Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got robbed by eircom

Options
  • 01-02-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

So a guy comes to my door in December saying that eircom have a great new deal for 25 Euro a month i can get broad band and home phone. Great i say sign me up. I just got my second bill today and it was for 57 Euro. I ring up and ask what is going on and i am told the package does not apply to the first or last bill. I was never told this but i am informed it is in the small writing. Really underhanded by eircom. Is there anything that can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Irishder wrote: »
    So a guy comes to my door in December saying that eircom have a great new deal for 25 Euro a month i can get broad band and home phone. Great i say sign me up. I just got my second bill today and it was for 57 Euro. I ring up and ask what is going on and i am told the package does not apply to the first or last bill. I was never told this but i am informed it is in the small writing. Really underhanded by eircom. Is there anything that can be done?
    Hi Irishder
    can you PM me your tel and account number and I will check this for you. This may be pro rata charges.
    I can advise once I have details.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thanks Tony, Just PM'd you. Its really fustrating when you sign up for a package for 30 euro a month then you are charged 87 Euro over 2 months and eircom response is its the way the package is set up or its "Pro Rata"

Thanks Tony, Just PM'd you. Its really fustrating when you sign up for a package for 30 euro a month then you are charged 87 Euro over 2 months and eircom response is its the way the package is set up or its "Pro Rata"
    Thanks Irishder, am chasing this for you now.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Hi Irishder

I have looked through your bill that was issued on 28/01/13 and it seems to be correct. Our bills are issued each month ( monthly) and are also in advance. On page 2 of 2 you will see your broadband bundle package (Talk Off Peak and NGB Regular) which adds up to €49.18 excluding vat. As both packages are bundled together you receive a discount of €12.60 ex vat. You will then see a trial line promotional credit of €16.26 ex vat (€20 inc vat) Trial Line promotion:

The retail offer will be €20 inc vat off the line rental per month x 6 months for customers who also avail of eircom broadband. Total discount will be €20.00 x6 =€120.00 inc vat. so therefore you broadband bundle package will cost €25 per month for the first 6 month €50 per month thereafter.

As your broadband was activate on 29/12/12 you are charged for part period rental €24.60 ex vat, this is a charge from the date your broadband was activated up until the your bill was issued (28/01/13). This is a one off charge for those additional days only. As your bundle package includes free landline calls (within Ireland only) evening and weekends only, there was a charge of  €1.48 for daytime calls.  As our bills are quoted excluding vat you will then see a vat charge of 23% which is €10.67. This brings your total charges for this period to €57.07 inclusive of vat. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards
    Linda

Hi Irishder

I have looked through your bill that was issued on 28/01/13 and it seems to be correct. Our bills are issued each month ( monthly) and are also in advance. On page 2 of 2 you will see your broadband bundle package (Talk Off Peak and NGB Regular) which adds up to €49.18 excluding vat. As both packages are bundled together you receive a discount of €12.60 ex vat. You will then see a trial line promotional credit of €16.26 ex vat (€20 inc vat) Trial Line promotion:

The retail offer will be €20 inc vat off the line rental per month x 6 months for customers who also avail of eircom broadband. Total discount will be €20.00 x6 =€120.00 inc vat. so therefore you broadband bundle package will cost €25 per month for the first 6 month €50 per month thereafter.

As your broadband was activate on 29/12/12 you are charged for part period rental €24.60 ex vat, this is a charge from the date your broadband was activated up until the your bill was issued (28/01/13). This is a one off charge for those additional days only. As your bundle package includes free landline calls (within Ireland only) evening and weekends only, there was a charge of  €1.48 for daytime calls.  As our bills are quoted excluding vat you will then see a vat charge of 23% which is €10.67. This brings your total charges for this period to €57.07 inclusive of vat. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards
    Linda
    Linda,
         Thanks for getting back to me on this. I understand everything that you have said above but the problem that I have is i signed up for a deal that is 25 Euro a month and i am after being charged 87 Euro for the past two months. I am sure everything you have said is written is small print somehwere on my contract but it is a very underhanded way to do business. At the end of the day i signed up with the understanding of paying 25 Euro a month and i am paying more. In my mind i was mis sold this deal.

