Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another day, another Indo Property Cheerleading story

Options
  • 01-02-2013 11:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I'm not even going to bother linking it, usual twaddle, Brendan Keenan or Charlie Weston doing their best to stoke the beast back to life.
    The (S)Indo are the worst offenders but I do detect more optimism in the general coverage of the housing market.
    There may be some foundation to this optimism but these small improvements have a habit of being ramped up into bandwagons.

Surely the media need to exercise more control & balance this time around. Their part in the stoking of 2005-2008 has never been properly addressed, mostly because they feed the agenda for the masses.
    Regulate the banks, yes, but don't forget about the media.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

You just have to use the head.
    When things are going well you get all positive stories.
    When they are going badly you get all negative stories.
    When they are bouncing along them bottom there will be a mix of stories.
    as things start rising then there will be more positive stories than negative.
    Ignore the stories and look at the trend.
    My view is we are bouncing on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

MMAGirl wrote: »
    You just have to use the head.
    When things are going well you get vested interest media.
    When they are going badly you get vested interest media.
    When they are bouncing along them bottom there will be vested interest media.

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I would like to think that the journo's in question would have the ability to realise why there was a 'spike' towards the end of 2012....but I doubt it unfortunately:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

When they are going badly you get all negative stories.
    This is blatantly incorrect.

All the while prices were crashing between 2008 and now we were getting regular "reaching the bottom/prices stabilising/can't fall much further/buyers waiting to jump/never been better value" positive stories from the Indo and Times property journalists trying to pump up the market for their buddies the estate agents.

This is blatantly incorrect.

All the while prices were crashing between 2008 and now we were getting regular "reaching the bottom/prices stabilising/can't fall much further/buyers waiting to jump/never been better value" positive stories from the Indo and Times property journalists trying to pump up the market for their buddies the estate agents.

Or are you just reading the headline but not the news contained in the story?

All those you mentioned are still negative news, even if the writer is trying to sound positive.
    Actually READ into the news item and you can see if its positive or negative news.

Reaching the bottom implies still going down. Positive would be. We have already reached the bottom and are now on the way up.

Buyers waiting to jump is negative. Buyers jumping would be positive.

Cant fall much further = further to fall - negative.

Never been better value - Means absolutely nothing. The meaning of Value is different for everyone.

Prices stabilizing - means nothing. They are either falling or rising. Prices never stay stable unless a market is regulated to do so.

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »
    I would like to think that the journo's in question would have the ability to realise why there was a 'spike' towards the end of 2012....but I doubt it unfortunately:rolleyes:

There will be several 'spikes' before things start to move up.

There will be several 'spikes' before things start to move up.

Why would it move up?

Why would it move up?

It might not. But it wont be flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Why would it move up?
    It would move up if there is more demand than supply.

It would move up if there is more demand than supply.
    That shouldn't affect the majority of the market then...

• Advertisement
Advertisement