Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil series reboot??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The REmake on the cube got EVERYTHING right. Top 5 game ever for me personally. It still looks and plays amazing and as far as classic resident evil goes it is the best example in my opinion. Honestly would love Res2 to get a similar treatment but its not going to happen (fingers still crossed). Res 4 was a master piece but I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are better examples of how the Res4 formula could have progressed than Res5 or 6.

I don't think Resident evil could go back to tank controls and fixed camera angles. I honestly think if Resident evil 5 was a solo campaign and tried less it would have been a fantastic Res game rather than just a very good game. I remember when they first announced it was going to be sunny Africa and how spending too much time in the sunlight would cause Chris to start hallucinating like in eternal darkness and you would have to monitor your hydration levels along with ammo etc. That would have been awesome.

Resident Evil 6 is the first (main)game in the series I still haven't played. Heck I bought every title from 2 to 5 on release day. No idea what that means but I'm sure it means something. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Azza wrote: »
    What your suggesting are quite radical departures from what RE has ever been both old and new.

The second suggestion (soldier vs early invincible zombies) is, but is the first one? Its been a while since I've played the old ones, but you did have quite limited amounts of ammo and inventory space to carry things, and the guns didn't really get especially big and powerful (end boss rocket launcher aside). I don't remember being able to melee kill zombies before Resi 4 too (I think you could get a knife, though it was essentially useless).

What I'm suggesting is a way to bring the series back to survival horror (but still be a derivation of what came before, rather than just an exact copy of it) by having characters who aren't especially capable at killing zombies. You shouldn't be able to unarmed melee kill a zombie in a survival horror (outside of maybe stomping on the head of one crawling on the floor).

The second suggestion was a thought on how to get survival horror but with a character who starts off seeming very capable (ie survival never under question) and then having that pulled out from under him (ie survival horror despite the character seeming very capable of killing zombies):
    Maybe you start off as a well supplied mercenary sent in to some castle to capture some scientist, but find its full of zombies. And at first they drop like flies to your easily placed headshots from your well stocked precision rifle. But then, they get back up. Head is gone, but still moving and able to grab and slow you down to let other zombies bite you. Removing the head doesn't work because they are infected by a blood based parasite, which invades all parts of the body and acts a separate neural network throughout the bloodstream (or some other science-y sounding nonsense :)) . And what's worse, other nearby zombies now can survive headshots. When the first zombies got shot, they released spores which caused nearby zombies heads to calcify and harden against gunshots (shooting any part of a zombie will cause nearby zombies to harden in similar areas). So now, despite seeming so well armed and trained, the zombies will always appear one step ahead of you, always adapting to new weapon types.
    Use a shotgun? Nearby zombies will mutate - sternum, abdominals, thighs and shin bone tearing forward through skin and calcifying to create an armor that can drop to leave a squishy and soggy virulent centre (that will splash poison on you if you shoot from too close a range).
    Use grenades? The zombies eventually create massive boils full of a parasitic liquid that vaporises in the explosion and leave behind toxic clouds of gas.
    The more you use a weapon the less effective it becomes, and not just short term. Eventually spores from defeated zombies get everywhere and zombies just start getting more effective at counter your guns in general, even in new areas where you haven't used them.
    At no point in the game do you ever feel used to what's happening, that you are over coming it at any level. You are only ever simply surviving, despite your characters skill and equipment.

Just a thought :D

Its funny but in some ways, the later Resident Evil games (4 onwards) make perfect sense. Resi 1 has a swat team, end up under supplied in an environment they've never had to deal with before and the atmosphere is unavoidably survival horror. They are simply trying to survive in a horrific situation. But after a few games of doing this they get better at it. They get used to it. The horror can still be there, new types of zombie monsters, bigger and uglier than before, but it make sense that the surviving characters can now handle themselves with relative ease. Even to the point of going toe to toe in unarmed combat. The problem is this the atmosphere is now unavoidably action. Its almost like the transition from Alien (small, under supplied/experienced group = survival horror) to Aliens (larger, better supplied/experienced group = action).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thought the enemies in Chris and Jakes campaign where more interesting to fight than the zombies in Leon's campaign. The atmosphere was better in Leon's campaign.

Is Gears of War that bad a series to be compared to. I heard they where quite good games?

Most would say the amount of tension was reduced in 4 considerable from the early games in the series. I agree thought its still got more than 5 or 6 which are nearly complete void of it.

Nowt wrong with Gears as a series at all, but if I wanted to play Gears I'd play that. Capcom seemed to go "well people love Gears and COD these days, lets make Resi6 like that!" action packed military shooter with zero tension.

There was tension in 4, those things you could only kill with the infrared scope, any time a group of villagers or monks were steadily moving towards you as you were running out of ammo, definitely less than trying to move around say the house in 1 after the Hunters arrive though, god I hated those things. One of the best moments in any of the games is that bit where you go back into the mansion after you're out in the gardens and lab area and then you see a cutscene of something's pov tearing through the route you just did, fantastic moment.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The Rasklapanje enemy had the same effect in 6 as the Regenerators did in 4 and showed up more frequently too.
    They are indestructible and the kill in 1 hit when they are fully joined together.

Shooting them cuts them in half which makes them less deadly and shooting them while there in half immobilizes them for a while but they do reform eventually. They also can fire there hands like a facehunger which attaches to your face impairing your view. These enemies usually appear in area's where you need to unlock several doors or find key cards. The key cards in Ada's campaign for example are in alot of one entrance/exit door which make it quite tense when you know 2-3 of these enemies are chasing you around along with other enemies. I think the keycards are assigned random locations too on each playthrough.

