Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine

Options
  • 01-02-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anybody here subscribe or buy aquarist/fish magazines?

Somebody suggested Practical Fish Keeping, but I've never seen it around. Then again, others have called it rubbish?

Any suggestions for a bit of light reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Just wondering does anybody here subscribe or buy aquarist/fish magazines?

Somebody suggested Practical Fish Keeping, but I've never seen it around. Then again, others have called it rubbish?

Any suggestions for a bit of light reading?

Practical fishkeeping is pretty good.

Tank highlights, new species introductions, new product reviews etc.

I know the bigger easons have it, as does seahorse aquariums in dublin. Other than that, no idea on stocking sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Practical fishkeeping is pretty good.

Tank highlights, new species introductions, new product reviews etc.

I know the bigger easons have it, as does seahorse aquariums in dublin. Other than that, no idea on stocking sorry.

Tesco Clarehall did stock it,but havent seen it there since before Christmas.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

its very good I think.

Easons in Liffey Valley stock it, bought March 2012 edition yesterday.

Also Seahorse stock it but not as up to date as Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Cheers all, seems that Easons is the best bet so? I'll have a look around so, couldn't see it the last time I went in. Could you let me know when it's issued and what price it is? Just to see would it be cheaper to subscribe it.

I'm located in the North West, so the Dublin suggestions might be a bit far to go! But thanks all the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Cheers all, seems that Easons is the best bet so? I'll have a look around so, couldn't see it the last time I went in. Could you let me know when it's issued and what price it is? Just to see would it be cheaper to subscribe it.

I'm located in the North West, so the Dublin suggestions might be a bit far to go! But thanks all the same! :)

Hi Bebo,

Its always cheaper to subscribe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hi Bebo,

Its always cheaper to subscribe.

Yeah its about €6.15 in the shops or its £47.97 per year by annual credit card direct debit so give or take its around the same price, but us Irish dont get the bonus freebie! And some of them are good ex Fluval Co2 kit was a few months ago, or a filter another month!

I had a look at the subscription price, it's not too bad, but that price says it's for UK subscribers (do we fall under that?). It also seems to be for continuous subscriptions?

The European subscriber says it's 59. I'd find it ridiculous paying that for the mag and not getting the free stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

The only fishkeeping magazine I ever remember seeing is the PFK.

When I was younger, 10- 11 years + ( :eek: ) and big into tropical tree frogs/ reptiles, it was one of the few sources of info I had re such things. I treasured the few editions that had such topics in them. There were a few books, that I still have, but seem very out of date compared to whats on offer these days. (Making myself sound ancient now, Im not btw. :D:pac::pac:)

I think it would be great if we had an Irish equivalent to PFK, as we now have eg Irish gardening magazine. :)

I believe PFK are coming to Ireland this year to do an article on our fish shops, we could push for the Irish to get the free stuff too while theyre at it. :D:pac::pac:

I managed to pick up a copy of this in the Easons in Sligo yesterday. Even thought it was well hidden up the back of the bottom shelf! And it does cost €6.16.
    It came with the 'free gift' too, a seaweed feed for marine fish (I don't have, nor do I know anyone that has a marine setup)

I wasn't expecting it to be as good of a read as it turned out to be! Imight look into subscribing after all! That's if it includes the gifts, seems like it might be value for money then.
    Thanks for all the replies!

Advertisement