Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refused bord gais PAYG meter.

Options
  • 01-02-2013 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

ran into arrears on my BG electricity bill due to a slow down in work. rang them today to ask about getting a pay as you go meter installed only to be informed that they "arent doing them for the moment" (reps exact words).

so now they expect me to make minimum payments that are out of my reach. i told them what i could currently afford but seemingly i'm still under threat of disconnection as it is too little (surely my means should be taken into account?).

i remember reading a few months back that the PAYG meters were being used a lot because of families running into problems (mainly because of ridiculous energy costs). has anyone any info on why this has suddenly stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Probably because the pay as you go doesn't pay the arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

actually it does. a certain % of each top up goes to arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Give the energy regulator a bell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

emeldc wrote: »
    Give the energy regulator a bell

just spoke to them and the rep said that the scheme was in full swing. she looked at my situation and said that i was perfectly eligible. next step is to contact BG again with the info ive just been given and if they still hold the same position, an official complaint needs to be put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

were in a similar position. Got into arrears, they were threatening disconnection in a letter we got but they said the option of a pay as you go meter was available. We decided to go with that option as we have it for gas and its great! Rang them to get it installed but we were told theres a 3/4 month waiting list so we have to pay min payments until they can get round to installing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We got into arrears with our bill and they installed a PAYG meter straight away, so don't believe the BS that they aren't doing them.
    If you owe them money, they'll take it out of your credit every time you top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Our neighbour got her's in a week before Christmas, she owed over €280. Maybe thats an issue? I think you are better off without one, everytime you buy say €40 credit €10 will go on your arrears, €5 on standing charges and the rest on gas. You could be going through a good few top ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'll be the first to admit I've spent a bit more in the past two months on top-ups than I ever did on my bill, but I prefer it this way.
    I'm in control of what I spend and when I get the top-ups, rather than getting a huge bill every two months and then being hounded to pay it in a certain amount of time.
    For the majority of PAYG users, it's the fact they're in control that appeals.

Bord Gais also take 25% of your top-up if you owe them an outstanding bill.

Advertisement