Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mech Mod

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Anyone here using Mech mods? I've been eying up the caravela's, chi you's GG's and the Paps but I can't get my hands on / wait for, any of those.

I want to buy a telescopic mod today and have two in mind.

The GUS Telescopic Mod V2+

gus1.jpg

Which works out at about €90 delivered.

or

The 69 Telescopic Mod

69tm.jpg

Which is €150 delivered.

I like the look of them both, but the question is, is the 69 worth the premium over the GUS. Anyone here have either of them and could vouch for one over the other? :confused:

I know they're OOS but I can get them both new. Help :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The 69 has a raised button with a kinda lip on it. pbusardo made a good point about another mod with the same type of 'buh-ene', in that you can't run your thumb over and onto it, you have to lift and deliberately place your thumb on the button. Small thing, but affects ease of use and may cause annoyance.

Then again, the Gus has the button on the bottom, so that's a vaping habit change there anyway.

I do like the adjustable post with lock nut on the Gus... handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Myself and a few guys were playing around with the 69 and it was constantly not firing correctly, top post I think.

There's also a Chinese clone of the 69 with an Alu body and was in the same shop and it worked like a charm - I really like the button position but they look kinda naff with a 18650 installed.

I dont think I could in good conscience justify a mech mod for 150 euro, my $35 stainless telescope will do me fine and felt every bit as good, looks better with a big battery, and has less weirdo parts to lose/break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

was.deevey wrote: »
    There's also a Chinese clone of the 69 with an Alu body...

Where? I hate the tapered edges all these clones have, would be great if somebody got the point and stopped trying to make everything look like a fûcking ProVari.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Very solid SS telescope mod...only downside is the spring, way too stiff...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

I had looked at the cheaper options like the sigelei/smoktek telescopes as well as others. They all work in the same way but I'd rather pay the extra for a real quality mech mod.

I've decided on the GUS anyway. Payment just sent and confirmed receipt.

Bought it from kalafan, who was quick to reply and very helpful, great service!

And now to play the waiting game... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

grats, let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers, will do. Hopefully I'll have it next week! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I was lucky enough to get on the list for a Caravela, was originally number 850 and it wasnt supposed to be ready until November/December, but thanks to a friend I managed to get one of the * serial numbers, so I should have it on march!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

what's the attraction?
    I know they look great but hows the vape?
    Maybe looking great is enough, looking forward to hearing how u get on with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It's highly praised as one of the hardest hitting mechanical mods you can get, the guy that makes em is seriously in his metals. Brass contact points and precision engineering, and rarity, there's only ever going to be 999 of then ever made!

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to get on the list for a Caravela, was originally number 850 and it wasnt supposed to be ready until November/December, but thanks to a friend I managed to get one of the * serial numbers, so I should have it on march!

You jammy dodger! :mad: Fair play, Give us some pics when you get it, I'm well jealous!
    what's the attraction?
    I know they look great but hows the vape?

How do they vape? Well in simple terms they should all vape very similar, it's a battery tube, and a 510 connection after all. Only real differences are the materials used for contact points and the like.
    The vape will come down to the setup of your wick/mesh/coil and the charge of your battery.

As for the attraction? For me it's the design and the build quality of some of these mods. The maker of the one I bought, Gus, makes surgical tools when he's not producing mods, so you know he knows his stuff.

Also it's the exclusivity of certain mods. Some, like the caravela, even though they carry hefty pricetags, are snapped up instantly and are usually only to be gotten by joining lists (that the makers themselves open on vaping forums). It's like anything... you want what you can't have. :D

Others like the Ihybrids, are only put up for sale at certain times and sold out within 48hrs, with the limited edition models gone in minutes!

I'm waiting for this one

Celtic_ihy.jpg

Think I'd miss the control; maybe they'll build one around the evic :)

I was tempted by the TUBES FROM KIR FANIS cause I really wanted a telescopic mod.

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

Between those and the newest update for the evic, you could have a very nice device altogether.

Not too steep either

"Price list

1.SS polished Telescope set (includes-telescope tubes for all batteries/top cap/bottom cap): 44 eur
    2.SS polished Telescope tubes only (you can use yours top and bottom caps):25 eur
    3.SS polished 18350 tube :16 eur
    4.SS polished 18500 tube :19 eur
    5.SS polished 18650 tube:20 eur
    6.SS polished top cap:12 eur
    7.SS polished bottom cap:7 eur"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Kir Fanis' are much nicer. IMO.

Not sure why Siam mods do what they do, but they over-design the crap out of most of their gear. I get the same feeling looking at their stuff as I do looking at a pleather couch standing on chromed legs. Give me the bokes.

