Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick up/put down technique

Options
  • 01-02-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

We have a 4 month old that will only sleep after breast feeding during the day and at night time. We will be sending her to a crèche in two months so would like her to be able to self sooth by then.

3 days ago we tried the pick up/put down technique.

Day 1. Cried hysterically initially and after an hour was so exhausted she eventually fell asleep in her cot

Day 2. Similar to day 1 put a little better. Feel asleep exhausted after an hour.

Day 3. She was very grumpy during the day (unusual for her) Pick up/put down technique was a disaster! Cried even more hysterically than the first night, eventually fell asleep through exhaustion after an hour but woke up after 15 minutes in hysterics again. Took another hour to get her back to sleep again but woke after 15 minutes in hysterics again so we just gave up as we didn't want to see her sooo upset for so long.

Do you think we should keep trying to try a different technique?

I'm thinking she was only so bad last night as she was having a grumpy day but I'm worried that we undid all the good work of the first two nights by giving in last night.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

Hi, we had exact same issue.
    We tried the PU - PD technique with our baby at the same age and it was a disaster. It seemed to just wind him up more and more. We tried for about 5 days but wasn't getting anywhere with it so stopped and left it for a few days, and then tried a different technique - the controlled crying, where you leave the baby to cry for increasing intervals (no picking them up, just go in and say hello and let them know you are there at increasing intervals - 2, 5, 7 then 10 mins). This worked great and with some success after just a day and then no crying at all by about day 4. No regrets and baby is a great sleeper now.
    The PU / PD technique has worked for a few of my friends though.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

That's the Ferber, but even he doesn't recommend using this method so early... something to consider :)
    If I were you I wouldn't implement any techniques, you still have two months, she might surprise you. Mine decided on her own she didn't want to nurse to sleep any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah think the baby is too young for the pupd method too. Have you tried the no cry sleep solution? Elizabeth Pantley has a book about it that you can buy or rent from the library. Google it either, I think the basics of it are available online. Otherwise you could try the hush/pat technique (that's what we used when my little one was smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Yeah think the baby is too young for the pupd method too. Have you tried the no cry sleep solution? Elizabeth Pantley has a book about it that you can buy or rent from the library. Google it either, I think the basics of it are available online. Otherwise you could try the hush/pat technique (that's what we used when my little one was smaller.

So we tried the pupd technique again just to see if there was any improvement but it was horrible again. Baby in hysterics. So we tried the Pantley method (i had bought the book a while back) and she fell asleep in her cot herself! Not sure if it was eventual exhaustion or the relief of finally getting her comfort milk drink or just a total fluke but I'll be reading the Pantley method in detail tomorrow and will try that instead!

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement