Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Cost of getting a Porch

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,,
    Looking at getting a Porch Put in over the Summer,.

This will be a standard Porch under Building Regs ( no planning Permission needed) of 2 Sq.m

House: Bungalow
    Roof: Standard Tiles
    Brick external: Red Brick
    Block Work: Standard Concrete Block
    Insulation: Standard "Kingspan" style
    Plastering: Standard Dry Wall
    Painting: Not needed Will be done by Me
    Front Door: We currently have a New secure Storm Porch Size front UPVC (newly installed a couple of Years ago) Door with Side Panel ( this is a full Sized Front Door Frame) The plan is to reuse this As the new Front of the Porch instead of where it is currently as the Front Door into our House/sitting room
    Windows: two small upvc Windows At the Sides,.

Also will need a wooden Frame for a normal door into the Front Living Room as per a normal House and with a Normal Hall Door (Standard internal house Door) with some insulation and dry plasterboard...

Any ideas on Ball park,. need to get an idea to get the Rest of the Cash together

I can imagine it difficult without seeing the property.. but in basic terms your moving the current front Entrance forward and putting a brick porch around with and replacing it with a normal hall Entrance door, ( and We Can finally be warm at the Front of the house)

Appreciate it Folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bcw

quote by two contractors, both around 2.5k
    To construct a porch at the front of the house, approximate size of 2m x 1m, Roof constructed as Apex, Blockwork with cavity blocks, 50mm insulated board inside, plastering inside + out
    windows and door fit only.
    im in kildare area

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Cool,. thats a more realistic Price to be honest,.,. and thats what I had in my Mind,,,

Perfect.. k, thatsv whats Im going to aim at, and get the cash together,, Hopefully get started in the next few Months

thanks

R

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

bcw wrote: »
    quote by two contractors, both around 2.5k
    To construct a porch at the front of the house, approximate size of 2m x 1m, Roof constructed as Apex, Blockwork with cavity blocks, 50mm insulated board inside, plastering inside + out
    windows and door fit only.
    im in kildare area

Including materials + vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

I'm thinking of getting a 2m x 1m porch, getting quotes between €7000-€10,000. Is this right? d'ont want to get ripped off either

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a 2m x 1m porch, getting quotes between €7000-€10,000. Is this right? d'ont want to get ripped off either
    You need to get other quotes ;)

• Advertisement

Yeh totally agree,, get more quotes,,,

7-10 K is Way to Much if you ask me,,

Am getting around 2.5k, as a quote, Kinda my ballpark,, but should be meeting someone in a the next few weeks
    who can give me a better idea,

Best of Luck

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keitho82

Hi dark_jedi_ire,

did you get that quote and porch done yet? I am getting quotes of 5 and 6,000 so looking to get a number if you got a job done. and if yo have a pic to show.

Cheers

K

We got 3 quotes All over 7K , so we scraped the idea,, Moved the big Radiator in the sitting room and added a vertical Rad,, then put shelving all along one Wall (ikea, which Im still bloody building) and mixed around the room, so , We are happy with what we had done instead, and with the new Radiator we will be roasted alive,,

over 7k was an insane price,, no way worth it,,

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

I know the 2 metres squared is the total allowance without having to go through the planning system, but I am in the same boat and wonder if it is worth spending so much for so little gain? By the by, it would need to follow the pitch on the roof so I can see where the roofing would take a good day, but the brick/block work would not take a full day, wonder where the big money is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭me4many

I am thinking of getting a porch built as well. What might I pay for the block work and sloped roof on the following size 8' x 6' x 7'6" high. Windows/door and plastering will be done later. Plan/permission in place.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

I personally have built many porches in the distant past-nearly all with the 9inch cavity block, nothing wrong with it. Usually the builder would have ties cut to the main building, and all supplies there, including someone to mix and fetch. Usually only take a few hours. The roof on the other hand would maybe take two men, two days, not sure how much that would equate to in todays market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jimkayak

It's all well and good to say it's a lot of money for a few blocks and a small roof.
    When in reality even though it's small, it's still: a Foundation, sub-block work, insulated sub-floor, rising block work with damp coarse & insulation, windows, Door, lintels, sill's, roof with wall-plate, rafters, felt, battens,lead flashing and tiles, Facia & soffit, gutter & down pipe, plastering inside and out, window board & skirting, Electric's first & 2nd fix and making good all internal surfaces.
    And not to forget odd thing's like a front step or new floor finishes to match existing etc.

2.5K ? That would get you a cowboy riding the live register, I'd rather pay 7-8K for a recommend builder that I could trust to build something properly on the front of my 400K house.

Advertisement