Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Exterior walls of house, advice much appreciated

• 01-02-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice here. Live in the countryside in a 4 bedroom dormer. We have trees beside us which of course after every couple of years blow moss/algae/ onto the roofs which then starts flowing down the walls of the house.

I have to start cleaning it. It was done a couple of years ago by a guy that spray some chemical onto the house, left it sit for a few days in the dry weather and then came back and with high water pressure, cleaned it all off.

Brilliant job but can't afford this price every couple of years. Can anyone tell me whats the best way to go about doing it yourself.

The exterior walls are painted white. I read a couple of threads and scared to death now of using a pressure water system or particular types of chemicals.

A newbie when it comes to DIY. so help much needed. I just think doing it by hand with a bucket of water and some detergent would take forever.Forget about the roof, thats for another day but the house is about 2,200 square foot.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

up to woodies and buy 5 litre weed sprayer then buy 2 litres bleach in lidl dilute bleach with water 50/50 and spray it on wall with weed sprayer leave it over night and rinse of with garden hose job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gacisco

nice one, thanks dathi, I already have a 10litre Weed sprayer thats sits on your back, so just need the bleach and a hose to stretch that distance

Brill, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

gacisco wrote: »
    nice one, thanks dathi, I already have a 10litre Weed sprayer thats sits on your back, so just need the bleach and a hose to stretch that distance

Brill, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.:)
    Let us know how you get on. Iv a similar issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

dathi wrote: »
    up to woodies and buy 5 litre weed sprayer then buy 2 litres bleach in lidl dilute bleach with water 50/50 and spray it on wall with weed sprayer leave it over night and rinse of with garden hose job done.

As daithi said PLUS wear old clothing and a hat! Unless you are already fair haired - sprayed bleach falls everywhere! And a regular garden hose does the job for rinsing down - no need for a power hose which can take paint off the wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I have done this before and found that it works well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement