Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HSE contracts

• 01-02-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone explain this to me, someone needed to ge a small job done on their wheelchair, this services is a community services contracted out by the HSE...The person doing the job came from Mayo to Dublin to do the job( I think the company could be based in Mayo but I am not sure of this )... the job took max ten min...the petrol costs alone must have been a fair bit..so my guess is there bill to the HSC would be at least a couple of hundred euro..compleat madness for a ten min job.

How are HSE contracts like that given out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Part of the problem could be that the local staff member who would have been involved in doing that has left, and with noone else to fill his role the next stage is a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

mariaalice wrote: »
    Could someone explain this to me, someone needed to ge a small job done on their wheelchair, this services is a community services contracted out by the HSE...The person doing the job came from Mayo to Dublin to do the job( I think the company could be based in Mayo but I am not sure of this )... the job took max ten min...the petrol costs alone must have been a fair bit..so my guess is there bill to the HSC would be at least a couple of hundred euro..compleat madness for a ten min job.

Why do you say the bill to the HSE would be at least a couple of hundred euro?

Say you buy a Whirlpool washing machine. Say it comes with a 3-year parts and labour maintenance contract. If your machine breaks down five times in the three years, it is Whirlpool who are unlucky and have to cover the cost. If the machine doesn't break down in the 3 years, Whirlpool are lucky and don't have to cover the cost.

In your case, it would seem to me that the HSE tenders for a buy and maintain contract, the principle would be the same. If the company (and if it is Mayo it may well be this company http://www.homecaremedicalsupplies.ie/aspx/Homepage.aspx )has a wheelchair that breaks down, they have to repair it at their cost (not the HSE's cost). Given the number of wheelchairs in the country, he was probably down doing a number of these repair jobs in Dublin at the same time. Either way I don't see how this is a major cost to the HSE. In fact by centrally tendering for it and including a maintenance element they probably save money.

Now that may not be the case but it is certainly the way that tendering is going as anyone who has looked at e-tenders will have noticed.

So unless you can provide some information about the contract the HSE entered into that we can examine, this thread is probably just another excuse to bash some or other part of the public service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did they actually come from Mayo or just have an MO registered vehicle? Large contracting companies will generally have staff based in multiple locations but register all vehicles at one base.

Then there's the likelyhood that it was a warranty repair anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The wheelchair was not under warranty and he did come up from Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

There may well be a maintenance contract in place with the company in Mayo covering the whole country with a fixed charge for each call-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How do you know what maintenance and warranty contracts the HSE have?

You don't, of course. Just like you don't know that this wasn't the lowest price service (if not already covered) they could get, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

MYOB wrote: »
    How do you know what maintenance and warranty contracts the HSE have?

You don't, of course. Just like you don't know that this wasn't the lowest price service (if not already covered) they could get, either.

Off course I don't have the information that why I asked the question, but the cost of the call out charge or what ever it was should be a matter of public record as the HSE is a public services funded by our taxes.

In the NHS hospital trust where my daughter works all correspondence received by the CEO plus his or her replies is available on line for anyone to read and thats the sort of openess we need here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Simple explanation. HSE have global contacts with those kind of suppliers, i.e. beds, chairs, hoists. The supplier quotes for repairs on a national basis. Some are local, some are distant, but in the end, the whole thing averages out. Nothing to get too hot about, tbh.

Advertisement