Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

1st year birthdays! Wow.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hello ladies,
    How are all the babies doing in this fine weather? My crazy lady is flying but since she's discovered she can sit from lying down night times have definitely not been as peaceful! Please tell me this is a short lived phase because we keep going in to find her sitting up holding onto the bars like a little prisoner. This morning she was trying to work out how to stand in the cot. Oh and she's pointing at everyone and everything now. Thinks that and her fake cough are hilarious. She's also got a fine temper. Raided the folded washing and made off with a pair of my underwear and my running socks and lost the head when I took them off her , shaking her head and waving her arms :eek:

Two and a half weeks to the end of my summer holidays and half my childcare has fallen through. My poor mother needs an operation on her knee so there's no way she'll be able to do the two days as planned. She was all up in a heap ringing me to tell me. She was all upset. I keep telling her we'll be able to sort something and not to be worrying about it!!

Roesy wrote: »
    Hello ladies,
    How are all the babies doing in this fine weather? My crazy lady is flying but since she's discovered she can sit from lying down night times have definitely not been as peaceful! Please tell me this is a short lived phase because we keep going in to find her sitting up holding onto the bars like a little prisoner. This morning she was trying to work out how to stand in the cot. Oh and she's pointing at everyone and everything now. Thinks that and her fake cough are hilarious. She's also got a fine temper. Raided the folded washing and made off with a pair of my underwear and my running socks and lost the head when I took them off her , shaking her head and waving her arms :eek:

Two and a half weeks to the end of my summer holidays and half my childcare has fallen through. My poor mother needs an operation on her knee so there's no way she'll be able to do the two days as planned. She was all up in a heap ringing me to tell me. She was all upset. I keep telling her we'll be able to sort something and not to be worrying about it!!

That's a shame about your mam, Roesy - will she be laid up for long? Hopefully you'll be able to sort something out - part time childminder maybe?

I had to smile at Olivia's antics - Hugo greets me most mornings standing up, looking over the bars saying mamamamamamama! He's also obsessed with pulling up and cruising along the TV cabinet. Nothing is safe. He too loves socks :)

nikpmup wrote: »
    That's a shame about your mam, Roesy - will she be laid up for long? Hopefully you'll be able to sort something out - part time childminder maybe?

I had to smile at Olivia's antics - Hugo greets me most mornings standing up, looking over the bars saying mamamamamamama! He's also obsessed with pulling up and cruising along the TV cabinet. Nothing is safe. He too loves socks :)

Waiting for a scan to determine the exact level of the problem and whether it'll be cartilage or a full blown knee replacement so we have no idea yet. I've told her not to worry about us. My in-laws have said they'll take her four days and my husband is taking parental leave one day a week so that buys us a bit of breathing room. Will look at crèche/childminder if that doesn't work out. The one childminder I rang wasn't too impressed with teacher holidays and I got the impression she wanted something more fulltime which is fair enough I suppose.

My little monkey has quickly mastered the standing in cot routine. Went in after I put her down for her nap yesterday and she was standing up shouting because she had somehow managed to get her feet stuck down the side of the mattress even in her grobag. Lay her back down and went off out. After a few minutes I could hear music so I went back into her room again to find her standing up again holding onto her mobile after managing to turn it on. She gave me a big beam as if to say 'look Mama, see what I can do!' I think my short but peaceful naps may be over!

Hugo managed to fall twice today with one of us standing right beside him - the first time he whacked above his eye on a corner, the second, he fell on top of a toy and bashed his cheek. He's now sporting two big bruises. I think he was tired and his balance & coordination was off, he went for two monster naps today; 2hrs 40mins in total - he's up since 5.10am :-/ Tomorrow's my turn to get up... hope he does better than that!

Re brushing teeth - a few times in the last few weeks babs has fallen asleep while having his 8pm bottle, we've brought him up to brush his teeth and he's woken up, and then we have anything up to an hour before he'll go back to sleep. OH reckons we should brush his teeth before his bottle, so that if he falls asleep we can just put him straight down, but I don't like the idea of the milk sitting on his teeth all night. What do ye do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Only seven working days to two weeks leave from work:-)
    Weve a mad woman here,not pulling up a lot but crawling into odd places and getting stuck a lot.
    Shes waking now most nites from one onwards and its a struggle to get her back down. I miss her sleeping through!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Do you have anything nice planned Groucho ?
    Nikpump I have yet to brush his teeth bad mammy!! What kind of brush do you use? Will get one today!
    Have a very active little boy. Flying it with the crawling and has started standing up mainly in his cot to get out though haha.
    Bedtime is a battle and he wakes once during the night now too. All this after he used to sleep 12 hours :-O
    In spite of that I'm getting very broody for another eeeek!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Our little Rory didn't recognise us at first when we came home from the States. He soon remembered though, and is now as clingy as hell.

My brothers in law discovered his love for reggae while we were away. He's been bopping along to Bob Marley good-o all week.

Aww were you gone long Das Kitty? Would love a holiday!
    Love Bob Marley too must root out some music.

