Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jars of meat paste, Cork?

Options
  • 01-02-2013 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen little jars of salmon paste/chicken and ham paste/beef paste anywhere for sale in Cork? Tesco seemed to have a wide range, then completely purge them, occasionally returning one small tray every few months, which instantly disappears. (So it can't be that they can't sell them!) Only other place I've seen them in years is M&S, who have been known to sell "own brand" meat paste, somewhat grandly entitled "potted meat", for thrice the price of what the "name" brands used to go for.

Is this a rare case of British and Irish tastes having radically diverged, or is it just one meat processing scare too many that's got rid of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've seen them in Aldi in Dublin.

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

At a wild guess - try the english market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Thanks, I'll try both of those. Haven't stumbled across it in Aldi in these parts, but I'm not a very regular shopper there. (Shop by cycle, and I seem to live equidistant between about three different ones... and not especially close.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I may have dreamt this but I think I saw some in Dealz .

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

They had loads in Tesco Midleton today, but in the aisle with nuttella and jam, think they used to be by the mayo and stuff?
    They had chicken, chicken & stuffing, chicken & ham, ham and beef (i think) and salmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

http://www.princes.co.uk/images/products/chicken-ham-paste.jpg

This is on sale in SuperValu in Carrigaline, if that's what you are looking for.

Thanks for the tips, people! I'll check in Dealz and start a search pattern of the different SuperValu's and Tesco's out from my location -- hopefully there will be one before I get out as far as Midleton or Carrigaline, but if that's what it takes...

Sorry to zombify my own thread, but just to belatedly confirm what beer rev was saying: Dealz has Princes salmon paste, and something of a snip at a packet of three for €1.

Addendum! Tesco at Mahon Point has a shelf with about six different sorts, mainly ownbrand with a couple of Princes. Couple of them were out-of-stock, however.

Advertisement