Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website SEO

Options
  • 01-02-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Guys

first of all, I hope i'm asking the correct question as I am new to SEO. I've been tinkering around with the company website www.mobanode.com and i'm trying to increase our page ranking on google.

It was cached today by google and I had some very small success. Can anyone suggest how I might go about getting even better results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You could add title tags to your links and use typekit instead of image fonts to start. Maybe get a copywriter to help with your content.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Thanks, going to be doing some work on the blog myself and will be adding title tags soon for the links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The design is quite stylish, but for SEO that won't do much good. You need to get more relevant text into pages, treated properly so that your SEO juice is increased.
    • Use headings better. Having 'What we do' in a heading tag isn't going to help as the words have pretty much no SEO value.
    • Simlilarly, "No other medium is as personally engaging, or as capable of such wide reach, timely relevance, and variety of interaction." has no SEO and no Sales value. You would be better off replacing that with <h1>Looking to develop Mobile Apps for Android, iOS and Windows devices.</h1> Using that text is more keyword relevant and conveys exactly what you can do for a potential customer immediately upon arriving to the page. The existing text, even if not as an image, does none of this.
    • Use alt tags for images.

You also need to avoid some practices.
    • Meta description is for description, so don't use it for keywords.
    • Also the meta keywords is ignored by the big search engines, except for Bing who will look at it for signs of keyword spamming. You have 'app(s)' in there 4 times, which is what Bing marks down.

That's mainly just on-site stuff, after that you need to plan for link and presence building.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Thanks T, Have done some work on it and waiting for Google to crawl. Will be going some work on the content soon. I've also paragraphed the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Buglim: I look like you've been hacked, to a degree.

It look and feels very much like a "conditional redirect" hack so the redirect is happening when the 'referrer' is Google or/and perhaps other search engines. Is when you are found in a Google search.

The most likely cause of that is probably buried in your .htaccess

Look for lines similar to:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} .*gooo?gle.*
    RewriteRule .* http://nasty.com [R,L]

That's the rewrite rule. (nasty site is an example name - you're being redirected to a polish site). The rule is running sporadically and not on every page - but its still there.

The second point of this is that it didn’t happen by chance - the back door was open somewhere. Your permissions might be screwed up – or, more likely you may have a virus on a machine and the FTP user name and password has been compromised.

PM me if you’re really stuck (like really really really........! ;))

C

• Advertisement
Advertisement