Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Business Would You Open in Ennis?

• 01-02-2013 12:06pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Spawning from another thread, there seems to be a lot of interest in a lot of different types of shops/businesses to open in Ennis, so I thought why not have a thread dedicated to your ideas.

Like good teachers I think constructive feedback that can lead to discussion will be welcomed, so for example you want to open a record shop, someone saying "That's a stupid idea you idiot, HMV can't survive how are you going to survive" will result in a ban, saying something like "In this day and age large multi-nationals like HMV can't survive, how do you think a small shop in Ennis will?"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'd open an Undertaking business as there are only two at present in Ennis - Daly's and Kennedy's. There is easily enough business for another one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

J@ysus Mrs, I might have expected flowers or something, but undertaking?

There are 4 mortuaries in town and another Undertaker has been opened up in Kilmaley by the guy who's running the pub, but it's a business which people will be dying to give you their custom.

I'm very practical, there are more than enough good florists in Ennis, we don't need anymore.

There are only two Undertakers situated in Ennis town though. The problem with undertaking is that people tend to use the same Undertaker for generations. Like Kilmaley people always seemed to favour Kennedy's over Daly's. If I was starting up, I'd also offer people a nice room where Humanist Ceremonies could take place, I think that they will catch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

A cheap charger shop! Everyone is always looking for chargers whether its for mobiles, cameras, laptops, etc

Mobile wheelie bin cleaning unit! My bin badly needs to be cleaned and I'm sure others do too

My fav would be death scene cleaning, always a Market for it and I could go into business with mrs D as she would be in the know with her undertaking business

I think there is also a gap for a customer service office, can't take the day off work to get your car ntc'd etc, don't worry we will collect it and drop it back to ur office. Pick up ur dry cleaning no problem, water ur plants while ur away no problem

I could go on forever! And I still think a family restaurant is badly needed in the town centre, one where kids are welcomed and a menu to cater for them in a relaxed atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Clareman wrote: »
    Spawning from another thread, there seems to be a lot of interest in a lot of different types of shops/businesses to open in Ennis, so I thought why not have a thread dedicated to your ideas.

Like good teachers I think constructive feedback that can lead to discussion will be welcomed, so for example you want to open a record shop, someone saying "That's a stupid idea you idiot, HMV can't survive how are you going to survive" will result in a ban, saying something like "In this day and age large multi-nationals like HMV can't survive, how do you think a small shop in Ennis will?"

A pharmacy. There's another one Fennel's opened at the Heights,which I wish well. We have 14 pharmacies in Ennis & they all seem to be thriving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

A new nightclub. One that wont be blown out over a month like previous attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

If someone said they were going to open a record shop in Ennis or anywhere else for that matter "That's a stupid idea you idiot, HMV can't survive how are you going to survive" is exactly what most people would say to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm very practical, there are more than enough good florists in Ennis, we don't need anymore.

There are only two Undertakers situated in Ennis town though. The problem with undertaking is that people tend to use the same Undertaker for generations. Like Kilmaley people always seemed to favour Kennedy's over Daly's. If I was starting up, I'd also offer people a nice room where Humanist Ceremonies could take place, I think that they will catch on.
    there is no Undertakertaker in Kilmaley?:)

Clareman mentioned in his post that there is a new Undertaker in Kilmaley now, it's a recent thing. Most Kilmaley people I know would have used Kennedy's heretofore.

Clareman mentioned in his post that there is a new Undertaker in Kilmaley now, it's a recent thing. Most Kilmaley people I know would have used Kennedy's heretofore.
    most kilmaley people i would know would use Either,an Ennis,ennistymon,Miltown Malbay Etc etc

people were buried long before paddy kennedy burried them.

nonsense to suggest people had to come to the county town to get burried/laid out.

• Advertisement

nonsense to suggest people had to come to the county town to get burried/laid out.
    Ah, I'm not saying that for a second! However, from my experience those that did come to Ennis, usually chose Kennedy's over Daly's for some reason. Maybe Paddy or his auld lad had a Kilmaley connection.

Undertaking has always been about tradition and families tend to be loyal to one particular Undertaker from one generation to next. However, given the cost of funerals these days, I'd say that it will change.

