Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shotgun purchase

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

maxusman wrote: »
    I like the old saying " Pumps dont spit,they swallow" .A pump will fire whatever you put thru it within reason ie,if you put a 3 1/2 inch shell in a gun built for 3 inch or less you could be in trouble.

Are pumps less likely to Jam thab the semi autos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

susign wrote: »

Are pumps less likely to Jam thab the semi autos?

Your choice of ammo could cause a semi not to cycle properly. A pump does not have that problem. Regardless though, don't put a super magnum sized cartridge into a gun designed for magnum cartridges. Remember good idea/ bad idea from animaniacs? :)

Re: remington/mossberg
    The main difference are in weight due to receiver construction. The mossberg has a thumb operated safety whereas your trigger finger will operate the safety on a 870. It's all down to preference really. They are both solid guns and have a huge following.

If I were you I would look for a second hand one in the for sale section. These guns are built to last so you needn't be worried. They normally go for around the 300 mark second hand. My 870 was very well used when I got it, plus the abuse I have given it and it still functions flawlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Could you rock up to a club and go target shooting with a shotgun?
    I don't mean clays, I mean paper targets down the range, maybe with slugs or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Not unless you have a restricted shotgun licence. And the range must have authorization for them to be shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MrScootch wrote: »
    Could you rock up to a club and go target shooting with a shotgun?
    I don't mean clays, I mean paper targets down the range, maybe with slugs or something?

No.

No range, that i know, accomodates any type of target shooting outside of clays with a shotgun, and not with slugs.

I don't believe it's even a sport or more to the point none that i would be aware of. Plus when you get into shotguns with a slug you are better of with a rifle.

Then there is the issue of the guns as restricted as described above.

So No.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

There are several different competitions for slug shooting just not here.

Exactly my point.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Shame. I figured 'target shooting' was a more plausible excuse than "Really big game Garda :D:D:D

Relax, just kidding!!!

Seriously just thought a shotgun sounded like a great low-budget all-rounder to start off on, with target shooting just for kicks, not for serious competition.
    So would a range have to have specific authorisation for individual types of ammunition, or just 'anything restricted'? Just curious.

Two uses for shotguns;
    1. Clays
    2. Game

Anything else would need a rifle.

As for serious comp. you can dictate how serious it gets. just because there are comps does not mean you have to enter, and more to the point you would not start of against national champions. There are classes that you have to achieve a level of skill in before progressing onto the next.

As for ranges. Clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting, but they do montior, and police the types of shooting on their ranges. They will not allow slugs or any targets other than clay pigeons. Rifles ranges have a list of what is and is not permissible to be shot. Also each range is certified for different calibers, and its this certification that determines the caliber/bullet size that can be used on it.

lastly it all depends on the type of shooting. Some ranges can shoot up to 50 caliber rifles. However as there are no competitions in Ireland for such calibers no one (or at least few people) has one. So no point buying a gun in a caliber that you do not get to use. So there is a strong link between what is legal, and what is practical to use/own.

Yes they need authorization for different calibres and then also the shooting positions people are aloud to shoot from. Most ranges only cater for .22 etc.. because of cost and also noise levels.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think I'll go check out Courtlough, which I found a link for on here, and see how I get on. Might find a small target rifle more my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

bravestar wrote: »
    Your choice of ammo could cause a semi not to cycle properly. A pump does not have that problem. Regardless though, don't put a super magnum sized cartridge into a gun designed for magnum cartridges. Remember good idea/ bad idea from animaniacs? :)

Re: remington/mossberg
    The main difference are in weight due to receiver construction. The mossberg has a thumb operated safety whereas your trigger finger will operate the safety on a 870. It's all down to preference really. They are both solid guns and have a huge following.

If I were you I would look for a second hand one in the for sale section. These guns are built to last so you needn't be worried. They normally go for around the 300 mark second hand. My 870 was very well used when I got it, plus the abuse I have given it and it still functions flawlessly.

Yes, watched a very good youtube clip where a guy explains the difference between the mossberg and the 870. All of his points matched yours exactly. I still have the soft spot for the 870 though, now that I have researched so much into them. It's hard to imagine that the 870 was introduced in 1949! that says somethin

Advertisement