Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside the Ropes... Poll

Options
  • 01-02-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

I am contacting courses for the Inside the Ropes gig, for 2013. So far, Ballybunion and Adare have both said yes. No dates yet, but Ballybunion will be in April.

I'm hoping to get Carton House too, so a quick poll:

Which course would you prefer to play: Montgomerie or O'Meara?

Which Carton House course would you prefer to play? 36 votes

Montgomerie (links-like and home to Irish Open)
    0% 0 votes
    O'Meara (parkland over gentle hillsides and beside river)
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

And Bunclody are on board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Can we ask what the inside the ropes gig is please Kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I prefer the Monty.

Mainly because telling people that I prefer the more difficult course makes me seem like a real good golfer.

I also say things like; "it's a better course off the back sticks", for the same reason.

Can we ask what the inside the ropes gig is please Kevin?

FREE GOLF!
    http://www.theirishgolfblog.com/2012/10/inside-ropes-island_9.html
    Mainly because telling people that I prefer the more difficult course makes me seem like a real good golfer.

I also say things like; "it's a better course off the back sticks", for the same reason.

Yes, calls for a power fade off several tees

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yes, calls for a power fade off several tees

Might suit me - I have a similar tee shot, its called the "no power & can fade anywhere off the tee!!"

Cheers for the great offers again Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Played the O'Meara last summer and it's a decent track. Not a top tier parkland, but not far off either. The changes coming this year should improve it. 14-16 are great holes.

Playing the Monty for the first time next week, so will form an opinion after that

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ALBT

Monty would be my choice. Played both a couple of times and bar the 3 hole stretch (14- 16 as far as I remember) found O' Meara to be a little disappointing.Really enjoyed Monty but found it was a course that your score was totally determined by the number of bunkers you found yourself in as they can be ridiculously hard to get out of, I managed somehow to avoid them most of the time so scored well but played with people who found them all day and didn't like the course as a result. To be fair the whole Carton House set up is class including hotel, service, GUI academy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Would go for the O'Meara and only logic to that is I haven't played it in years and would to play it again. :D
    Any plans as to when the two new 2 new holes will be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Monty for me. Its a savage test of golf. the big problem though recently is that they have cut the rough right in which means you can power fade and duck hook it anywhere you want and you will have a line. It also means that you can miss the doglegs left and and be absolutely fine, therefore the challenge is not really there.

that was a little disappointing for me last year.

I remember when the rough wasnt cut back so much, that if you missed the fairways you were in trouble, taking out irons etc. to make sure you didnt miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Monty for me. Its a savage test of golf. the big problem though recently is that they have cut the rough right in which means you can power fade and duck hook it anywhere you want and you will have a line. It also means that you can miss the doglegs left and and be absolutely fine, therefore the challenge is not really there.

that was a little disappointing for me last year.

I remember when the rough wasnt cut back so much, that if you missed the fairways you were in trouble, taking out irons etc. to make sure you didnt miss...

Monty for me. Its a savage test of golf. the big problem nice thing though recently is that they have cut the rough right in which means you can power fade and duck hook it anywhere you want and you will have a line. It also means that you can miss the doglegs left and and be absolutely fine, therefore the challenge is not really there.

that was a little disappointing fantastic for me last year.

• Advertisement

I prefer the Monty.

I laughed.... quality SS

The bunkers are monsters, you really have to be on form to get your sand saves in!!!

(Remembers back to picking up the ball in tears after attempt number 6 to get out of one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Monty as well for me, although my main reason would be that the O'Meara is undergoing work (afaik) and may not be tip top by the time Kevin's offer comes to fruition. I would class the O'Meara as perhaps more enjoyable to play, but the Monty in my mind is the better course and the most satisfying to play well around. Open to correction re: the eta of when work on the O'Meara is expected to have finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

O'Meara for me but only cause I've never played it before

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Never played the O Meara. Only the Monty. About 4 years ago. Loved it. Would love to play it again. Keeping the ball in play was the main priority. Find a spot that had no bunkers and aim at it :-)

So my vote is for the Monty.

