Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Business Would You Open in Ennis?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

CptSternn wrote: »
    It's actually worse than that. I had a mate who had the same thing happen. He closed up shop here in town, filed for bankruptcy, an then found out due to this he can't sign on for two years or something like that.

The moral of this story is - if you try and fail...you must then immigrate as the government will cut you off from all social services as further punishment.

I don't think bankruptcy works like that, when you "sign on" first you sign on first you claim off the taxes you have been paying, self employed people get shockingly poor "dole" payments as they aren't PRSI payers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

What did you win the Golden Spiders for Clareman? I tried stalking your boards posts to figure it out but you've too many!

What I'd love in Ennis is a good Burrito bar like Boojum or Pablo Piccante's in Dublin. It's assembly line production so doesn't look that expensive to run and I'm sure students would love it. But seeing as Galway nor Limerick have a good spot, I can't see one coming to Ennis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It was a hotel site that had full booking capabilities, it was in the late 90s when I got it, in fact I believe http://gulliver.ie/ still uses some of the code I used :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

A good diner, like the Sherwood set up but in the town. Amazes me that the Sherwood is always packed, there must be room for another diner, like Mickey D's.

I think a restaurant quarter would be a good idea. If you could pick down Parnell St for example, and put a roof between the buildings, you could use it all year round. Crazy idea but a lot of Cities in Europe have this done now

I know there was a driving range years ago but I'd like one in ennis.

Great idea. Where was the old range?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Would an Argos keep afloat in Ennis? Off the top of my head that's what I'd try. Granted Limerick is only an hour away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

glineli wrote: »
    A good diner, like the Sherwood set up but in the town. Amazes me that the Sherwood is always packed, there must be room for another diner, like Mickey D's.

Is the Sherwood not in town now?!

Out in Roslevan across from Fahy Hall, it's all Celtic Tiger housing estates now. That street had a population of about 50 when I was young, must be 150 houses there now.
    13spanner wrote: »
    Would an Argos keep afloat in Ennis?

No.

It was out in Roslevan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

A place like McDonaghs in galway, really good fish & chips, reasonably priced, relaxed atmosphere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Clareman wrote: »

It was out in Roslevan
    I was never in the old one but anything like sport/activity that can be done, even when its raining, seems like a good idea & the price would have to be reasonable. you'd need serious start up money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Hello,
    I am no where near that town but would like to share about opening two different businesses and my experience doing so here in a town (pop 20,000) in the States.

My Mother and I opened a toy/doll store and it ran for 25 years. We sold beautiful dolls from Europe and the States, collectors dolls mostly with human hair, they were just beautiful. We also sold beautiful play dolls, they were not the cheap plastic dolls but one a child would keep for years and hand down to their children. We sold beautiful pull toys from Greece, wooden trains from Sweden and it was great fun. When the internet came out we couldn't compete with the overhead by having a shop and having to pay the 2-3 employees. Customers would come in, have their child hold the dolls, pick one out then write the name down and go and order the doll on-line.

My Father had a printing business years ago before the new printers came out, of course the printers have gotten so fancy that people were doing their own printing at home so he closed the business.

Technology put both businesses out. I was considering opening a health food store back in 2007, glad I didn't because now I purchase my vitamins and health foods on-line myself and save half as much than buying at the local health food store.

What WOULD work? Become a hairdresser/barber, someone mentioned a restaurant, become a mechanic. Anything that you cannot get by the internet would probably be prosperous. It doesn't seem like you need another funeral home, lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Hello,
    I am no where near that town but would like to share about opening two different businesses and my experience doing so here in a town (pop 20,000) in the States.

My Mother and I opened a toy/doll store and it ran for 25 years. We sold beautiful dolls from Europe and the States, collectors dolls mostly with human hair, they were just beautiful. We also sold beautiful play dolls, they were not the cheap plastic dolls but one a child would keep for years and hand down to their children. We sold beautiful pull toys from Greece, wooden trains from Sweden and it was great fun. When the internet came out we couldn't compete with the overhead by having a shop and having to pay the 2-3 employees. Customers would come in, have their child hold the dolls, pick one out then write the name down and go and order the doll on-line.

My Father had a printing business years ago before the new printers came out, of course the printers have gotten so fancy that people were doing their own printing at home so he closed the business.

Technology put both businesses out. I was considering opening a health food store back in 2007, glad I didn't because now I purchase my vitamins and health foods on-line myself and save half as much than buying at the local health food store.

What WOULD work? Become a hairdresser/barber, someone mentioned a restaurant, become a mechanic. Anything that you cannot get by the internet would probably be prosperous. It doesn't seem like you need another funeral home, lol ;)

You can hardly complain about customers of yours buying online so I suppose?

13spanner wrote: »
    Would an Argos keep afloat in Ennis? Off the top of my head that's what I'd try. Granted Limerick is only an hour away...

Argos had been part of the Tesco bid to relocate at Lynch's roundabout. Also Atlantic homecare and Harvey Nicholls. I have this from a fairly reliable source that worked for one of the above at the time.
    He suspects that Tesco are the only ones still interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Re: the record shop suggestion I see the future of that kind of thing being on a voluntary basis like Wingnut in Galway or Waterford. It's not a profit making exercise, a shop owner/arts center donate some space and someone else comes in and stocks it occasionally with Irish independent releases and the artists get 100pc of the profit. You could have a stand of CD's or vinyl in Glor for instance.

Even then I don't know if it's going to last. Selling vinyl at gigs is viable but postage costs generally make selling it at record shops a loss making enterprise.

