Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a Velux window.

• 01-02-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Velux window (GGL-7) about 25 years old. It's in a bad way, really drafty and the wood is fairly rotten.

I know I can replace the glass on it's own, but a whole new window is the easiest and best option. They don't make GGL-7 anymore, but the new exact size replacement is U04.

When I buy the new window, do I get the window and the outer frame (the part the fixes to the roof), as the outer frame seems ok, and it would be easier to just put in the window. When I see them for sale I see it as one unit..

6209.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Hi,

I have a Velux window (GGL-7) about 25 years old. It's in a bad way, really drafty and the wood is fairly rotten.

I know I can replace the glass on it's own, but a whole new window is the easiest and best option. They don't make GGL-7 anymore, but the new exact size replacement is U04.

When I buy the new window, do I get the window and the outer frame (the part the fixes to the roof), as the outer frame seems ok, and it would be easier to just put in the window. When I see them for sale I see it as one unit..

6209.jpg

Tbh you will probably get a new one supplied and fitted for the same price you will buy one yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Just on Velux windows..... my window as above is Sticking ...would it be better to use Oil or a Grease on the hinge????

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Just on Velux windows..... my window as above is Sticking ...would it be better to use Oil or a Grease on the hinge????

Grease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Johny 8 wrote: »
    Tbh you will probably get a new one supplied and fitted for the same price you will buy one yourself!

This is the cheapest I found. Fairly big window.

I'd probably fit it myself if it was only the window, and not the outer frame.

But you're probably right, maybe just as handy and cheaper to get a pro to fit and supply.

Would they still do the outer frame, as this seems perfect? Can you just buy the window itself, without the outer frame?

Thanks.

This is the cheapest I found. Fairly big window.

I'd probably fit it myself if it was only the window, and not the outer frame.

But you're probably right, maybe just as handy and cheaper to get a pro to fit and supply.

Would they still do the outer frame, as this seems perfect? Can you just buy the window itself, without the outer frame?

Thanks.

Window itself will cost 400+ vat.
    Full kit probably 455+ vat

• Advertisement

Velux trade brochure btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Thanks. Will get a few prices on Monday from fitters and see what they would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I've refurbished 5 Velux's at home now.

Take the sash out, get a velux glass replacement (70-130 euro) & refurb kit (25 per window). primed and painted the frames and replaced the glass (painting first).

Looks great afterwards. Before and after pics attached. I also changed the blind on this window.

Advertisement