Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed abt bringing this up with my Dad

• 01-02-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

When I got my ears pierced in September my Dad promised me some real diamond studs for my birthday which is in 3 weeks. Back then he had a good job. Now he's been laid off and he's on the broo.

Today he said we'd go shopping for them at the weekend.

It isn't that I don't want them, I'd love a pair, but I don't want him to get into debt or go without something important for them. How do I ask him to get me a cheap pair of fake ones instead (€15 Cubic Zirconia / silver from Argos) without making him feel "inadequate" or guilty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When you go to the shops just tell him you think the cheaper pair are nicer and you'd feel a lot better wearing that pair in case you lost the diamond pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Great advice January....:)
    I know if I was shopping with my daughter and she said she'd prefer the cheaper ones cos all her friends had them or she just liked the look of them, then I'd be none the wiser!!!!

Have to say fair play to you OP for being so in tune to your dad's feelings:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

What a lovely thoughtful girl you are to think like this :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep just pick out a cheaper pair, maybe find a pair that are your birthstone etc

Well done, you sound like a really considerate daughter.

I hope you enjoy the earrings you get, and have a lovely birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

When I got my ears pierced in September my Dad promised me some real diamond studs for my birthday which is in 3 weeks. Back then he had a good job. Now he's been laid off and he's on the broo.

Today he said we'd go shopping for them at the weekend.

It isn't that I don't want them, I'd love a pair, but I don't want him to get into debt or go without something important for them. How do I ask him to get me a cheap pair of fake ones instead (€15 Cubic Zirconia / silver from Argos) without making him feel "inadequate" or guilty?

You know what Alannah Gallagher, this is one lovely post to read! Truly :) Happy Birthday!

Don't ask him for the cheaper version, just show him the ones you are now thinking about and telling him that they are what you would like. I love how thoughtful your post is and I would be willing to bet that if you do receive the 'Cubic Zirconia' earrings you reference here, that you would be surprised at how happier in yourself you will be and they would be appreciated more by you when you think of them.

Just tell him they are what everyone is wearing; they are what you would prefer though he probably won't believe you. You could say that you would prefer the diamond earrings in a year or two instead as you would be sure you could mind them better then?

Well done again on this post, brought a smile to my face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Hi Alannah, I am very impressed by your thoughtfulness, you and your dad deserve a pat on the back!!

As the others have said just pick out a cheaper pair and if he is not convinced say you would be too worried about losing them as your friends are always losing theirs and you want to be able to wear the earrings without worrying.

Happy birthday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Happy (belated) Birthday Alannah,

I agree with all of the above advice, but I mostly wanted to post to let you know I think you've a beautiful attitude. You have restored my faith in "young wans" and as a father of 2 small girls I hope they grow up with similar sensibilities.

Thanks again and enjoy your birthday and gifts.

Advertisement