Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden power tools

• 01-02-2013 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

So we're buying a house with a garden that needs a lot of work - large, high hedges and long grass etc. I had intended to buy well branded corded garden power tools to include a hedge trimmer and grass strimmer but have been looking around at petrol alternatives. Cost rules a lot of them out.
    However i noticed a Ryobi multi tool type thing that claims to be inter changable between hedge trimmers, grass strimmers etc. This should be the link - http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Ryobi-26cc-Line-Trimmer-with-Easy-Start-andamp-Hedgetrimmer-Attachment/17449/4.1.9
    Has anyone here used this tool and how did they find it? And as a hedge trimmer how would it compare to say a decent corded 600 watt machine? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

So we're buying a house with a garden that needs a lot of work - large, high hedges and long grass etc. I had intended to buy well branded corded garden power tools to include a hedge trimmer and grass strimmer but have been looking around at petrol alternatives. Cost rules a lot of them out.
    However i noticed a Ryobi multi tool type thing that claims to be inter changable between hedge trimmers, grass strimmers etc. This should be the link - http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Ryobi-26cc-Line-Trimmer-with-Easy-Start-andamp-Hedgetrimmer-Attachment/17449/4.1.9
    Has anyone here used this tool and how did they find it? And as a hedge trimmer how would it compare to say a decent corded 600 watt machine? Thanks

I use a lot of power tool in my work and you get what you pay for.
    Without seeing the type of work to be carried out its hsrd to comment, but these super duper all in one tools that do everything are best avoided if you have a lot of work in store for it. Most are made in china and are only good enough for very light work. What happens is people use them for work they werent intended to do, and thus they break down quickly. Buy a decent petrol hedge trimmer and a big strimmer and you wong be disappionted. Tip, some hire shops sell off old stock at reasonable prices. But make sure they decent quality.
    You will never go far wrong with stihl tools.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

I second what the poster above says.

You definitely get what you pay for with garden tools. A saving in the short term often means spending more long term through repairing and replacing the machine.

Stihl are the big name in 2 stroke machines, however you can pay a premium for the name alone. Tanaka are just as good in my opinion and will not cost as much as the Stihl or Husqvarna.

Below is a link to the Stihl and Tanaka entry models. Both brands do a few different engine units, however their base models would suit 90% of domestic users.

http://www.esaleslocal.com/poletrimmers.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best advice I can give to anyone buying petrol garden machinery is to buy a gallon of Aspen premixed two stroke fuel.
    Using this fuel will save a lot of hassle with equipment laid up over winter.
    The standard pump petrol you buy will not store well for more than a month, it ends up gumming up carbs and causing a lot of hassle.
    While its more expensive it has a 4 year shelf life and is very clean.
    Premixed pump fuel is fine for regular use but it absorbs water over time and if stored deteriorates very fast.
    For 4 stroke machinery like lawnmowers you can buy a non oil mix version which will do the same thing.

Advertisement