Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James' St/Basin Street area

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Any thoughts on what it's like living around the James' St / Basin St area? ie: Will my car parked on street be okay? Anyone have hassle walking around the area?

Thanks.

-Funk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

funk-you wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Any thoughts on what it's like living around the James' St / Basin St area? ie: Will my car parked on street be okay? Anyone have hassle walking around the area?

Thanks.

-Funk

I live in the area, and whilst I love it, it would not be unusual for a car window or two to be smashed in from time to time - usually by the local kids.

I don't know if I'd be entirely comfortable if I had a car parked outside, but otherwise it's fine. The kids are the main problem, and they just roam around causing mischief and breaking things, but they won't hassle you in person.

It's within walking distance of town, handy for the Luas and well stocked with shops and pubs - plus if you love the smell of the Guinness Brewery like I do, you'll be in for a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Lived there around 2004-2006 saw a couple of shootings, people breaking into a flat with hammers and bats

cars damamged

having said that- I experienced no trouble personally and the above seemed feud related

dodgy enough , that was 8-9 years ago I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Was living in the area myself from 2004-2007.

On the positive, loads of shops and pubs, easy access to public transport, not too far away from the city centre and Heuston Station.

And you have the Liberties Market (Meath Street) and the CoOp Market (Newmarket Square) in walking distance as well.

On the negative side, a bit rough alright, had two cars set alight during that time (not mine), but not rougher than other so called rough areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Im not sure, I found it to be as rough as anywhere in dublin to be honest, at the time fatima was still there at the top of the road so you had all sorts going up and down at night, plenty of fights, shots etc

As I say this was a few years back but there are some people in the area that are in the papers alot of negative reasons, I wouldnt like to be caught up in that by accident if walking by etc etc

Its not a terrible area and im not judging everyone in the area, my opinion is that it can be rough by a few in the area and wouldnt take the risk living there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭jenjoeful

Hi, any updates on this area in recent months, I am looking at an apartment around there....
    I'm a little unsure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I lived there and although I liked it, it's probably far 'rougher' than anywhere else in the city I lived in. I used to wander out to the off licence and to the chipper quite late though, and it was never a problem.

Would that also apply to apartment complex's with underground/gated carparks? And apartments on 1st - 2nd - third floors (not a ground floor apartment).
    I know you say rough, but do you mean don't walk alone at night.... or even during the day?
    I am looking for the City side of St James Hospital, i think across from the basin apartments, would the "roughness" still apply to this area?
    So sorry for all the questions but I am looking at an apartment here today and I want to make a very informed decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Its not unsafe, just has a few harmless unsavoury looking types hanging around.

How is traffic in the morns? I will be heading for terenure?? If i was driving am i looking for trouble with bad traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

jenjoeful wrote: »
    How is traffic in the morns? I will be heading for terenure?? If i was driving am i looking for trouble with bad traffic?

I'm going down James' Street every morning around 10ish on the way into work, it seems to be alright. But I think, there will be some major roadworks, starting very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

drumswan wrote: »
    Its not unsafe, just has a few harmless unsavoury looking types hanging around.

Yea, more uncomfortable than unsafe. Plus I found it quite a depressing place to live at times, not my favourite part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

One of the James' carparks is located just opposite the Basin Street flats... the local kids are constantly attacking it and damaging cars. Multiple muggings, threats, general scumbaggery. I'd avoid the area like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

I'd avoid it too. Had a buddy live there, move down closer to Thomas Street (loved it there) and is now living there again and I know he regrets it and is dying for the year to be over so he can be out (college student).

Just the usual kids hanging around being a pain, threats and fights, etc. A lot of people have a thick skin and it doesn't bother them in the least and they can walk through a group of hooded scumbags without flinching, dunno if you're one of those people OP. A lot of people in threads like these recommend you go to the area at night, walk around, see what it's like - you could try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Grew up and lived in the Basin Street flats and only moved out about two years ago, have a lot of family living on James' St and must say, it's a grand area. Plenty of shops, pubs, transport around.

