Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Offline Problem

• 01-02-2013 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hey guys

I've another problem with Steam :rolleyes:

Basically when I'm on Online mode all my games are there fully installed and updated ready to play
    I switch to Off-line mode and I've only 4 games left , the rest just vanish , they're not showing even as uninstalled , they just don't show !
    The 4 left are DOW 2 , Chaos Rising and COH + Tales of Valor

If i go into my steam folder and try to launch the missing games from there I get the error "failed to find Steam ?"

I go to online mode and they appear again and work perfectly :mad:

Anyone got any solutions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Did we need a 2nd thread for this?

Not every game is accessible offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

If you'd have read my post you'd get the problem , the games don't show up in the games list and these games are single player games , even if a game doesn't work in offline mode it should still show , these aren't showing and it says failed to find steam if i try to launch them from the steammapps folder , I checked and there is no other thread on this problem

The Witcher
    Skyrim
    GTA 4
    Shogun
    Empire :total War
    Napoleon
    Half life 2 + expansions
    Blood Money
    Mount and Blade War Band

Thats an example of some the single player games which are missing yet once I go online they show again , I've played steam Offline before and they worked fine and showed in the games list , it's a recent problem
    And no they're not being excluded by any filters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Have you tried running the games manually by going to their installation folder within the STEAM folder? What happens then?

You could also try Verifying the integrity of the files by right clicking on the game in the STEAM library, Properties, Local Files. This will ensure the game is fully ready.

Also, STEAM recently started a new system for compressing data, and it requires every game to be converted. I would suggest running the games you can not play while online to see if they need to be converted. This may then 'unlock' them for offline play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Falthyron wrote: »
    Have you tried running the games manually by going to their installation folder within the STEAM folder? What happens then?

You could also try Verifying the integrity of the files by right clicking on the game in the STEAM library, Properties, Local Files. This will ensure the game is fully ready.

Also, STEAM recently started a new system for compressing data, and it requires every game to be converted. I would suggest running the games you can not play while online to see if they need to be converted. This may then 'unlock' them for offline play.

Yup I did that , when i try to launch them from the steam folder I get an error "Steam Not Found"

Already Verified the files when in Online mode everything works fine , I've launched every game from online mode then switched back to offline and they vanish again ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It not something weird like the favorite games filter being applied in offline mode?

If not one of the old reliables for random steam weirdness is deleting the Clientregistry.blob file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Hmm, you could try uninstalling one of the games experiencing this problem and then re-install it.

If you'd have read my post you'd get the problem , the games don't show up in the games list and these games are single player games , even if a game doesn't work in offline mode it should still show , these aren't showing and it says failed to find steam if i try to launch them from the steammapps folder , I checked and there is no other thread on this problem

The Witcher
    Skyrim
    GTA 4
    Shogun
    Empire :total War
    Napoleon
    Half life 2 + expansions
    Blood Money
    Mount and Blade War Band

Thats an example of some the single player games which are missing yet once I go online they show again , I've played steam Offline before and they worked fine and showed in the games list , it's a recent problem
    And no they're not being excluded by any filters

Those games don't work in offline mode, you need a connection to steam to authenticate them, as was covered in the other thread...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BizzyC wrote: »

Those games don't work in offline mode, you need a connection to steam to authenticate them, as was covered in the other thread...

Most of those games work just fine in offline mode, and that is not the OPs problem anyway as has already been pointed out to you.

I've played steam Offline before and they worked fine and showed in the games list , it's a recent problem
    Didn't read that bit properly.

I can't speak for all the games, but i do know from experience that
    The Witcher, Skyrim & the Total War games do not work at all without a steam connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Download their "client repair tool." Should solve the problem. If not, reinstall the client.

Link to repair tool:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7247-OPVB-9949

• Advertisement
Advertisement