Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 Geantrai

Options
  • 01-02-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I was at a recording of Geanrtai last night in The Crane here in Galway and at the end of the session the director stood up and told us that this series would likely be the last for the show.

I don't know if TG4 have something else planned as a replacement but I personally think it's a great show and, if anything, could be longer. I'd love an hour long show to be honest with more from the musicians.

I'm mentioning it in case anybody feels like writing to TG4 to try and keep the show. I'm not affilitated with TG4 or the production company who makes it. I just always enjoyed the show so I'll be very sorry to see it go and, if it does go, I really, really hope there is something equivalent coming in it's place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

From the TG4 website

"Traditional Music and Song
    1. The priority for this year’s traditional music output is a high volume, low cost
    performance based series shot on location to replace the long running Geantraí strand.
    The series should have 13 half hours or more of energetic performance,
    presented in a fresh and highly visual manner, can be but need not be presenter driven,
    include a huge raft of traditional singers and instrumentalists, will appeal to the widest
    possible audience and be highly entertaining"

Link
    http://www.tg4.ie/assets/files/treoir-B.pdf

So it looks like it's true.

I'd have to agree that Geantrai is a great program. Looking at the description of the proposed replacement they want a bit more energy in it, sounds like more music and less presenter.

Sad to see it go but let's see what Mac Geantrai will be like.

Advertisement