• Advertisement

Linda,
         Thanks for getting back to me on this. I understand everything that you have said above but the problem that I have is i signed up for a deal that is 25 Euro a month and i am after being charged 87 Euro for the past two months. I am sure everything you have said is written is small print somehwere on my contract but it is a very underhanded way to do business. At the end of the day i signed up with the understanding of paying 25 Euro a month and i am paying more. In my mind i was mis sold this deal.
    Hi Irishder
    I am sorry you feel this. I do know that the explaination of pro rata or part period charges does seem confused and we are looking at a way to explain and manage this more clearly. The advance payment would still remain though, this is pretty much standard on all contracts and no underhandedness intended.
    Tony

Hi Irishder
    I am sorry you feel this. I do know that the explaination of pro rata or part period charges does seem confused and we are looking at a way to explain and manage this more clearly. The advance payment would still remain though, this is pretty much standard on all contracts and no underhandedness intended.
    Tony
    Tony,
       I am not confused at all. The explanation of Pro Rata is clear, The person selling the package never mentioned pro rata payment to me at all. Eircom are using this pricing strategy to milk money out of their customers. Very bad experience so far and i will not be renewing my contract and i will be advising everyone i know to steer clear of eircom. Is it too much to ask to have clear pricing plans, i.e. advertise a price and give it to your customers. Look we are getting no where here, and i am only wasting my time. You have my feedback.

Regards,
    Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Derek,

you asked for people's opinions in another thread. Mine is simple. Only fools buy from the door. If a company is resorting to such base sales tactics as imposing sales reps on people in their own homes what do you think the sales practices are going to be like. Sorry you got done but seriously if you dont close the door to these people companies will continue to use them.

-P

Derek,

you asked for people's opinions in another thread. Mine is simple. Only fools buy from the door. If a company is resorting to such base sales tactics as imposing sales reps on people in their own homes what do you think the sales practices are going to be like. Sorry you got done but seriously if you dont close the door to these people companies will continue to use them.

-P
    Procraststudy thanks for the feedback, yes lesson learnt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Procraststudy thanks for the feedback, yes lesson learnt!!
    Sorry didn't mean to sound aggressive but I think you take the point.

How the pro rata rate of €25 can be more than €25 confuses me also. Surely the best thing to do would be to give people a bit over the six months so they don't feel cheated the moment they sign up, so they're not counting the days until they can cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I was a loyal Eircom customer for years. I paid €115 plus vat a month for a business broadband line. I received a new router from Eircom and most of my wifi products worked fine with it, but two of them, an android device and netbook had issues connecting to the wifi.

They would connect, say it was connected work fine for a few for maybe 30 min, but then they would no longer connect to the internet. The devices said they were connected but you couldn't even ping the router on either.

I ring up Eircom and tell them there is an issue with the new router. I have a degree in IT and work as an IT consultant. No offence to the tec support guy but I knew a lot more about networking and modem configuration then he did, but whatever I told him everything I tried to resolve the issue, he could not fix it either. I said I wanted a replacement modem as it was not working and still under manufacture's warranty. Eircom point blank refused to replace the modem. They said that if I wanted a replacement I have to sign a contract for another year (I was out of contract). I said this is rubbish, if you mobile phone doesn't work and is within it warranty you get a replacement, you don't sign a contact for another year.

I phoned up UPC the next day, I now have a 150mb fiber optic line, 10x faster than my old line and half the price at €59 including vat a month. So then I try to cancel my Eircom line, this is when the rubbish starts, I have two lines on my account, one connected to the internet and a main line, but somehow on the system the broadband line was listed as the main line, so I could not port it over to UPC. I had to write a letter telling them I wanted to cancel I was forced to give 30 days notice even though I asked them to show me in my contact where it said that since my contact started with telecom eireann or however you spell it. So I had to pay an extra month charges @ 25+25+115 for both line rentals and broadband and I couldn't port over my main line. Total BS. 

What I think is interesting is when I called the cancellation line, the girl was only too happy to give me a free modem to keep me as an Eircom customer. To think they would treat a business customer like that is shocking. Even trying to call the tec support I had issues, I rang the business line and it redirected me to the residential and then put me on hold for 25 min, when the guy finally answered he said "hello, hello?" then hung up. Their automatic answering machine is pathetic, takes 4 or 5 steps before you can get put into a hold que. With some knacker voice coming telling me something unimportant and it wont even let me skip it.

I will categorically never use Eircom again, I get a lot of questions asking what is a good broadband provider and I will tell people to get anything else except Eircom. They had a monopoly once, but now that mobile networks and other capable internet providers are a common thing I would not be suprised if Eircom closed down. good riddance is what I say.

Plus no offence to Alan, Tony, Linda and Mark, but the staff they have there are abysmal, uneducated muppets that have no work ethic or phone manner. 

If I was you I would contact Comreg and tell them that you were sold a package under false pretenses. Companies can't just get away with saying it's in the small print, the guy at the door told you one thing and you are not getting that.

