Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing jobs - signed contract already but new offer now in

Options
  • 01-02-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

*sighs*

When it rains it pours eh?

So yea as per subject line.

Did interviews with two companies A & B (not literally A & B).

Did second round interviews with both.

Really liked A.

B offered me contract.

A had some internal stuff going on and weren't in position to make me an offer.

Received B contract and sat on it for a few days before signing and sending back (last week)

Get call today from A who should make a formal offer.

:confused:

I said I'd think it over if I get it.

Recruiter A tells me until I walk in the door to B the first day I can still change my mind but idk.

So whats protocol in this situation?

Advice?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It happens. I don't hold my breath on a new hire actually starting until I see them walking in the door on the first day, and even then you never know if they are hanging on for another offer.

If you would much prefer to work for Company A, then you need to look after yourself and accept their offer. Company B (and the recruiter if you went through one) will be a bit miffed, but that's business. Just make sure that Company & Recruiter A know that they have to pull their finger out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

If I was you I wouldn't pull out of B until you have received the contract of company A. Have they given you the job formally? Or just told you over the phone? You might still get screwed if you don't play it safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I suppose it depends on the industry, but I wouldn't have any problem waiting until I got a contract to sign for A. Then speak to the manager at B and tell them I got an strong offer from A and would be more comfortable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I suppose it depends on the industry, but I wouldn't have any problem waiting until I got a contract to sign for A. Then speak to the manager at B and tell them I got an strong offer from A and would be more comfortable there.

Well, you do always have to look after number 1, but it can be a major pain to have a new starter leave very quickly after joining, so personally I'd try and avoid that and get Company A to make their offer sooner.

Advertisement