Edit: Great minds.

your a bad influnce :(

Put my name in for the Kir Fanis ss telescope set:)

I thought somehow I might actually save money quiting the fags......that's not what's happening though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Yeah, but at least you will have something to show for it, unlike an ashtray full of fagbuts and dare I say it the big C.

Try telling the misses that though! :D

All she sees is packages coming in the door every other day! Excuses like "oh that was only a few euro love.." and "oh that was only about the price of a box of fags love.." are running out, and don't work when I get large orders :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Haha, my one thinks im having an affair cause I keep messin with my phone, ****, she is lookin at me now, gotta go..

• Advertisement

moved passed in my house, now just get the shaking head :rolleyes:

FFS!
    I left for work this morning at 10am, came home just there, to find the postman had come at 10:20am and I wasn't there to receive my new toy :mad:

Didn't expect it to be here so soon, coming from Greece and I'd only paid at 2pm Friday! :eek:

Ah well, at least I'll have it tomorrow! :D

Scratch that, in my sheer excitement mixed with the hope of getting my new toy, I remembered I was waiting on another international package, DOG FOOD from zooplus :(

So looks like I won't have my new toy tomorrow, or maybe I will, I dunno. I have a tracking number from a greek website that gets translated by google into

"Monday, 04 February 2013, 8:36:00 AM
    Scan Location: TRANSACTION pigeons (CCT)
    Description: Accept
    Delivery Status:
    Monday, 04 February 2013, 4:59:31 PM
    Scan Location: ATHENS X.
    Description: Objects in Package
    Delivery Status:
    Monday, 04 February 2013, 5:20:47 PM
    Scan Location: ATHENS X.
    Description: Mission Pack
    Delivery Status:"

I'm guessing it's still in Athens and I hope it ain't being brought here by fecking pigeons! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

superneat wrote: »
    You jammy dodger! :mad: Fair play, Give us some pics when you get it, I'm well jealous!

How do they vape? Well in simple terms they should all vape very similar, it's a battery tube, and a 510 connection after all. Only real differences are the materials used for contact points and the like.
    The vape will come down to the setup of your wick/mesh/coil and the charge of your battery.

As for the attraction? For me it's the design and the build quality of some of these mods. The maker of the one I bought, Gus, makes surgical tools when he's not producing mods, so you know he knows his stuff.

Also it's the exclusivity of certain mods. Some, like the caravela, even though they carry hefty pricetags, are snapped up instantly and are usually only to be gotten by joining lists (that the makers themselves open on vaping forums). It's like anything... you want what you can't have. :D

Others like the Ihybrids, are only put up for sale at certain times and sold out within 48hrs, with the limited edition models gone in minutes!

I'm waiting for this one

Celtic_ihy.jpg

Those ihybrids are gorgeous! Had a look around their site. The only thing is there is no prices that I could find. Any ideas of price range?

Those ihybrids are gorgeous! Had a look around their site. The only thing is there is no prices that I could find. Any ideas of price range?

HERE you go. They're not cheap, but they are unique! :o

Got a roller delivered today, sweet telescopic tube mod...

Kicked with an 18350 and 18500....shadows make it look a bit weird, very solid piece of kit...

239577.jpg239578.jpg

Looks nice Gryzor! Had looked at it myself as well, seems to get great reviews, everywhere I've seen.
    How do you find the kick?

How do you find the kick?

I like it, works well with rebuildables. Don't need to check resistance, just change between atties, and off you go. Tbh, you'd live without it, but it gives the control back with mech mods....

Yay! Vapemail today :D

Got the GUS this morning, took longer to get here than expected but well worth the wait.

Few piccies

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

It's tiny, in 18650 mode it's pure stealthy!

Comparison to Piccolo

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

Even with the Aga T+ on it it's so small!

IMG_0379.JPG

Sililar in size to the Vamo in 18350 mode lol

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Try telling the misses that though! :D

All she sees is packages coming in the door every other day! Excuses like "oh that was only a few euro love.." and "oh that was only about the price of a box of fags love.." are running out, and don't work when I get large orders :o
    You get that too huh :D
    I try and order my stuff to arrive when I know my Mrs will be at work (she works 3 days a week and days vary week to week), I never used to give a sh*t what days she worked before I started vaping :) The only times I might get caught out is ordering from abroad, can never tell how long it will take.
    Though my Postie dropped me in the S**t once telling her I was keeping him in a job :mad:

• Advertisement

Lucky for me, I work evenings mostly and she works days, so she never gets to see most packages, like yesterday and today for example.
    Good luck telling her over €300 worth of stuff cost "very little" LOL
    :P

Advertisement