Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out for first time - bill costs and tips

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

hi everyone

im moving into a 2 bed apartment with my best friend soon and it will be my first time moving out of home. we're both females in our early 20s and on a budget so trying to work out how much bills will be so we can decide what we have to spend on rent.

if anyone could give me a rough cost of their bills per week/month it would mean a lot to me. and any tips for moving out in general

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Hi there, I movedin with my friend a few months ago, our bills are:
    ESB 150 per 2 months (that38 a month each)
    UPC 40 per month (20 each)
    broadband 30 month (15 each)
    Bin (160 per 6 months)
    our heat is encluded in ESB prices
    Then the normal stuff such as mobile phone, food, etc.
    But you can be wise with a lot of stuff, go to Dealz and the likes for toothpastes, health&beauty and cleaning products - save a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

thanks a million for the reply :) i live at home now but pay rent and towards the bills, also buy my own food toiletries etc. so am used to shopping on a budget, just hard to figure out a guide price for bills as i just give money towards them

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreamer2009

Hi, I'm renting a 3 bed house with two others and our bills would roughly be:
    ESB every two months is about €180 in summer to about €240 in winter.
    Phone and internet every month is €50
    Oil about €600 per year
    TV Licence is €180 per year
    Bins €28 per month
    Sky €30
    Something to watch out for is if you live in an estate or apartment with management fee's you can add a bill of anywhere between €800- €1500 a year.

Another thing is if you are not used to shopping for things like dishwasher tablets,toilet paper,handwash and cleaning items add about €10-€15 to your usual cost of shopping to account for those kind of things. I know that I had no clue what those added up to until i moved out.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

My advice would be not to go near anywhere with storage heaters.They make for huge ESB bills IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

im moving into a 2 bed apartment with my best friend soon and it will be my first time moving out of home.
    Sort out beforehand what both of your expectations are in terms of cleanliness/household tasks/noise/guests. She may be your best friend but that doesn't mean you'll be compatible housemates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Something to watch out for is if you live in an estate or apartment with management fee's you can add a bill of anywhere between €800- €1500 a year.
    thats not down to the renter. the landlord covers those costs as an owner and if he/she dosen't then you are getting rode. as renters don't have a vote in AGM or any decisions they are not liable for any management fees. any problems they have go through landlord via management company therefore renting an apartment is no problem in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you go with a house over an apt, you will have to pay your own individual bin charges. Apts generally have a communal skip & recycling bins that every one just tosses their rubbish into, at no cost to the renter. The charges for the pick ups are paid by the apt owners via their monthly mgt association fee. The land lord may or may not pass those fees on to you in your rent. If you live in a house, you'll have to pay for the privledge of having your own individual bins picked up, so do your sums and your research on all that, as it can add a fair few bob to your house hold bills.

Advertisement