Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose dog attacked my puppy

• 01-02-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I was out walking my puppy in the last hour and a large dog came up behind us and bit my pup near his tail and growled at us. My puppy yelped and I quickly grabbed him into my arms. We came straight home and the other dog followed us. My OH went out to see who the dog belongs to, he has no collar and a neighbour said he lives in the estate and is always roaming around.:mad:
    I have cleaned my dog and the skin is not broken thankfully but he was shaking for a good while(as am I). I have never seen this dog in our estate before on our daily walks. I have tried to look up the number of the dog warden in Cork but the council offices are closed. Can anyone help? Thanks

Here is a picture of my beautiful puppy, he fine now:)

f66d2ee5-405b-4a80-96cc-446f82fd5bca_zps795fc746.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Out of curiosity, where abouts in cork are you? There's two dogs in my estate that are often loose and chase/hassle people walking their dogs.. Even those without dogs.

Also your pup looks so much like mine! Hope he's ok after that :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ah, sorry to hear that. He's a lovely lil fella! Hope he's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Out of curiosity, where abouts in cork are you? There's two dogs in my estate that are often loose and chase/hassle people walking their dogs.. Even those without dogs.

Also your pup looks so much like mine! Hope he's ok after that :-(
    Im in douglas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's not a lot going to happen with the council til Monday, and even at that they may not do much, though if they know who owns the dog they might impose a pretty pathetic fine.
    What's more important now is your pup, you need to do some damage limitation. Go out tomorrow a few times, armed with pockets full of really tasty treats, something the pup will love but doesn't get much... Chicken, maybe? Diced into pea sized pieces.
    Find yourself a place to sit, with pup on a lead, and every time a dog comes into view, say "look!" To your pup, and get treats into your pup, by hand, or scattered on the ground around him. Do this as much as you can. Then start walking him, and when you see another dog, the same thing: treats and a light, praising voice.
    It's no harm to do this sort of stuff with a pup anyway, but you want to immediately remedy any negativity your pup might have towards other dogs now. Hopefully he won't have any, but just in case he does.
    He's very sweet looking... But I bet he's a rascal!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

DBB wrote: »
    There's not a lot going to happen with the council til Monday, and even at that they may not do much, though if they know who owns the dog they might impose a pretty pathetic fine.
    What's more important now is your pup, you need to do some damage limitation. Go out tomorrow a few times, armed with pockets full of really tasty treats, something the pup will love but doesn't get much... Chicken, maybe? Diced into pea sized pieces.
    Find yourself a place to sit, with pup on a lead, and every time a dog comes into view, say "look!" To your pup, and get treats into your pup, by hand, or scattered on the ground around him. Do this as much as you can. Then start walking him, and when you see another dog, the same thing: treats and a light, praising voice.
    It's no harm to do this sort of stuff with a pup anyway, but you want to immediately remedy any negativity your pup might have towards other dogs now. Hopefully he won't have any, but just in case he does.
    He's very sweet looking... But I bet he's a rascal!
    Thanks for the advice, I was worried it would put him off going for walks. He is just getting used to being on the lead and meeting other dogs. I will try the sitting down with him and bring some chicken,his favourite. He's only 15 weeks, yes he's a rascal. Never sits still unless he asleep on top of me. He is full of fun and energy always up to mischief, but I wouldn't change him for the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement