Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net speed problem

Options
  • 01-02-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all
    Have a problem with a laptop. trying to fix it for a mate of mine.
    He has windows vista, laptop is a fujitsu siemens and its about 7
    year old. Net is 3kb/sec at best. He has google chrome.
    I upgraded vista. its on service pack 2 now. But net is still extremely
    slow. Dont know where to go from here and dont know a whole deal about
    computers.
    Are there different versions of chrome? Should i look to install latest one?
    The driver is a Huawei E586. device manager says its working ok but should
    I update the driver anyway? if so where can i get one?
    Any other advice is very much welcomed.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Create a bootable usb with a lightweight linux distro. Yumi from pendrivelinux is good it runs on windows.

Boot from the usb and try the speed test.

If it is still rubbish then its the connection or the hardware.

If its fine then your problem lies with the operating system. You have either got something running in the background which is eating your band with or seriously hogging your cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

FSL wrote: »
    Create a bootable usb with a lightweight linux distro. Yumi from pendrivelinux is good it runs on windows.

If its fine then your problem lies with the operating system. You have either got something running in the background which is eating your band with or seriously hogging your cpu.

Thanks for that. I'm not too well up on this but is that a flash player (yumi) I need to download? So when I run that it must give the modem a help out?

FSL wrote: »

I understand a bit more now. youtube has some videos on creating bootable usb. System is a fairly outdated though Intel celeron (R) , 530 @ 1.73 Ghz.
    1gb ram. 32 bit operating system. How backward is this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Espoo wrote: »

I understand a bit more now. youtube has some videos on creating bootable usb. System is a fairly outdated though Intel celeron (R) , 530 @ 1.73 Ghz.
    1gb ram. 32 bit operating system. How backward is this?
    I would seriously consider upgrading your RAM to 2 or more gb vista will crawl on only a gig. It is quite easy to upgrade the RAM and cheap enough :-)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I would seriously consider upgrading your RAM to 2 or more gb vista will crawl on only a gig. It is quite easy to upgrade the RAM and cheap enough :-)

Nick

Nice one Nick, thanks
    Would you expect this to help the net speed much? It takes about
    3 minutes to open a web page at present!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Espoo wrote: »
    Nice one Nick, thanks
    Would you expect this to help the net speed much? It takes about
    3 minutes to open a web page at present!

It could well be the issue is the system is running out of memory so it slows down all other tasks as it needs to use "virtual memory". Try uninstalling the Hawaii dongle and re-installing it also, could be a fault with the driver but I would say vista on a Celeron 1GB RAM machine is the culprit. Mum has a similarly specced Toshiba that shipped with Vista Basic and it was dog slow. More RAM sorted it though

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    It could well be the issue is the system is running out of memory so it slows down all other tasks as it needs to use "virtual memory". Try uninstalling the Hawaii dongle and re-installing it also, could be a fault with the driver but I would say vista on a Celeron 1GB RAM machine is the culprit. Mum has a similarly specced Toshiba that shipped with Vista Basic and it was dog slow. More RAM sorted it though

Nick

I will try that. Yeah vista with celeron do not go together. In windows task manager. It says cpu 0-5% Processes 44 and physical memory 56%. Dont know if these figure are of any significance?

Cheers

Advertisement