart to my Sony RDR-HX720 dvd/hard drive recorder (scarts only, no HDMI). I was able to record programmes and keep them for my own use and burn them to dvd. There was no problem with encryption etc.

The new UPC mediabox has a HDMI and a scart output. However both will not work at the same time as far as I can see. The very basic information supplied with it says both should never be connected at the same time! The HDMI is then connected to the TV. I have the scart connected to the Sony RDR-HX720 - I get sound only, no picture, and cannot get any further.

So the options I see are as follows:

1. Disconnect the HDMI output from the Mediabox, connect the scart output from the mediabox to the input on the Sony RDR-HX720 and record as I use to be able to do. The scart output from the Sony RDR-HX720 is then connected to a cable converter to allow it to plug into the TV (there are no scarts). However I will lose the benefit of HD as there will be no HDMI cable connected, and I wont be able to use the hard drive on the new mediabox to record!! I have not tried this yet so cannot say if it works.

2. Keep the HDMI output from the mediabox to the TV but split the signal and convert one from digital to analogue and using component or scart to connect it into the back of the Sony RDR-HX720. From what I can find out this seems to be very difficult to achieve. Has anybody any ideas on this?

2. Keep the HDMI output to the TV, split the signal and feed one into a new hard drive/media device unit. It would need a HDMI input. Does anyone know of a suitable media device for this?

Does anyone have any other ideas on this? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Dont have UPC so not sure of your specifics

But

HDMI is designed to prevent copying of HD content. That is its basic task, not enhancement of quality as many people think. It is not just a cable, it connects 2 controllers which basically says " if you see a recorder at the other end then don't allow transmission". They operate to the HDCP standard.

Have seen a few "convertor" devices on amazon that claim to get around this but never tried them and I very much doubt them.
    Any device that is HDCP compliant won't work. By memory there was some German company that made something but even now I believe they have become compliant.

You can't record from a HDMI input.

Advertisement