Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Chip Shop of Horrors

Options
  • 01-02-2013 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Is it just me or is the quality of food in the towns chippers lately gone down hill? Dannys, ballybricken chipper, Frydays, Robertos in Lismore park, the Istanbul they have all really let there standards drop, the only chipper in my view which is consistently good is the cleaboy chipper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Is it just me or is the quality of food in the towns chippers lately gone down hill? Dannys, ballybricken chipper, Frydays, Robertos in Lismore park, the Istanbul they have all really let there standards drop, the only chipper in my view which is consistently good is the cleaboy chipper.

Is it just me or do you eat way too much chipper food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Is it just me or do you eat way too much chipper food!

Should have said i visited those chippers over many days maybe 6 or 7....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Haha was that supposed to make it sound better?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

You need to broaden your culinary tastes and take a walk up to Rue de la Mayers Walk where Johnie Walkers serve great Poisson Frites you'll never say Fish and Chips again.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    You need to broaden your culinary tastes and take a walk up to Rue de la Mayers Walk where Johnie Walkers serve great Poisson Frites you'll never say Fish and Chips again.

You know what....i think i will! Problem solved close this thread moderator sorry for wasting everyones time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Should have said i visited those chippers over many days maybe 6 or 7....

5 trips to the chipper in 6 or 7 days is pretty much the definition of way too much chipper food!!

It gives me a couple of ideas about where your username comes from... ;)

5 trips to the chipper in 6 or 7 days is pretty much the definition of way too much chipper food!!

It gives me a couple of ideas about where your username comes from... ;)

If i went and bought spuds everyday and had them for dinner that would be ok but going to the chipper nearly every day is frowned upon? This blatant chipper racism has to stop !! :D:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

The spuds are grand. It's the dipping them in fat & then lashing salt on them thats the problem

Delicious delicious problem...

You know what....i think i will! Problem solved close this thread moderator sorry for wasting everyones time! :)

Only having a laugh I love Fish and Chips meself but they ain't that cheap anymore.

Only having a laugh I love Fish and Chips meself but they ain't that cheap anymore.

I find chipper food in general is cheaper than a few years back so to maintain there profit there cutting costs with chips, oil etc hence the decline in quality IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

If i went and bought spuds everyday and had them for dinner that would be ok but going to the chipper nearly every day is frowned upon? This blatant chipper racism has to stop !! :D:):p

Don't mind him, he just has a chip on his shoulder.

TheGormog wrote: »
    Don't mind him, he just has a chip on his shoulder.

Are you just trying to curry favour?

At least I can feel safe in the knowledge that there is no Horse meat additive in me oul bag of chips and the bit of cod.
    Well I hope its cod.
    Went into the drive through at McD when I was on a visit to town during the week and got a burger. Ended up st*ting like a horse all night after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

jonnie walkers is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

At least I can feel safe in the knowledge that there is no Horse meat additive in me oul bag of chips and the bit of cod.
    Well I hope its cod.
    Went into the drive through at McD when I was on a visit to town during the week and got a burger. Ended up st*ting like a horse all night after it.

You'd be lucky to get cod anywhere these days. Most of the time its any kind of white fish.

Load of ould pollocks if ask me.

Kxiii wrote: »
    You'd be lucky to get cod anywhere these days. Most of the time its any kind of white fish.

Load of ould pollocks if ask me.

I don't really mind so long as it comes from the sea so long as there is no foreign additive that doesn't come from the sea.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Bring back Delicatos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

At least I can feel safe in the knowledge that there is no Horse meat additive in me oul bag of chips.

Horse meat is very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

What do you think the problem is with, the chips or the fish? In a recent topic in this board, I heard a complain about the fish not being cod, etc.

What do you think the problem is with; the chips or the fish? In a recent topic in this board, I heard a complain about the fish not being cod, etc.

Your coding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I don't know if any chippers know how to do it properly.

Chips should be cut fresh from potatoes, not tipped out of frozen bags.

Should then be cooked in lard, not manky old oil.

Fish should be fresh, coated in batter then fried, and served. Not fried, left in the warm box then fried again when someone buys it.

And cod shoud be cod, haddock should be haddock, etc.

I don't think I've ever had a really nice fish 'n' chips in this country.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Any of the Italian places do nice Fish and Chips. Not sure if there are many in Waterford but Dublin is full of them. You can be sure you're getting Cod from them as well (unless you ask for Haddock)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

no one does chips cooked in Beef Dripping anymore - mmmmm, childhood memories. Was in a restaurant in Dublin a few weeks ago and they were a special side order with Bearnaise sauce! um!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

jennygirl wrote: »
    no one does chips cooked in Beef Dripping anymore - mmmmm, childhood memories. Was in a restaurant in Dublin a few weeks ago and they were a special side order with Bearnaise sauce! um!

You can buy McCain ones from the freezer in big super markets. They are expensive for a small pack but if you deep fat fry them I guarantee they'll be nicer then the chips from Any chipper in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I always go to the Marian ( by the mercy). You wouldnt meet nicer people. The Marian is a member of ITICA

http://www.itica.ie/

Its a association of tradtional Italian chippers. Angelo in the Marian loves to talk and told me all about how basically most of the old families are related to each other and came from the same area of Italy.

Last year ITICA paid for researchers to visit chippers and buy Cod and published the results. In the Marian you can get Cod and chips or fish and chips. fish and chips is cheaper but its haddock.

I always thought Johhny Walkers was overrated but I like the Marian and Dooleys in Tramore as well.

jennygirl wrote: »

I was in the UK last month, went in for the obligatory fish 'n' chips, and the guy was loading a massive block of lard into the fryer!

mmmm!

A.

jad2007 wrote: »
    I always go to the Marian ( by the mercy). You wouldnt meet nicer people. The Marian is a member of ITICA

http://www.itica.ie/

But in the amusing graphic on that site, there are warmer boxes full of pre-cooked fish!

I rest my case!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I heard a rumour before the weekend that Frydays was closing. Said I wouldn't put it up because it was exactly that - a rumour, but drove by there this morning and they were removing all the signage and the delivery van was there with all the graphics stripped from it.

Disappointing to see for a lot of reasons obviously, but I'm local to it and always hoped they would encourage a corner shop or something similar to move in next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The best two in town:

* Humdingers - Dunmore Road side.

* The Marian - North City side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

7upfree wrote: »
    The best two in town:

* Humdingers - Dunmore Road side.

* The Marian - North City side.

The Marian is lovely but Humdingers is horrible! The last time I got chips in there, they were both burnt and soggy, how da fuq does that happen?:confused:

Also, because they have ridiculous dance music blaring any time I've been in there, they always get the order wrong, so you wait 15 minutes for the wrong order accompanied by manky chips, I'd never eat there again.

Advertisement