Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

View from the Shard

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Looks pretty cool alright :)

That said, I saw on the news this morning that admission costs are something like £90 for a family of four, which I'm guessing equates to £25/30 for a standard adult. Lovely though the view is, I'm not paying that much to see it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yeah I just saved you all 20 quid XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

That was great... Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's weird, I'd happily pay a similar amount of money to go up the empire state building - No way on earth I'll pay to go up the shard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Make sure and ask for your money back if it's not a sunny day as you would not see much if it is a dull overcast day like it was today. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There's already been a couple of proposals at the top of it :confused: Could there actually be anything less romantic than being proposed to in front of a load of reporters and photographers who are there to cover the Shard opening, and being congratulated by Boris fecking Johnson?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Scarinae wrote: »
    There's already been a couple of proposals at the top of it :confused: Could there actually be anything less romantic than being proposed to in front of a load of reporters and photographers who are there to cover the Shard opening, and being congratulated by Boris fecking Johnson?!

Being proposed to by Boris fecking Johnson?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Being proposed to by Boris fecking Johnson?

You're right actually, there are a lot of things involving Boris Johnson that would be a lot worse :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Some price comparisons.

Based on one online adult to the highest observation decks and exchange rates as of 3rd February 2013.

Eiffel Tower, Paris......................... 276 metres. €14 (£12.17)
    Empire State Building, New York.... 369 metres. $42 USD (£26.72)
    CN Tower, Toronto....................... 447 meters. $27.50 CAD (17.55)
    Fernsehturm, Berlin...................... 207 metres. €12 (£10.43)
    Ostankino Tower, Moscow.............. 340 metres. 1200 RUB (£26.56)
    Burj Khalifa, Dubai....................... 452 metres. 125 AED (£21.65)
    Canton Tower, Guangdong............ 488 metres (World's highest). 150 Yuan (£15.32)

The Shard, London....................... 245 metres. £24.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lapin wrote: »

But the Shard is over 300 metres heigh, right?

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    But the Shard is over 300 metres heigh, right?

Right. 309.6 metres to be exact.

But the measurements I provide above are for the highest point in each structure open to the public. Not the overall height of the buildings.

So while the overall height of the Shard is only 10 metres less than the Eiffel Tower, visitors to the Parisian landmark can admire the view from over 30 metres higher up than they can in London.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Lapin wrote: »
    Some price comparisons.

Based on one online adult to the highest observation decks and exchange rates as of 3rd February 2013.

Eiffel Tower, Paris......................... 276 metres. €14 (£12.17)
    Empire State Building, New York.... 369 metres. $42 USD (£26.72)
    CN Tower, Toronto....................... 447 meters. $27.50 CAD (17.55)
    Fernsehturm, Berlin...................... 207 metres. €12 (£10.43)
    Ostankino Tower, Moscow.............. 340 metres. 1200 RUB (£26.56)
    Burj Khalifa, Dubai....................... 452 metres. 125 AED (£21.65)
    Canton Tower, Guangdong............ 488 metres (World's highest). 150 Yuan (£15.32)

Prices for the Shard prices when booked in advance is £29.95 and children £23.95, I understand from the radio that it is far more expensive than that if you book on the day fast track it could be up to £90.00. You wont get me going up there that's for sure.

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/the-view-from-the-shard-tickets

Maura74 wrote: »
    Prices for the Shard prices when booked in advance is £29.95 and children £23.95, I understand from the radio that it is far more expensive than that if you book on the day fast track it could be up to £90.00. You wont get me going up there that's for sure.

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/the-view-from-the-shard-tickets

My source for price info was the Shard's own website which I'd trust before any other.

The sample booking in my link is for Friday 22 February at 17.30. But the price is the same for any time up to the end of May. (The furthest one can book ahead at this time.)

The website you provide above is a secondary one and they charge an extra fiver for the privilege of booking with them.

One of the many ways visitors to London are being ripped off before leaving their own homes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

When they call their tickets "Advance", I think it can be taken as a given that failure to book in advance gets you the privilege of paying extra for your ticket at the door. Which, given the already hefty price per person, is a bit cheeky.

There again, I still don't see it as anything other than a tourist trap. Something strikes me as inherently wrong about the idea of paying £25 for a view of the city where I live, especially when I've already done the London Eye with visiting family and seen what is, in many respects, the same view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I got a good view of the city last week from the top of the mindshare building in soho...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

seachto7 wrote: »
    I got a good view of the city last week from the top of the mindshare building in soho...

Is that who you interviewed with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

No, just a mate of mine from college works there. It would be a cool place to work though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

south east london looks very bleak!
    the highlight is milwall fc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was up on it this morning. Looking down on the London Eye it looks a bit mickey mouse now. It was very quiet there at around 9.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I can see my flat from that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Where is your flat? How far away?

Advertisement