Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh and Wire.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

grindle wrote: »
    Well, with a low resistance wire you'll need to think a bit more about it, 'cos what are 4/5 turns with .20 kanthal will be 6/7 with this, and it's kinda wide.

Either way, I -sadly- can't wait to try it. Kill me now.

hmm.... i see. in that case...

3oui7t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

his...eyes...

so blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Count me in for a sheet of #500 mesh, some NR wire and a some of that ribbon stuff grindle pwease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The AGA is good but prone to hotspots the thinner the wire gauge.

.20 at least for less hassle, .25 or ribbon would be relatively painless but need a lot of wraps for higher resistance.

I also find the airhole too small in the AGA. Tight draw, more throathit (even when directly in front of the coil) slightly less flavor and less vapour.

Having said that, for the price it's awesome and a huge step up from everything below it. If you know someone with a small drillbit, get them to drill a 0.5 or 1mm hole 1mm above the one already there.
    I'll have to check if rickyjb still wants mine actually - if not, I can sell it to the smarmiest bidder.

Digby! Everywhere is sold out of .13 Kanthal that I can see bar a shady Chinese operation called coolinio and an American eBayer that sells it mega-cheap by the hundred-foot.

I got one from Republic of Goon, thanks for keeping me in mind though!

Can you put me down for 500 mesh, 0.20 & 0.25 kanthal wire and some of that ribbon wire (highest resistance possible)? I'd also take some 2mm & 3mm silica wick if it's not too much hassle. Thanks.

I'm still in "experiment with everything" mode so safer just to get a bit of everything:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

What way is the mesh coming? A4 sheets?

I'll take some 400 and 500 please and I'll take a spool of .20 ribbon kanthal too!

• Advertisement

How does the 400 and 500 mesh differ, when would you use one over the other?

eeloe wrote: »
    What way is the mesh coming? A4 sheets?

I'll take some 400 and 500 please and I'll take a spool of .20 ribbon kanthal too!
    How it comes depends on how many are buying. I'll probably pick up a couple of A3 sheets of the #500. All the sheets of mesh come with a free sheet of some unnamed #grade, and there's a discount for ordering £40+ as well, so the more the merrier.
    The ribbon Kanthal that's available is equivalent to .25 Kanthal (0.6mm wide).
    The one that's equivalent to .20 Kanthal (0.3mm wide) is sold out everywhere due to the sudden rush from our sort. Might wait until Monday to put the order through just in case they get a delivery Monday.
    Got an email from a different vendor and he said it'd be a week before he had it back in.
    rickyjb wrote: »
    How does the 400 and 500 mesh differ, when would you use one over the other?
    Based on tests a dedicated vapenerd posted on ECF, VG wicks faster with #200 and #325 than it does with #400, PG prefers #400+.
    Both PG and VG wick faster with #500+ than with any of the lower numbers.
    That're no real reason to use a lower # material over the #500, though if you have or they give us free lower numbered sheets, they'd be fine for most uses and especially dripping.
    The faster wicking mesh is only needed for tall-ish genesis atties to make sure the feed is keeping up with the vape.

How it comes depends on how many are buying. I'll probably pick up a couple of A3 sheets of the #500. All the sheets of mesh come with a free sheet of some unnamed #grade, and there's a discount for ordering £40+ as well, so the more the merrier.
    The ribbon Kanthal that's available is equivalent to .25 Kanthal (0.6mm wide).
    The one that's equivalent to .20 Kanthal (0.3mm wide) is sold out everywhere due to the sudden rush from our sort. Might wait until Monday to put the order through just in case they get a delivery Monday.
    Got an email from a different vendor and he said it'd be a week before he had it back in.

Based on tests a dedicated vapenerd posted on ECF, VG wicks faster with #200 and #325 than it does with #400, PG prefers #400+.
    Both PG and VG wick faster with #500+ than with any of the lower numbers.
    That're no real reason to use a lower # material over the #500, though if you have or they give us free lower numbered sheets, they'd be fine for most uses and especially dripping.
    The faster wicking mesh is only needed for tall-ish genesis atties to make sure the feed is keeping up with the vape.