It's not a business for everyone but I reckon you could make a decent living from it all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A lot of families will have "their" Undertakers, if your people always used Kennedy's by gawd you'll use Kennedy's, if they used Daly's you use Daly's, I don't think it's just a Clare thing, I think it's more a country thing.

Article on the new Kilmaley Undertakers can be found here

Ah, I'm not saying that for a second! However, from my experience those that did come to Ennis, usually chose Kennedy's over Daly's for some reason. Maybe Paddy or his auld lad had a Kilmaley connection.

Undertaking has always been about tradition and families tend to be loyal to one particular Undertaker from one generation to next. However, given the cost of funerals these days, I'd say that it will change.

It's not a business for everyone but I reckon you could make a decent living from it all the same.
    Mrsd,

how many posters in this forum know of a funeral director(in clare),that lives of funerals alone(:D no pun intended,read on.)
    anyone i know,and i know directors in clare,have another income. if your to survive in the funeral director business alone,you wont last long,you need another income,and the cost of dying and being burried is not cheap,never has been,never mind your comment "the cost of funerals these days"

BTW people chose to get their relatives buried by one Funeral director over another for numerous reasons,we are now getting into the ridiculous here.

we are now getting into the ridiculous here.

I agree, lets get the thread back on track so, have you any suggestions for Clareman on a business that might work in Ennis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Good luck to people who have enough money to consider opening up a business in Ennis. Myself and the majority of people I know are just barely hanging in there and those among us who have businesses are mostly pale and quiet and tired. And if I had the money and a serious idea for a good business I don't think I would be posting about it here!

There's a Soup Kitchen in the planning for Ennis and depressing as that thought is, it will be a boon for the growing numbers who are badly in need of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

We're pretty well served in terms of retail. That's why when I see a few empty shop units I'm sort of surprised there aren't more. I do all my music shopping online. Can see that happening increasingly in the next decade as people get more accustomed to the idea and the demographics change.

The Record Rack definitely had the right idea becoming The Irish Shop. I'd nearly say there was room for a second one of those if the tourist numbers improved a smidge.

I was watching a documentary about pinball the other day and the guy was explaining in the past people ate at home and went out for entertainment. Now they consume their entertainment at home and go out to eat. Restaurants seem to still be doing well. And fast food. I'd probably open up something in that area. Maybe fancy burgers or southern friend chicken. I find that idea of pricey fast food kind of boring myself but there's a big audience for it in Dublin.

Phone shop selling chargers and cheapo chinese android phones could be a goer. I think the problem with that area is it's hard to eke out an existence when you're not an official Meteor, 02, Vodaphone shop or whatever. The moneys in the contracts and you don't get margin on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

we are now getting into the ridiculous here.
    Yes you were
    Yes there is :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think it's a Funeral Home that's there. Not an Undertaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Ok. There IS an undertaker AND a funeral home in Kilmaley. It was opened by PJ Murphy towards the end if last year. It is located alongside Kilmaley Inn. So far, no removal has taken place from the funeral home. A funeral did take place recently where PJ did the removal but it was from Inch church.

As stated by another poster, most locals tend to use Kennedys. Not all, but most. Ennis would be first port of call for an undertaker, maybe Miltown if located on the far west side of Connolly or Ennistymon if on the Crows Bridge side but in general it's not the norm, Ennis is.

Now that's all settled, maybe Clareman might get his few business ideas. :p:D

muggles wrote: »
    maybe Clareman might get his few business ideas. :p:D

I've a CCNA, MCSE, NCSA, DCSE, ESF2 and even a IBM CSE, throw in Prince, Six Sigma and ITIL as well as 2 Golden Spider Awards, I don't need business ideas, don't worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

MCSE? So what your saying is all of your certs are out of date. MCITP is the new MS standard and it's been that way for years sure.

Also, Golden Spider awards are not worth <Mod Snip> ;)

Please only post in this thread if you want to discuss or answer the original question, which was -

'What Business Would You Open in Ennis'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

I know there was a driving range years ago but I'd like one in ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Hehe. It's true they gave out Golden Spider Awards to anything though. I'm pretty sure i got one in the 90's for a website i built with frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It remains to be seen if it's the end of HMV in Limerick and elsewhere, but if it is, you could argue this is actually the best time in several years to open a record store in Ennis. But it would need to be cleverly thought out, and would have to offer something different to succeed; your run-of-the-mill CD store of old just won't cut it anymore. "Old school" music customers - by which I mean those who still prefer to buy the physical product - have not disappeared completely. It's a niche market for sure, but a market that still exists. In fact vinyl sales have been increasing steadily in the last few years, which really bucks the notion that nobody wants to buy the physical albums anymore.