I believe the O Meara is beautiful though. And I agree about the whole Carton set up. Fabulous. Makes you want to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Havent played either but would prefer to play the O'Meara based on what I have heard about both courses

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Has to be the Monty.

The O'Meara is a standard issue 7/10 parkland track that might get a bonus point for its Amen Corner. But it's not a must play.

The Monty is challenging, unusual and immaculately presented. Some will hate it, but it's a must play course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played the Monty for the first time this year. Would be great to see what it will be like during an Irish Open year- they would need to toughen it up and improve condtition from when I was there.

Just a big course and space to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Monty for me as well. Liked both and as others have said is a great streatch of holes on the O'Meara however over 18 holes the Monty wins out.

Some great bunkers, once you dont go in them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Monty for sure. Heard only good things about it and would love a crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fourcandle

Monty for me, far superior to O'Meara which hopefully will benefit from the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Fourcandle wrote: »
    Monty for me, far superior to O'Meara which hopefully will benefit from the changes.

Had a proper look at the changes and it's amazing they didn't go for it sooner.

The new first, unlike the weaker holes on the O'Meara, is framed by trees on either side of the hole. Some of the O'Meara holes aren't well defined, aesthetically speaking. This one seems to have a good shape to it. Similarly, the new 18th will run down along the river, opposite the Monty 18th, and the old mansion sits directly behind the green as you play to it. So they both look good.

More positive in that the two holes being removed (1st and 18th) are pretty crap - a nothing hole to begin with, and the spoof dog-leg and blind green of the 18th is a total let down after the preceeding stretch of good holes.

Lastly, as the new holes start and end near the club house, the nonsense of driving up or getting a lift to and from the 1st tee and 18th green will be no more.

Thinking about it, the only really nothing hole left on the O'Meara will be the 2nd par 4. You can see why a few people feel it hasn't lived up to the hype when both the 1st and 2nd holes have been two of the worst on the course - not a good first impression. It's good that that'll change.

I'd put Adare, K-Club Palmer, Druids Glen, Headfort New, Mount Juliet and a few other parklands well ahead of it at the moment. If the improvements go well, it might end up at least in the same conversation as those though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I am contacting courses for the Inside the Ropes gig, for 2013. So far, Ballybunion and Adare have both said yes. No dates yet, but Ballybunion will be in April.

I'm hoping to get Carton House too, so a quick poll:

Which course would you prefer to play: Montgomerie or O'Meara?

I've been lucky enough to play the Montgomerie a couple of times, but for some reason haven't been tempted to switch to the other one. I've walked a few holes and although they're probably more aesthetically pleasing to the eye in some ways, I still prefer the Monty...

Interesting to see the poll running relatively close at a 62%/38% in comparison to the thread (where by a quick calculation seems 80/20)

Maybe us lads that prefer the Monty are like the man himself, a bit loud and annoying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I'll solve this, tell them you want to play both courses and ask them to include an overnight stay :D:D

ssbob wrote: »
    I'll solve this, tell them you want to play both courses and ask them to include an overnight stay :D:D

Actually, I was thinking of chasing up on 36 holes as a possibility... I suspect the overnight stay suggestion might get the two fingers it deserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Actually, I was thinking of chasing up on 36 holes as a possibility... I suspect the overnight stay suggestion might get the two fingers it deserves!

Especially with the year that's in it, it would be great to play Monty Course. But would feel while your there at all it would be better to review the whole resort!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ssbob wrote: »
    Especially with the year that's in it, it would be great to play Monty Course. But would feel while your there at all it would be better to review the whole resort!

+1. It would be a great venue for a 36 hole scratch cup but they don't seem to hold any and rarely if ever even an open competition, that's one negative to the place.
    I get the impression the resort is quite stingy in it's promotion of the venue and wants to try and keep it exclusive which might explain the lack of scratch cups and open events. It might also explain why the GUI/Independent did not run it's Most Improved player competition last year.
    I'd suspect you'll be doing well to get the one course review from them Kevin but as a 36 hole venue they shouldn't be forcing you to decide between the two especially with it being the headquarters of the GUI and home of the Irish Open this year.

Advertisement