I would, however, strong advise against living in or too close to the Basin Street flats as they seem to have gone downhill in the past year or two.

I visit regularly and I honestly feel the only reason I haven't been attacked at night in the flats is because I know a lot of them, even still, I do feel a bit dodgy sometimes.

If you are moving in, I've a few bits of advice:

A lot of the people are friendly, far more so than other places I've been but the younger crowd are nearly the exact opposite.

There is a pub around the corner from Basin Street in a place called Westcourt, it's called Arthurs. I'd advise you not to go in as it is almost an invitation only pub and locals will make it quite uncomfortable for you if you do happen to go in.

Steer well clear of the flats day or night and make sure you do not leave your car outside in the car parks, if you have no choice, make sure you have good insurance and no valuables in it.

If you happen to venture to close-by places such as Oliver Bond or Bridgefoot Street, beware the endless amount of junkies you encounter. They are usually harmless but quite an eyesore. As well as that, Oliver Bond tends to be a bit of an uncomfortable place for people who aren't locals.

It does seem like a horrible place by the way I've described it but it really is one of those places where, if you've grown up or have family there and the locals know you, it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

if the house is near basin st flats don't take it, its dog rough, they even pelt fire service with stuff if they're in putting out fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

JordanG990 wrote: »

There is a pub around the corner from Basin Street in a place called Westcourt, it's called Arthurs. I'd advise you not to go in as it is almost an invitation only pub and locals will make it quite uncomfortable for you if you do happen to go in.

I presume that is the Old Harbour pub you are talking about? Have never been but it is the only pub near to the Basin Street flats. Arthurs is on Thomas Street at the junction with Thomas Court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

sticksman wrote: »
    I presume that is the Old Harbour pub you are talking about? Have never been but it is the only pub near to the Basin Street flats. Arthurs is on Thomas Street at the junction with Thomas Court.

Arthurs on Thomas st is a tourist pub afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

chopper6 wrote: »
    Arthurs on Thomas st is a tourist pub afaik.

Tourists on Thomas Street!!..

I'd a mate come to visit me a few years back, he was/is a US Marine and had just spent 15 months in Baghdad.. Staying in the Harding Hotel on Fishamble St and he asked where he could go for a jog ~ I advised him to head up the quays and into the Phoenix Park and to avoid Thomas St ~ he ignored my advice and was mugged 5 minutes later (on Thomas St).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Straight up...a lot of them wander up there from the guinness brewery or the jameson distillery and for some reason head to Arthurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I once saw a Japanese tourist who was lost, studying a map right about here -> http://goo.gl/maps/ddH3v

Now fortunately it was early Sunday morning so there was noone about, but if it had been late in the evening he wouldn't have lasted five minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Hundreds of tourists walk up Thomas Street every day to visit the brewery, Kilmainham Hospital etc. and are perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

sticksman wrote: »

Yep the Old Harbour Bar, but everyone I know just calls it Arthur's, that's definitely not a tourist spot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

JordanG990 wrote: »
    Yep the Old Harbour Bar, but everyone I know just calls it Arthur's, that's definitely not a tourist spot :P

I Drank there a few times on my own when living in the area to watch football back in the day. I found the guy pulling pints very decent and the people are alright to, I was only there during the days though

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I Drank there a few times on my own when living in the area to watch football back in the day. I found the guy pulling pints very decent and the people are alright to, I was only there during the days though

I live nearby, and it's a grand pub. As cliched as it sounds, it probably does the best Guinness in the country (being one of the 3-4 pubs that claim to be closest to the brewery) - you could throw a pint glass from the bar (as many do) and literally hit the wall of the brewery

Yes, it gets rowdy, and there can be issues when it empties late at night but they go to some lengths to drag the passing tourists in, so it's not the closed off, locals only joint that some think it is. Also, Brendan Behan collapsed here, and died later that night around the corner in James Hospital, so it has a certain historical charm too!

Advertisement