If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.1 Speaker setup

Options
  • 01-02-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

John & co,

looking to get some speakers to hook up to the VSX421 which remains boxed under the stairs.

Was thinking I could start with a 2.1 or 3.1 and build it up from there as the budget might allow me to get better speakers than going with a full 5.1 package.

So the budget is close to 220 pounds, ideally bookshelf speakers as space is limited because the speakers need to sit on the TV rack. Sub space is not an issue.

Thanks,
    declan_8.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

declan_8 wrote: »
    John & co,

looking to get some speakers to hook up to the VSX421 which remains boxed under the stairs.

Was thinking I could start with a 2.1 or 3.1 and build it up from there as the budget might allow me to get better speakers than going with a full 5.1 package.

So the budget is close to 220 pounds, ideally bookshelf speakers as space is limited because the speakers need to sit on the TV rack. Sub space is not an issue.

Thanks,
    declan_8.
    Hi Declan,
    apologies for the delay getting back to you,

Yep you have to get that VSX421 out from storage :eek:.. and your idea of going 2.1 is a good way to build a decent system over time (I'd actually recommend 2.1 over 3.1 initially )

With £220 you can get some decent kit - my choice would be to go for the Cambridge S30 fronts with the S80 subwoofer and a decent Sub cable

The retails are:

S30 - £129.95 http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Cambridge-Audio-S30/
    S80 - £119.95 http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/cambridge-audio/s80/camb-s80-blk 

Total ex cable / delivery: £249.90

Boardie price: £219.95 including delivery and a decent sub cable.

If you pushed the budget out a little I can do the Monitor Audio BX1 Front speakers ( £179.95) and the Monitor Audio MSW10 subwoofer (£149.95) at £269.95 again including delivery and a decent sub cable..

Thanks again and keep me posted if any of these grabs your fancy,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Hi Declan,
    apologies for the delay getting back to you,

Yep you have to get that VSX421 out from storage .. and your idea of going 2.1 is a good way to build a decent system over time (I'd actually recommend 2.1 over 3.1 initially )

With £220 you can get some decent kit - my choice would be to go for the Cambridge S30 fronts with the S80 subwoofer and a decent Sub cable

The retails are:

S30 - £129.95 http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Cambridge-Audio-S30/
    S80 - £119.95 http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/cambridge-audio/s80/camb-s80-blk 

Total ex cable / delivery: £249.90

Boardie price: £219.95 including delivery and a decent sub cable.

If you pushed the budget out a little I can do the Monitor Audio BX1 Front speakers ( £179.95) and the Monitor Audio MSW10 subwoofer (£149.95) at £269.95 again including delivery and a decent sub cable..

Thanks again and keep me posted if any of these grabs your fancy,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
     PM'd you John.

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

PM'd you John.

Thanks.

Hi Declan,

John is currently out of the office.  If you'd like to send me a copy of the PM we could check it out for you.

Chris

John,

I responded to your PM.

We are not far from the ordering stage :p

Cheers,
    Declan.

John,

I responded to your PM.

We are not far from the ordering stage

Cheers,
    Declan.
    Hi Declan_8.

John is out of the office today so there might be a slight delay in him getting back to you.

If there is anything we can do at this end please let me know.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny, I just forwarded a copy of the PM to yourself.

Cheers.

Thanks Kenny, I just forwarded a copy of the PM to yourself.

Cheers.
    Hi Declan.

Just dropped you a little reply :)

Took delivery of an MSW10, BX1's and stands this morning, counting the hours now to get home now so I can set it up.

One query, what is the best way to connect the Sky+ HD box and Xbox( no hdmi ) to the receiver. Will the Sky box run fine through HDMI. Will it be possible to connect the Xbox or what cables will I need for it?

Thanks,
    Declan.

Took delivery of an MSW10, BX1's and stands this morning, counting the hours now to get home now so I can set it up.

One query, what is the best way to connect the Sky+ HD box and Xbox( no hdmi ) to the receiver. Will the Sky box run fine through HDMI. Will it be possible to connect the Xbox or what cables will I need for it?

Thanks,
    Declan.
    Hi Declan.

Glad you got your bits today :D

When connecting the Sky box you will need to use an optical for the audio as the HDMI does not carry Dolby Digital and again if the XBox has no HDMI you would need to use optical.

You can connect the HDMI from the Sky box to the TV and the optical to the amp.

Hope this helps. Any further questions please just let us know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.