Even more scary is when you play with Agent Hunt mode on and these guys are controlled by people. They can pull of ambushes are time attacks when your distracted with other enemy types. Pretty fun and tense stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Rasklapanje enemy had the same effect in 6 as the Regenerators did in 4 and showed up more frequently too..

One of the great things about the Regenerators and Iron Maidens was that their use was sparing. If they were in too many rooms, their impact would be dulled. Instead, we got to fight them in very close quarters with a weapon poorly suited to that kind of situation. Every time that eerie music played, a shudder went down my spine. When they made RE5, they added a lot more 1 hit kill moves which just ended up ruining the combat a bit. The reapers just didn't have the same impact in my opinion.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The Reapers where pretty uncommon in 5 as well in fairness.
    There is also quite a few tactics to defeat them which are listed in the link below.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Reaper

Bare in mind with the Rasklapanje enemy type in RE6 they do appear considerable more than the Regenerators or Repears did but RE6 is a considerably longer game than 4 or 5. There frequency did not affect the tension factor for me at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

My tactic for dealing with the reaper involved a shotgun to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

How about for the next RE7 which will obviously be next gen now they have it feature both camera systems for both types of fans

press select and it will bring you back to classic mode
    press select again and your back in 3rd person shooter mode

Thats what GTA has done surely it cant be that hard to do.

And maybe to win back fan support a remake of RE2 could be done with the current engine they have they have the layouts,story,characters of the game all they have to do is rebuild it with a few twists here and there it worked back in 02 with REmake why not do it again.

I don't think RE7 will be a full on reboot but it will be more like RE4 in the sense that its a new era in the story RE could still go right back to horror the storys universe allows for that .

Set the character as Claire or a brand new character and have her/him on there own in a creepy location.

RE6 missed out big time with the IVY uni location so much more could have been done there because the university's in USA are huge we could have explored dorms,science labs, huge ass lecture halls, hallways, basements,
    Crimson hunters or lickers could have been roaming in some of these areas

could have even included a dank and dark lab underneath the universcity with some students being experimented on could have seen some horrifying creatures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I don't remember being able to melee kill zombies before Resi 4 too (I think you could get a knife, though it was essentially useless).

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »

I didn't say it was impossible to just use the knife :p, I just said it was essentially useless, and it kinda is. The narrator of the video points out towards the end of part 1 that he only needs to kill four zombies in the entire game (besides bosses). Almost every enemy can be out maneuvered because of their fairly poor AI (they all will veer to one side after a few steps, even if you just back straight away). And he only manages that because he knows where most of the zombies are gong to be because of how many times he's played it.

Cool video though, I like how he beats the Tyrant with the knife (run around in circles for ages and catch it with the backswing of his knife slash a load of times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

biggebruv wrote: »
    How about for the next RE7 which will obviously be next gen now they have it feature both camera systems for both types of fans

press select and it will bring you back to classic mode
    press select again and your back in 3rd person shooter mode

That would require way too many compromises. RE6's problem was that it tried to satisfy everybody and ended up pleasing almost nobody. If they did try that switchable camera thing it would end up being a lot like that RE3.5 thing, an awkward convergence of horror and third person shooting. They wouldn't be able to do proper aiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not sure how much of a reboot is needed per se but the numbered series definitely needs to be refocused. It's not like there aren't great Resident Evil games (or game) being made, Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS is the best RE game since Resident Evil 4. Get back to that kind of gameplay and you're back onto a winner.

I'm not sure how much of a reboot is needed per se but the numbered series definitely needs to be refocused. It's not like there aren't great Resident Evil games (or game) being made, Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS is the best RE game since Resident Evil 4. Get back to that kind of gameplay and you're back onto a winner.

Revelations is good but it had some significant flaws. Still thankfully home console and PC users will get to play it in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

snausages wrote: »
    That would require way too many compromises. RE6's problem was that it tried to satisfy everybody and ended up pleasing almost nobody. If they did try that switchable camera thing it would end up being a lot like that RE3.5 thing, an awkward convergence of horror and third person shooting. They wouldn't be able to do proper aiming.

o yeah completely forgot about the aiming well that's screwed then LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't see why we need the tank controls and fixed cameras. If it were me, I'd basically do a solo, full length version of the Lost in Nightmares DLC for Resi 5 as the next game.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't see why we need the tank controls and fixed cameras. If it were me, I'd basically do a solo, full length version of the Lost in Nightmares DLC for Resi 5 as the next game.

This exactly! I only played a small bit of Lost In Nightmares (really need to give it another go) but it proved they can go go back to survival horror with this gen mechanics.

Maybe this is the future of the RE franchise. Its doing quite well in Japan.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    This exactly! I only played a small bit of Lost In Nightmares (really need to give it another go) but it proved they can go go back to survival horror with this gen mechanics.

You really should. Frankly, I'm amazed that Capcom is treating 2 of it's main franchises this way. Surely, DLC is the best way to try new things as opposed to alienating the fanbase which has made the franchise as popular as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drummer76

So if I download the resident evil 1, 2, and 3 bundle will the ntsc versions of 2 and 3 work on my pal ps3? I don't want to download it expecting 3 games and only being able to play 1. Has anyone downloaded it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

drummer76 wrote: »
    So if I download the resident evil 1, 2, and 3 bundle will the ntsc versions of 2 and 3 work on my pal ps3? I don't want to download it expecting 3 games and only being able to play 1. Has anyone downloaded it yet?

They'll work over HDMI and will be way better than the PAL versions. The only reason they wouldn't work is if you are using a very cheap brand CRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drummer76

Thanks I know ntsc works at 30 fps and pal at 25 fps but I just thought there might be a compatability issue. (And it's a led tv so no issues with that)

It's a shame that you can't get the gamecube remake version of the original or resident evil 0

Advertisement