8 nights from their perspective. It was a long time, but good nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. Just wondering if any of ye are having trouble trying to get yer babies to drink the bottle? Samuel down to 2 bottles, morning and bedtime. Making 7 oz bottles but he might take 100mls only from each bottle. Has anyone started giving cows milk yet? Wondering if he'd drink that better!!

Still on 3 bottles here but I'd say we will drop one soon enough. He is definitely not as interested in bottles as he was. Just wants food! In saying that though there are some days he really enjoys them but they are few and far between. Not sure about the cows milk yet though.

Three here too. Morning, bedtime, and before his daytime nap. I'll be changing the daytime one to a beaker soon (ish!) He really loves his bo-bos!

lolademmers, I use an oral b baby brush, and a smear of dentinox teething toothpaste. It's more to get him used to the idea of having his teeth cleaned, he seems to like it! Doesn't take long with only 8 teeth, but I think more are on the way, he's gnawing and drooling and red cheeked.

Nearly had a heart attack yesterday. We were in Wexford, in OH's mother's holiday home. Hugo was playing on the landing while I stood guard at the top of the stairs. All of a sudden, he's at the bannisters and pulling up, he's half up when I realise that they are wide enough spaced for him to fit through - and a 20 foot drop under them onto a tiled floor. You've never seen anyone move so fast.

You must have gotten a big fright nikpmup! My lady decided granny's stove fire was the most attractive thing in the world today.

We use a baby toothbrush too. Oral b as well I think. Had been using dentinox but the phn said no toothpaste , not even dentinox before 2. This was at her 9 month check a couple of weeks ago. She gave me a leaflet and it said the dentist didn't recommend using toothpaste before 2, just water and an ordinary soft bristle baby brush. With regards to the question about night time brushing, my husband usually puts her to bed but if she falls asleep with the bed time bottle he has a clean muslin with a wet corner in the room and just gives the teeth a quick wipe. I reckon some nights he forgets though!!!

Olivia is on three bottles too but they are 6-7oz. I tend to put an ounce or two of her middle of the day bottle in the doidy cup a few times a week if we are at home for it. She enjoys it. Not sure she's ready for it to replace the whole bottle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Oh god I'm so awful I'm still on maybe 4 bottles, but he's such a bad eater these days, so slow to eat anything! Although each of those bottles he's only drinking 4oz so I don't feel so bad.

He;s still quite small tho so I'm not hugely concerned a the mo.

We're not moving onto cows milk, he'll be on follow on until he learns to eat more!

I'm so excited I have 2 and a half weeks off work for my birthday then bubs birthday! :)

I brush his teeth as often as i remember gets done once a day but shur he only laughs

How's all the bubs and mammys doing now that we're creeping close to the 1st birthdays? Puddinghead, you were the first on the thread, weren't you? Or am I remembering wrong?

We're heading off to Lanzarote for a week a few days after Hugo's 1st birthday. The military planning has started in earnest, we bought a quinny zapp xtra 2nd hand the other day to bring with us (his buggy is huge so we wanted something compact to bring) We've the flight booked, the travel cot booked in the hotel, the taxi and car seat booked. Ready made formula and ellas pouches will be brought, he has a swimsuit and swim nappies. Looking forward to it - it'll be a veeerrry different holiday to the ones in the past, lol! Drinking a sedate glass of wine on the balcony and getting out of bed at the time I'd normally be getting in ;)

How's all the bubs and mammys doing now that we're creeping close to the 1st birthdays? Puddinghead, you were the first on the thread, weren't you? Or am I remembering wrong?

We're heading off to Lanzarote for a week a few days after Hugo's 1st birthday. The military planning has started in earnest, we bought a quinny zapp xtra 2nd hand the other day to bring with us (his buggy is huge so we wanted something compact to bring) We've the flight booked, the travel cot booked in the hotel, the taxi and car seat booked. Ready made formula and ellas pouches will be brought, he has a swimsuit and swim nappies. Looking forward to it - it'll be a veeerrry different holiday to the ones in the past, lol! Drinking a sedate glass of wine on the balcony and getting out of bed at the time I'd normally be getting in ;)

Very exciting about the holiday. I kind of wish we'd gone while I was still off. Back to work with a bang and feeling lonesome for my little best buddy. I'm sure once we all adapt to the new routine it'll be fine.

First birthday is a bit away for us yet. She only turns 10 months the end of next week.

Nikpmup, your little man was army crawling too, wasn't he? Did he stick with that? Olivia is doing the odd couple of paces here and there of normal crawling but still reverts back to her army crawl. I'm not too worried about the not crawling in the usual way just curious about it really. People keep saying she's going to walk soon but to be honest I think it's a bit away myself.