KJL thanks for the feedback. I got the same run around when i rang them, they treat you like you are 5. I also have a degree in electronics and a degree in Business management but the person on the other end of the phone really tought i was stupid, she just kept saying the same thing and when i questioned it she kept say "you don't understand".... Anyway off to Comreg i go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I have the same issue, changed my package in early Jan. and have alsoreceived the 'DOUBLE CHARGE'on my bill last week.

I rang and ended up having a row with them about it last Friday, at no stageover my numerous calls before deciding to make the switch to a new package was I informed that there would be a ‘DOUBLE CHARGE’, as all calls are supposedly recorded I asked them to find the point in any of my conversations with them that they stated the ‘DOUBLE CHARGE’ would occur to which they had no response….

As I signed up to a 12 month contract I'm stuck for now but rest assured theday my contract expires is the day I'll be leaving Eircom, they are the biggest joke ever!

I'm a customer of theirs for circa. the last 40 years (P.T, through toEircom). I can honestly say that I have never heard anything as ridiculous as they cannot change a bill as it’s paid in advance.

Roll on Jan 2014 so I can get away from Eircom and it robbery policies!!

kjl wrote: »
    I was a loyal Eircom customer for years. I paid €115 plus vat a month for a business broadband line. I received a new router from Eircom and most of my wifi products worked fine with it, but two of them, an android device and netbook had issues connecting to the wifi.

They would connect, say it was connected work fine for a few for maybe 30 min, but then they would no longer connect to the internet. The devices said they were connected but you couldn't even ping the router on either.

I ring up Eircom and tell them there is an issue with the new router. I have a degree in IT and work as an IT consultant. No offence to the tec support guy but I knew a lot more about networking and modem configuration then he did, but whatever I told him everything I tried to resolve the issue, he could not fix it either. I said I wanted a replacement modem as it was not working and still under manufacture's warranty. Eircom point blank refused to replace the modem. They said that if I wanted a replacement I have to sign a contract for another year (I was out of contract). I said this is rubbish, if you mobile phone doesn't work and is within it warranty you get a replacement, you don't sign a contact for another year.

I phoned up UPC the next day, I now have a 150mb fiber optic line, 10x faster than my old line and half the price at €59 including vat a month. So then I try to cancel my Eircom line, this is when the rubbish starts, I have two lines on my account, one connected to the internet and a main line, but somehow on the system the broadband line was listed as the main line, so I could not port it over to UPC. I had to write a letter telling them I wanted to cancel I was forced to give 30 days notice even though I asked them to show me in my contact where it said that since my contact started with telecom eireann or however you spell it. So I had to pay an extra month charges @ 25+25+115 for both line rentals and broadband and I couldn't port over my main line. Total BS. 

What I think is interesting is when I called the cancellation line, the girl was only too happy to give me a free modem to keep me as an Eircom customer. To think they would treat a business customer like that is shocking. Even trying to call the tec support I had issues, I rang the business line and it redirected me to the residential and then put me on hold for 25 min, when the guy finally answered he said "hello, hello?" then hung up. Their automatic answering machine is pathetic, takes 4 or 5 steps before you can get put into a hold que. With some knacker voice coming telling me something unimportant and it wont even let me skip it.

I will categorically never use Eircom again, I get a lot of questions asking what is a good broadband provider and I will tell people to get anything else except Eircom. They had a monopoly once, but now that mobile networks and other capable internet providers are a common thing I would not be suprised if Eircom closed down. good riddance is what I say.

Plus no offence to Alan, Tony, Linda and Mark, but the staff they have there are abysmal, uneducated muppets that have no work ethic or phone manner. 

If I was you I would contact Comreg and tell them that you were sold a package under false pretenses. Companies can't just get away with saying it's in the small print, the guy at the door told you one thing and you are not getting that.
    Hi kjl
    This makes difficult reading and I can understand your annoyance. I have passed this on the the appropriate managers and sections involved. I understand you have moved and there is not a lot I can do retrospectively , but If you could PM me details of this case I can have this investigated fully and see how we could have dealt with this differently.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 20 horse10

I,m having the same problem with eircom ,guy at door promised me earth moon and stars and since then It's been  a nightmare and I had to move house temporary and I have another contract now for 12 months because of the move and and it would cost me 400 euro if I left ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

horse10 wrote: »
    I,m having the same problem with eircom ,guy at door promised me earth moon and stars and since then It's been  a nightmare and I had to move house temporary and I have another contract now for 12 months because of the move and and it would cost me 400 euro if I left ,

Hi horse10

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Can you PM me with your name, account number and the package / promotion you were quoted by the agent and I can look into it for you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement