Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did you spent on physio in the last 12 month ?

Options
  • 01-02-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

If you can seperate it what you spent on massage and what on physio even better.

Also interested to how many different physios did you go and why. Did you think it was worth to change or not ?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    If you can seperate it what you spent on massage and what on physio even better.

Also interested to how many different physios did you go and why. Did you think it was worth to change or not ?

ta

Guesstimate, about €500 on three different physios for an injury, and it looks like a lowly 100 on sport massage with a fourth person :o

Worth worth changing as the first two didn't manage to properly diagnose the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Around €350 - all with a physical therapist.

Almost all of it spent recovering from a calf strain while preparing for Boston last year.

Have a touch of it again now training for Donadea - once the weekly mileage goes close to 60 I'm always nailed after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

€40 once ever in my life to a physio - was given some stretches for a strained achilles. Never paid for a sports massage besides getting one or two freebies after a race.

I have more than made up for this though with Dental expenses

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive been to my physio maybe 5 times in the last year, so 150. I dont go often, just to prevent niggles turning into problems (and when I borked my shoulder in December I went to see what the issue was).

I dont get massage. Id love to, but it seems an extravagance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Around €400 on physio, approx 150 on an mri and another 150 on laser treatment
    150 on rubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ta

Define massage and physio.

Dave Corcoran for example - lots of people go to him to get repaired but not a physio and repairs using massage (and other techniques)

What would the likes of him count as?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Last season about €300 spent well with a sports massage guy as a means of maintenance and prevention rather than cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Is that what you all paid or is that after you deducted health care benefits ?

tunney wrote: »

Dave Corcoran for example - lots of people go to him to get repaired but not a physio and repairs using massage (and other techniques)

Ah I forgot I'm on the "upsets peter list" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

2012: 0e
    2011: 90e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Spent nothing in 2011 or 2012. Lucky with injuries, although don't do the volume or intensity some here do.

Is that what you all paid or is that after you deducted health care benefits ?

Health care benefits? Think you're on the wrong planet.

With the level of excess on claims these days, its hardly worth while making a claim against insurance if you have any. As a family we spent as much on health care insurance as direct cost, Dr visits etc with the kids and not 1cent of the claim was repaid by the insurers.

We doubled our healthcare costs in 1 year and got nothing for it. I know its OT but you raised the point and it makes my blood boil :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Health care benefits? Think you're on the wrong planet.

With the level of excess on claims these days, its hardly worth while making a claim against insurance if you have any. As a family we spent as much on health care insurance as direct cost, Dr visits etc with the kids and not 1cent of the claim was repaid by the insurers.

We doubled our healthcare costs in 1 year and got nothing for it. I know its OT but you raised the point and it makes my blood boil :mad:

You can claim back 40e or so on physio visits with most health care plans? It does not affect your premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Last 4 years Zero Euro.
    Discussed this fact with a physio friend who reckoned popularity of triathlon was the best thing that ever happened the profession and they couldn't stop triathletes throwing money at them!!!
    Spend your money on prehab and save a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

tunney wrote: »

an expensive placebo?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

About €120 on injury rehab with a sports therapist for my shoulder.

Probably about €300 on maintainence massage/trying to fix what that eejit that hit me with his car did to my knee. Ongoing. :mad:

longshank wrote: »
    Last 4 years Zero Euro.
    Discussed this fact with a physio friend who reckoned popularity of triathlon was the best thing that ever happened the profession and they couldn't stop triathletes throwing money at them!!!
    Spend your money on prehab and save a fortune!

Or avoid physios. Always amazed at people who "fix" injuries without laying hands on you.

mloc123 wrote: »
    You can claim back 40e or so on physio visits with most health care plans? It does not affect your premium?

Didn't know that, but then I avoid physios by looking after myself in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

longshank wrote: »
    an expensive placebo?

for me the difference would be for 1 i pay for 1 hour fo rthe other one per visit ( but i have only been once at a physio )

one of the worlds best physios in the world is not a 'proper' physio and last week I happend to be in limerick and I counted some 50 world champs he has worked with ..

some of the worlds best tiathlon coaches are not triathlon coaches
    and they just got their coaching qualifications for outsanding results .

for me results matter not titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Spent about €500 in sports massage last year.
    No injuries - all preventative maintenance.

More in tune with my body this year and likely to be a bit less but still do regular preventative maintenence every 6 weeks ish.

Ciaran Fitzpatrick in Ballinteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Cayo

I spent a grand total of €40 on physio in 2012.

He beat the living sh1t out of me but sorted the problem in one session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Went to a physio once a month for a sports massage 4 times at 25 euro a time while training for IM last year, kept the knots out of the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

I was recently in a car accident my doctor says I need to see a physio can anyone recommed someone good near newbridge or Naas???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Spend €40 now on maintenance stuff.

2011/12 I split my biceps femoris tendon and spent about €2.5k.

Advertisement