Thanks for the info grindle, in that case can i amend my above order to just loads of the 500 grade, I'm not picky with my juices so they're generally 50/50 vg/pg.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭rui1000

hi grindle if you are ordering silica a aswell ill take some silica too if not just the mesh and wire! also if you are looking to sell your aga i could be interested since i dont have a rta yet

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

400 and 500 mesh,I'll try some of the .25 ribbon too and defo some .2 if it's back in stock before you order ,thanks Grindle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

I guess i will have try this ribbon to
    .25 if u cant get .2 and a few meters of NR wire and some 3mm wick if your getting some.

summary so far

rui1000; .20 kanthal & 500 mesh & some silica to

artyeva; kanthal ribbon - 0.2

Lucutus; a sheet of #500 mesh, some NR wire and a some of that ribbon

Rickyjb; loads of 500 mesh,

Eeloe; some 400 and 500 please and I'll take a spool of .20 ribbon

Aerosol; 400 and 500 mesh, I'll try some of the .25 ribbon too and defo some .2

Heliguy; ribbon .25 if u can’t get .2 and a few meters of NR wire and some 3mm wick

let me know if I got it wrong.

summary so far

rui1000; .20 kanthal & 500 mesh & some silica to

artyeva; kanthal ribbon - 0.2

Lucutus; a sheet of #500 mesh, some NR wire and a some of that ribbon

Rickyjb; 400 and 500 mesh, 0.20 & 0.25 kanthal wire, ribbon wire. 2mm & 3mm silica wick (both thicknesses not essential, whatever's convenient)

Eeloe; some 400 and 500 please and I'll take a spool of .20 ribbon

Aerosol; 400 and 500 mesh, I'll try some of the .25 ribbon too and defo some .2

Heliguy; ribbon .25 if u can’t get .2 and a few meters of NR wire and some 3mm wick

let me know if I got it wrong.

Changed my order above, I meant I was just changing the mesh not removing all the other stuff. Which I've decided against.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If I'm not too late, I'll take a sheet of 500 mesh too, some of the ribbon kanthal (higher res if you manage to find some), and some of the NR. And if you happen to pick up some .16 regular kanthal I'd take a few meters too :)

Thanks for organising this Grindle.

Think I've found the higher res stuff, so I'll be ordering that after work.
    Keeping many shopping carts on open pages with anything other than a PC is a pain in the page-reloading hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Got some of the kanthal ribbon today,the big stuff around .25. Made up two coils...one with 5 wraps and the other with 6. You'd be hard pressed to get 7 unless you have a monster wick hole. 5 wraps ended up at 1.0 ohms, no hot spots and vapes a treat. Hot spots and lots of fiddling with the 6 wrap but eventually got it sorted and came in at 1.3 ohms and vaping great too. Not sutable at all with a mini genny like the Aga-S or Mini Did clone types unless you have a mechanical mod.

Yeah, with the thinner ribbon I was hoping to get 3-4 wraps per coil inside the Killer's ceramic cup.
    The handy thing about ribbon wire is it can be crimped as opposed to twisted together for dual coils.
    That'll my mechanical set-up, I hope. With the way people are talking about how the Killer can get by great with lower voltages I'm sort of expecting a dual coil in it to be obnoxiously tasty.
    What was causing the hotspot with the ribbon? Cuts into the mesh when twisting at the top coil, or is it springy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

What was causing the hotspot with the ribbon? Cuts into the mesh when twisting at the top coil, or is it springy or something?

Found it hard to get six wraps on without any of them touching. I'll be a bit more careful next time and see how I get on. Todd managed it and got 1.4

My version of the sparkomatic is finished, all I need now is some NR wire
    picture.php?albumid=2284&pictureid=14562

• Advertisement

My version of the sparkomatic is finished, all I need now is some NR wire
    picture.php?albumid=2284&pictureid=14562
    Was it easy and cheap to make?

Did you use breaktru's guide/instructions?

Was it easy and cheap to make?

Did you use breaktru's guide/instructions?

Easy enough to make using the guide.
    Free used cams from my local photo shop and bits and pieces found in the shed.
    The stationary post was born of necessity as I only had one clip but it actually works very well.

Update: all of the Kanthal and silica wick has arrived from Poland, which is amazing considering it took them three days to process the order then ship it.

The mesh and NR wire was shipped the day after the order - from England - and still hasn't arrived. Strange ways for strange days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

point of inquiry: WHAT DA FUQ is a sparkomatic???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Dang! only just read this thread now.
    Would #500 mesh be suitable for wicking an ego-c atty?

Update: all of the Kanthal and silica wick has arrived from Poland, which is amazing considering it took them three days to process the order then ship it.

The mesh and NR wire was shipped the day after the order - from England - and still hasn't arrived. Strange ways for strange days.

Sweet! :)

Let me know how much i owe ya via PM and i'll make payment ASAP! :)

eeloe wrote: »
    Sweet! :)

Let me know how much i owe ya via PM and i'll make payment ASAP! :)

Well, I was gonna wait until the mesh came before I sent stuff out to those who wanted both mesh and wire, but if you want the wire sent separately today, I can do that?

Eh, nah feck it, it'll be handier to wait till it's all arrived! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think I only wanted wire, didn't I?

• Advertisement

I think I only wanted wire, didn't I?

You did. PM that address and PAY ME MY SHEKELS GODAMMIT!
    Sorry, bit of Killer-related fury being let off there. Sounds like a Lynx deodorant. Killer Fury.

Advertisement