Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go?

Options
  • 01-02-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

My Friend I are are leaving for Oz in June.
    We will spend 20days in Thailand first and arrive in Oz end of June.
    Flights and accom for Thailand is booked and paid for.

However, we are not really sure where to visit and where to settle in Oz ?

We are both in our early 20's so we will want to settle somewhere where we will mostly likely get work, good night life and good weather (I know it's winter when we arrive and the weather won't be great in most places) - it's probably not likely to get all these 3 in the one place?

We where planning on Sydney for a 1-2 weeks then on to Brisbane or Carin's to settle and find work.
    But then I heard that the work situation in Brisbane isn't great at the moment and there's not much nightlife or young people there.

Has anyone any suggestions or experience on where we should visit and where we should settle?
    to be honest the weather is not a big factor, I'd sooner settle somewhere we'd be likely to get work, make Friends, reasonably priced and that's lively enough.

We are not fussy on what work we'd get, office admin work would be suited though.

Also should €4000 each cover us till we find jobs etc ?

Appreciate all advice and opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ozsummer1

anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

U can rule out reasonably priced because no where in Australia is reasonably priced by Irish standards.

Weather? Further north you go in winter the warmer it gets.

Big cities; Sydney Melbourne Perth are where the work is but you won't be the only one who knows that so competition for jobs, particularly basic admin roles, will be fierce.

Craic/social life: there is an Irish area in all the big cities, go there.

$4k could be enough if u get a job early enough, don't go too mental when u arrive and don't mind slogging it out in a hostel til your first few pay checks come through.

Advertisement