Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy chillies

Options
  • 01-02-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey!
    Anyone knows where i can buy proper spicy chillies in Dublin? I'm not talking about jalapenos, I'm more interested in ghost chilli. The spicest i've found was habanero. I checked a lot of indian/asian shops for ghost chillies but they dont have.
    Anyone got any idea's where i could get that? Im not interested in ordering the chillies because it takes too long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

fallon and byrne? on exchequer street.

But online is best bet. only takes a day or 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Roy Foxes in Donnybrook do "very very hot" birdseye chillies from Thailand. A bag is 1.50. Maybe not hot enough for you but they sure scalded the mouth off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Roy Foxes in Donnybrook do "very very hot" birdseye chillies from Thailand. A bag is 1.50. Maybe not hot enough for you but they sure scalded the mouth off me.

A ghost chilli would be 10-15 x stronger than a birdseye chilli. if not more.

Op do a search on boards, I found an old thread that said jc's in swords had them, as well as fallon and byrne, but it is a year old. If you get any luck let us know where you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kaher

I'm going to try fallon and byrne tomorrow.

Birdseye chillies are weaker than a habanero chilli, so its hot enough for me. Recently i got a small bottle of sauce made from trinidad scorpion moruga chilli ( 3.5mln units on scovaille scale ( the chilli alone is around 2mln units but it was mixed with habanero & scotch bonnet extract ), and it was so hot that it had numbed my mouth for 2-3 hours. Too hot, so im trying to get a hold of ghost chilli since they are a bit weaker than that, but still stronger than a habanero pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the moldovan shop beside lenehans hardware in rathmines (opp. the garda station) definitely has ghost chilli.
    im after habaneros so ill have to try fallon and byrne myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've bought habaneros and scotch bonnets in the Asian shop on Mary Street.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've bought habaneros and scotch bonnets in the Asian shop on Mary Street.

I think i checked that shop for ghost chilli already, the mary street sounds familiar.

Its actually hard to find good quality habanero peppers that are as spicy as they should be. I once got a box of habaneros in tesco, and they were weaker than a jalapeno. Instead of using fresh habaneros i bought a 300ml of pure habanero extract and i add 1 teaspoon to a bottle of ketchup or bbq sauce and its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My sister got a punnet of chilli's in Lidl the other day. It had habenero's and jalepeno's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Fallon and Byrne had Ghost chillis, and red and green Habeneros and Jalapenos a couple of weeks back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

You're all nuts!

• Advertisement

Hi Bart,

We do stock ghost chillies. They are fresh & in the vegetable section at the front of the shop.

If you would like us to hold some for you any day, please call us on 01 472 1010 & we will be more than happy to help,

Kind regards,

Jenny Lynch

Deputy Food Hall Manager
    Fallon & Byrne

I've sended them an email, since i live quite far away from town, wanted to check it before i go.

Time to get my mouth on fire!

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭robertb

Well, did you try them? :)

I bought some from Fallon and Byrne early in January. I'd been on youtube over the xmas and saw the amount of people doing the ghost pepper challenge - chew the pepper for 30 seconds and then nothing to eat or drink for 5 minutes. Decided I wanted to have a go. I've gotten into the whole scene really since. There are quite a few peppers hotter than the ghost pepper...some, like the jay's ghost scorpion or the Carolina reaper are up to 2 times hotter!!! The hottest pepper in the records books now is the Moruga scorpion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Robertb, Boards isn't the place to try to increase your Youtube views. First and only warning.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭robertb

The bully boy tactics and bold type aren't necessary. I'm quite capable of reading....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

robertb wrote: »
    The bully boy tactics and bold type aren't necessary. I'm quite capable of reading....

Unfortunately you're not capable of following site rules. This is the third time you've posted the same video, so take a month off for spamming.

there is a little ethnic food shop along the moore street side of the ilac that does a selection of chilli's as well. ill be home in dublin this friday so ill do a reccy of all the places mentioned and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I bought some Dave's insanity Ghost pepper saunce for Xmas. It's the spiciest sauce ever. I can barely take a small drop and I've had proper Habeneros in Texas without any problem

Worth getting a bottle if you can.

I got a packet of ghost chillies in fallon & byrne. I made a sauce out of 3 ghost chillies and a bottle of sriracha. Delicious and hot as hell. :D

Where did you get the Sriracha?

I got it in Asia Market on Drury street, but they don't have the rooster sriracha, but the 'flying goose' version. Tbh, i can't tell a difference between two of them, both are delicious.

• Advertisement

Cheers, that'll do me. :)

FYI, just got some of the Rooster brand (Huy Fong Foods) Sriracha in the Drury st market. It's every thing I expected and more :D

going home today so will do a bit of a reccy and report back

Advertisement