Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job bridge & an offer

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hello :) I've just finished up on a jobbridge scheme & was offered a job! Which is marvelous. I'm going to be paid for the (very lots of) work I've been doing and am now officially an emarketing executive.

However...

The company are going to be paying me only 17,000 a year. I feel a bit...screwed over, like they're only offering me that because they know I'll take whatever I can get at the moment in this economic climate. I feel kind of like a bit of a failure, tbh.

What do you guys think? I've accepted it, of course, but with mixed feelings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old are you, and do you have a year's work expereince since turning 18? (ie does minimum wage apply?)

Other than that ... it's all about demand and supply. Accept graciously, and keep job hunting. Even 17k is lots better than the dole (and on the bright side, you'll only pay tax on about 2k of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

I'm 28 in a few months, with a good lot of work experience behind me yep.

I was very gracious :) I'm mostly glad about having something to DO during the day! I had been wondering about the tax, so it's good to know it won't be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Asry wrote: »
    I'm 28 in a few months, with a good lot of work experience behind me yep.

I was very gracious :) I'm mostly glad about having something to DO during the day! I had been wondering about the tax, so it's good to know it won't be too much.

You'll pay sfa tax, but the bloody USC will more than make up for that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

17000 is about minimum wage. Take the job but immediately look for a better one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

17000/12 = 1417/4 = 354 per week or 9.40 per hour for a 37.5 hour week!

You're right to have mixed feelings!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

CatFromHue wrote: »
    17000/12 = 1417/4 = 354 per week or 9.40 per hour for a 37.5 hour week!

You're right to have mixed feelings!

Even less am afraid. 17000 / 52 = €326.92 per week

But it's still plenty more than the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Op, €17k isn't a good wage by any means.

But despite your "very lots of work experience" let's face it, it's better than the jobbridge €12,376. Not only that, but your employer wasn't paying a cent of that & now they're paying the whole lot. So don't be too ungrateful. It's a mental thing for your employer. They can't justify paying €25k or so for someone who was just a few days ago working for free as far as they are concerned.

Tax-wise, you may be entitled to tax savings worth a few hundred at least over the next few years (too bad you're not earning more as the tax saving would be considerably more). See this leaflet: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it58.html ..
    You'll also be able to keep your medical card if you have one.

Career-wise, always keep learning & keep looking. Be patient and focused and when something better comes up you can go for it.

Advertisement