Personally I think some small independant music stores can still succeed if they focus on, and are really good at those things the download sites and Amazon don't really offer, or don't do very well, for example:
    • the experience of browsing through records in a friendly local store
    • a good standard of personable one-to-one customer service
    • catering to niche areas, like selling vinyl, maybe stocking unusual "non-chart" music genres, or selling decent music magazines and journalism
    • offering a convenient and good standard 2nd hand trade-in service

Zeek12 wrote: »
    It remains to be seen if it's the end of HMV in Limerick and elsewhere, but if it is, you could argue this is actually the best time in several years to open a record store in Ennis. But it would need to be cleverly thought out, and would have to offer something different to succeed; your run-of-the-mill CD store of old just won't cut it anymore. "Old school" music customers - by which I mean those who still prefer to buy the physical product - have not disappeared completely. It's a niche market for sure, but a market that still exists. In fact vinyl sales have been increasing steadily in the last few years, which really bucks the notion that nobody wants to buy the physical albums anymore.

Personally I think some small independant music stores can still succeed if they focus on, and are really good at those things the download sites and Amazon don't really offer, or don't do very well, for example:
    • the experience of browsing through records in a friendly local store
    • a good standard of personable one-to-one customer service
    • catering to niche areas, like selling vinyl, maybe stocking unusual "non-chart" music genres, or selling decent music magazines and journalism
    • offering a convenient and good standard 2nd hand trade-in service

They tried that already. Fear And Clothing, that was right above the old Record Rack opened for about a year, then closed due to lack of customers last summer.

They had a large selection of vinyl from alternative/obscure artists and a good selection of clothing you can't find anywhere (punk/goth/alternative/metal).

A majority of the business they did ended up being online, but alas, even that wasn't enough to cover the costs of running a business in Ennis (rates are a business killer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

CptSternn wrote: »
    They tried that already. Fear And Clothing, that was right above the old Record Rack opened for about a year, then closed due to lack of customers last summer.

They had a large selection of vinyl from alternative/obscure artists and a good selection of clothing you can't find anywhere (punk/goth/alternative/metal).

A majority of the business they did ended up being online, but alas, even that wasn't enough to cover the costs of running a business in Ennis (rates are a business killer).

Thats a shame. Never actually made it in there myself. Tbh I've avoided that store ever since Record rack changed and became more of a tourist-oriented outlet than a record store! I wonder if that location worked against Fear and Clothing?
    But there's one potential big difference now since they closed - if HMV does'nt survive in Limerick, there won't really be a substantial record store at all in the immediate Limerick/Clare region, so it could be a good opportunity. I guess its debatable whether Ennis could sustain a store of this kind. I could definitely see some opening in Limerick.

Completely agree with you on the rates issue. They are really prohibitive to business and job creation.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Balagan wrote: »
    Good luck to people who have enough money to consider opening up a business in Ennis. Myself and the majority of people I know are just barely hanging in there and those among us who have businesses are mostly pale and quiet and tired. And if I had the money and a serious idea for a good business I don't think I would be posting about it here!

I met a guy yesterday who has his own business in town and his lease is up in 4 months and he will be closing his business. He said after rent and rates, he has nothing let. If he at least made a wage for himself he would keep it open but but alas he cant, such a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 bain_triail_as

A tuition school in one of the empty shops.
    One I pass by in UK seems popular.
    http://www.explorelearning.org.uk/vebo/emersonsgreen

• Advertisement

maiden wrote: »
    I met a guy yesterday who has his own business in town and his lease is up in 4 months and he will be closing his business. He said after rent and rates, he has nothing let. If he at least made a wage for himself he would keep it open but but alas he cant, such a shame

It's actually worse than that. I had a mate who had the same thing happen. He closed up shop here in town, filed for bankruptcy, an then found out due to this he can't sign on for two years or something like that.

The moral of this story is - if you try and fail...you must then immigrate as the government will cut you off from all social services as further punishment.

Advertisement