He's still doing the army crawl, like herself, he does the odd normal crawl but drops to the belly and shuffles off when he wants to move fast! He's well into the cruising, he can almost run around the cot! Every now and again he sort of forgets he's supposed to hold onto something and lets go and falls on his arse :) I'm practicing getting him to stand on his own, he thinks it's gas. I make a big deal of saying ''ready...steady... go!' and letting him stand alone for a sec. He manages to balance for about 3 seconds before toppling over into my arms, thinks it's really funny! And I got fed up waiting for him to learn to clap so I started teaching him today, he did it once or twice (sorta....!!) Still resolutely refuses to say dada. It's killing himself :0

I feel like I havent posted in a while.
    Lo is doing great,she is such a chatter box,and shouts at random people in shops,shes very funny.
    Bad mammy hasnt yet started brushing her three teeth.bought a brush saturday though.
    Oh has moved for work.finding it hard going doing things on my own,energy levels are quite low at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Hey ladies, haven't been on in ages. Back to work and crèche illnesses has meant busy weeks! Bloody crèche germs, first week back to work he picked up gastrobug n then me n hubbie were both sick with it too. Then this week he had some weird rash thing n a temperature so was out again! I now feel Like I'm getting flu, lots of aches n pains! Total mare I know everyone says to expect them to pick up everything in crèche but I didn't think I would also be sick! Hoping it gets easier, paying a fortune for not that many days of use!! He does seem to like it and has stopped crying when we drop him off so that does make me feel less guilty.

Hard to think of baby turning 1 cos no longer babies then! He is bombing around the place on his walker n anything he can push really, he has stood up and balanced on his own for a few seconds recently. No words yet or anything that resembles mamma despite my best efforts!

We just booked a week in spraining October so looking forward to that. Thinking that it wouldbe handy to have a sling or back carrier for him when we are wandering around the city. Do any of you use carriers and any recommendations? I have the babybjorn but he is too heavy for it now.

Hope you all well and babies too

• Advertisement

Lol groucho, my lad flirts with women, usually shop assistants! Tilts his head and flutters his eyelashes and giggles! Must be tough be on your own - is it for long?

The physio visited again on Monday. I think she thinks we just tie Hugo into a chair and abandon him to his own devices; every time she sees him he sits static on the floor and refuses to budge. Last time she saw him, she said she wanted to see him pulling up and cruising before she signed him off. Literally two days after she saw him he pulled up, and was cruising the following day. He never stops; he isn't happy unless he's standing and trying to walk. He can bend down to pick up toys, he can stand unaided for a second or two, he's clapping, waving... basically, doing everything an 11 month old should. Except when she's there. She wants to see him again in a month. I know she's only doing her job (and I'd rather she be over-cautious than the other way round) but he really doesn't need to be seen any more, I'd hate to think I'm taking the HSE's limited resources away from someone who needs it more just because my stubborn son refuses to perform for her!

Knock, I have a manduca carrier, I got it from kiddicare.ie but they don't seem to doit anymore. koalacubs.ie have a good range of hip-friendly carriers. I also have a hipseat, its like a bumbag that he sits on - great for taking the strain off your shoulders. I'm bringing my carrier on hols, I reckon it'll be great for getting on the plane!

Delighted to hear everyone is getting on well. Imagine this time last year we were getting all geared up for the big event!!
    Anyone contemplating baby number 2???

Alone here for the foreseeable nikpmup.
    Wont be any bubs two here for a long long time.
    Were still on four bottles but generaly she doesnt finish them all now that shes having biggish brekkie and dinner.

Delighted to hear everyone is getting on well. Imagine this time last year we were getting all geared up for the big event!!
    Anyone contemplating baby number 2???

Daydreaming about number 3 here. It'll be mid next year before we even contemplate it though :)

Rory is finally crawling. He moved to the wobbler room at crèche this week. He's mad craic. He imitates the voices I put on for bedtime stories. :)

The wobbler room?! Best name ever!!

Hugo has started to scream this week for sh1ts and giggles. That'll be fun on a four and a half hour flight! (We're going to be ''those'' people on the plane :P)

The wobbler room?! Best name ever!!

Hugo has started to scream this week for sh1ts and giggles. That'll be fun on a four and a half hour flight! (We're going to be ''those'' people on the plane :P)

Ha so has the messer here,i swear she can communicate with dogs the pitch on it

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Hey everyone, cant believe its nearly been a year.

Had first steps last weekend..nothing is safe!!! She got herself half way up the stairs a few weeks back..I've a nutter on my hands

Started in creche 2 weeks ago and has a vomiting bug now.. its the first time shes been sick..its so sad :( also got my first period back today. Not fun!!:(

Any of you have any big ideas for first birthdays?? Having a halloween baby makes it inevitable that she will be dressed up but need a good costume hmm

Nikpmup dont worry about the flight...there will always be someone to entertain him..I went inter railing for 3 weeks with my lo and everything went smoothly so you will be grand :)

Were you breastfeeding Madison so you only got your period back now?
    Hard to believe it's nearly a year. What a year!! Can't wait for his first birthday. Just gonna have both families up for cake and finger food. Plenty of time for expensive parties I reckon!

Were you breastfeeding Madison so you only got your period back now?
    Hard to believe it's nearly a year. What a year!! Can't wait for his first birthday. Just gonna have both families up for cake and finger food. Plenty of time for expensive parties I reckon!

Were doing exact same,nice and relaxed,looking forward to it:-) she gave me a little hug tonight,was nice

• Advertisement

We're bringing Rory to see eagles for his.

Obviously we'll have to enjoy eagles too and remember them for him. :p

Advertisement