You can hardly complain about customers of yours buying online so I suppose?

@buck65 ~

You are correct, I didn't have any idea at that time how cheap it was to order on-line , hence I'm glad that I didn't open a store and it was just an idea like stated.

Did you take the time to read the ideas as to what might would work?

Do you have any ideas as to what might work or was your post just to find criticism in my post when I was trying to help by sharing my experience replying to the OP?

Is the Sherwood not in town now?!

Its in town but i mean slap bang in the middle, like just off abbey or parnell st.

@buck65 ~

You are correct, I didn't have any idea at that time how cheap it was to order on-line , hence I'm glad that I didn't open a store and it was just an idea like stated.

Did you take the time to read the ideas as to what might would work?

Do you have any ideas as to what might work or was your post just to find criticism in my post when I was trying to help by sharing my experience replying to the OP?

Yes I took time to read the ideas that might work. There aren't alot, in fairness it is difficult to come up with them these days.

What I think that might work are ideas I implement as frequently as I can afford to in my own business. Some have worked and some have not. But I keep trying nonetheless.

Just because the health store down the road was expensive compared to where you buy online doesn't mean you couldn't make such a business work. Maybe the margins are too high. Perhaps you could run a leaner business?

Should we all just give up and let the internet supply everything to everyone? Why not set up a website with a shop as well. Personally when I visit a health store I like to get advice, same as customers that visit my business do and why we are staying ahead of the internet and the big box stores - for the moment.

Not everything is price related, service knowledge and ease of purchase counts for alot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I agree with Buck65, sometimes it is well worth paying a little extra to speak to someone who is knowledgeable and can advise you on purchases, in the long run you can save yourself money by buying products that actually suit you.

I found a brilliant health food store a couple of years ago - I'm a big fan of 'The Health Connection' in the Turnpike, the owner really knows her stuff (I believe she is a qualified nutritionist), she takes time to listen to her customers and seems genuinely interested in helping them and providing products that meet their needs. (BTW, I've no connection with this store or its owner other than being a satisfied customer).

Just because the health store down the road was expensive compared to where you buy online doesn't mean you couldn't make such a business work. Maybe the margins are too high. Perhaps you could run a leaner business?

Should we all just give up and let the internet supply everything to everyone? Why not set up a website with a shop as well. Personally when I visit a health store I like to get advice, same as customers that visit my business do and why we are staying ahead of the internet and the big box stores - for the moment.

Not everything is price related, service knowledge and ease of purchase counts for alot too.

Thank you for the encouragement, at this stage with the new health care laws in the States and the new taxes it's a wait and see for most wanting to start a business but I still have the desire to open a health food store since it is a passion of mine. One of the items I purchase is DMSO, it's $13 USD on-line and $26 at the health food store locally, so a full 50% mark up. When I worked at the same health food store a few years ago people would come in and ask for advise like you said, but then they would take the advice and order on-line.

I'm just as guilty, look at Amazon, after looking into a device for my guns at the local sports store I came home and ordered the product on-line at Amazon and saved quite a bit. Everyone wants to save money ~ like everywhere else jobs in the States are hard to come by and most (like myself) can only find part time work.

Again, I agree with you about the service but when it comes down to food on the table or electricity then every bit of money counts. You are also correct in that my selections were few - I know a lot of the gentlemen at work are getting their wives to cut their hair so they don't have to pay a barber.

I think I pay repair people the most for their services like to fix my computer or car.

I wish you the best and thank you again.

There used to be a great diner where the Zip Yard is now, only lasted a few months, but it was top notch. I'd like a Steak House that has more than 2 types of steak on the menu.

In regards to buying on line over in shops, I usually have a 10% rule, I will gladly pay the 10% extra to get someone local than have it shipped to me, having a new 1 in the family made me realise how much a markup a lot of places have, I got this on Amazon for ~€80 before Christmas, it would have cost me close to €200 with Mama's and Papa's or in Mothercare.

• Advertisement

We had played around with the idea of a consignment shop. They are doing good in this area since so many people are having to move and selling their things. You can get good prices for fairly new things.

Local farmers are doing good setting up in the Spring/Summer at the farmers markets. I've thought about doing that and selling my Kombucha tea but not sure what federal/state laws I'd get into selling the tea since it's 5% alcohol.

I'd buy it.

Pm sent by the way.

Clareman wrote: »
    There used to be a great diner where the Zip Yard is now, only lasted a few months

Mickey D's, it was very good alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

would pc repair shop be good or is there enough already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Shooting range. Encourage gun ownership and effective use of, now that we have to police ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd say with fixing PC's you'd need a contract maintaining PC's for offices/businesses around town to make a real go of it. There are definitely quite a few people doing that. Wether there's room for more I don't know.

You always see more repairs and 2nd hand sales in items that are really expensive. PC's and TV's used to be like that years ago but now they're not. I'd say phone repair would be more in demand, particularly as some people seem to break them 10 times faster than computers.

Shooting range. Encourage gun ownership and effective use of, now that we have to police ourselves.

There is a clay pigeon stand out in Doora, I don't think you're allowed anything else in Ireland. I think you've to apply well in advance to use it as there's a lot of paperwork that has to be filled out before you can use it, permission of neighbours, licenses, selling cartridges, stuff like that. I've been out there a few times.

zweton wrote: »
    would pc repair shop be good or is there enough already.

I don't think there's room for another PC repair business, all the local notice boards seem to be full of people offering their services and Tierney's seem to have the office business cleaned up. It also doesn't help that the price of PC has dropped considerably so they are almost a consumable item now at this stage.

Advertisement