Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two independent desktops running from a single PC.

Options
  • 01-02-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭

I've been running my PC (W7) in a sort of ad-hoc HT setup for the last 6 months or so running it into both a both a standard monitor for standard computing, but also the TV for films and the like. Usually I like to control the TV side of things from my phone (unified remote) and have actual window manager installed as well so it's almost like a full desktop on either monitor.

Lately I've been wondering about the possibilities for running two even more independent desktops from a single PC and by that I mean the same scenario as I have now basically but with independent mouse cursors and keyboard control, separate sound devices (Realtek/AMD HDMI), graphic devices (AMD/Intel) so that essentially two people could make use of it at the same time without interfering with the other. Opinions around the 'net on the mouse and keyboard issue alone seem varied. There seems to be various software that claims it allows this but I haven't been able to get them to work with unified remote and I don't think they were exactly designed for that anyway. Might also look at VMware/Virtualbox to see if I can use either of those as a second desktop in the way I would like it.

Was just wondering if anybody else has thought about this, has advice, or tried this/ just built a small dedicated HTPC or bought a Mac Mini or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭briany

With some experimentation, it seems I can do this by installing a guest OS on VMware Workstation (XP), routing the sound output to AMD, networking the host's main storage drive so I can access my local media and installing Unified Remote server on the guest. Pretty cool. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

You wouldn't really want to use a VM to watch movies on a TV. You'll not get full graphics card access so will lose acceleration for HD files if required. Also you might get tearing with lack of vsync and less / no post processing to deblock and improve picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I think you want multiseat computing, it's not going to be free though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭briany

You wouldn't really want to use a VM to watch movies on a TV. You'll not get full graphics card access so will lose acceleration for HD files if required. Also you might get tearing with lack of vsync and less / no post processing to deblock and improve picture quality.

I haven't really noticed any of those issues of which you speak yet although I knew it would be naive to expect none. It's just a kind of improvised setup that I'm trying. I doubt I'll be watching many HD files FWIW.

Advertisement