Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving away horses.

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I've two old ponies and a 7 year Tb gelding. I have to get rid of them due to financial problems. :(
    I have no chance of selling them and I'm afraid of them going to the factory as they are adored pets.
    Is there any way of giving them to a good home??? Help urgently needed!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. I am afraid you don't have too many options if they can't be ridden. If it were me, I would be very worried about where they could end up.

Could you rent land cheaply and keep them that way? Otherwise I would strongly consider putting them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Is there a riding stables in your area. It may be worth contacting them, as fellow horse lovers they may be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I've two old ponies and a 7 year Tb gelding. I have to get rid of them due to financial problems. :(
    I have no chance of selling them and I'm afraid of them going to the factory as they are adored pets.
    Is there any way of giving them to a good home??? Help urgently needed!!!

It might help if you tell people where the ponies are located. Also, when you saw "old" how old are they? Have you tried advertising on places like Donedeal or Adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I know a place that does cheap grass livery that might be of use to you. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

More info is needed.

Have you tried the IHWT & Hollys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies!

I'm situated in south Tipp. The ponies are 23 and 18.
    I'm keeping them on my own land at the moment but because there is no grass they are eating a round bale of hay and 3 bags of coarse mix a week. Buying straw for their shelter is expensive too.

Things are very tight financially at the moment because myself and my parents are all out of work. If nothing changes I'll have to re-locate to go back to college and my parents will emigrate so there will be nobody to mind the horses.

Hopefully things will be looking up before then. I was just looking for options if the worst comes to worst. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Could you ask around locally and see if anyone is looking for companion animals for their horses?

Very sad situation to be in OP, I hope things work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭treccie

I don't mean to sound harsh, but sometimes putting an old horse to sleep is much kinder than risking them falling into the wrong hands. If I had an older horse that I didn't want to end up being neglected by someone else or going to the factory I would have the vet come out and have it PTS in its field in a nice calm way.

Hopefully some of the charities will be able to help you out, but if they aren't consider what is best for the horse not what is least painful for your heart.

Sorry you are in this position, it must be awful {hugs}

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CulaBula94

<snip>

Mod edit: We don't allow the advertisement or offer of horses for sale/wanted/loan/rehoming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Am with Treccie, I had a horse that wasn't going to come right. I was offered money for it, but knew I couldn't control where it might end up. Kinder to have it put to sleep, to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement