Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Only ten weeks left come Thursday. Feel so lucky to have got this far with no problems other than the textbook pregnancy stuff.

Going proper baby shopping for the first time this evening. We seem to be getting all the big items donated from family members so the shopping list is very boring!

Bought a pack of nappies the other day. Nearly wept at the cuteness! Its been so long since I looked after a newborn that I had forgotten just how tiny they are.

Has anyone tried re-usables before? I was considering getting ten bumgenius cloth nappies [around €100] to use around the house and use disposables for outside the house. They supposedly can do from 8-35lbs which sounds like a great investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

livinsane wrote: »
    Only ten weeks left come Thursday. Feel so lucky to have got this far with no problems other than the textbook pregnancy stuff.

Going proper baby shopping for the first time this evening. We seem to be getting all the big items donated from family members so the shopping list is very boring!

Bought a pack of nappies the other day. Nearly wept at the cuteness! Its been so long since I looked after a newborn that I had forgotten just how tiny they are.

Has anyone tried re-usables before? I was considering getting ten bumgenius cloth nappies [around €100] to use around the house and use disposables for outside the house. They supposedly can do from 8-35lbs which sounds like a great investment.

i'm ten weeks to go thursday too. :)

i've bought the starter pack of the bambino mio re-usable nappies. i'll give them a go and see how i get on before i invest anymore money in them. i've a friend who swears by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

i'm ten weeks to go thursday too. :)

i've bought the starter pack of the bambino mio re-usable nappies. i'll give them a go and see how i get on before i invest anymore money in them. i've a friend who swears by them.

You can rent ten nappies off earthmother.ie for two weeks for €20. I suppose I really should do this. Got my figures wrong too, its around €100 for 5, €186 for ten. Not the kind of money to spend without being totally sure!

Good luck for the next next weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Cannot shift this tiredness!!! snoooooze

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

With in the region of 10 to 14 weeks to go for us October mama's I reckon the sleepies are setting in. I was just wondering what yer coffee/caffeine intake is like?

Did you cut it out completely, do you drink it occasionally or do you just have coffee when you want it?

I cut down to a pay day coffee, so that's once a month for me and may 3 fizzy drinks a week... That's from maybe a coffee or 2 a day + a can o fizzy or 2 a day... but I feel like I've just crashed over the last few weeks...
    My mother suggests apples to bring up the energy but I want something eh more... (like a strong whiskey and a sneaky cigarette alas I shall wait...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I still have my morning Joe. It really helps me get through the morning.

I'm taking a low daily dose of iron too and I reckon that helps my energy, along with keeping really well hydrated (I'm talking 2-3 litres a day).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Only stopped tea and coffee because it was making me puke. Can drink tea again in the last few weeks but coffee still turns my stomach. I do miss it! Will drink a tea or occasional coke or diet coke most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

With in the region of 10 to 14 weeks to go for us October mama's I reckon the sleepies are setting in. I was just wondering what yer coffee/caffeine intake is like?

Did you cut it out completely, do you drink it occasionally or do you just have coffee when you want it?

I cut down to a pay day coffee, so that's once a month for me and may 3 fizzy drinks a week... That's from maybe a coffee or 2 a day + a can o fizzy or 2 a day... but I feel like I've just crashed over the last few weeks...
    My mother suggests apples to bring up the energy but I want something eh more... (like a strong whiskey and a sneaky cigarette alas I shall wait...)

I completely cut out coffee, all alcohol, cigs, Brie cheese, pâté - all the things "they" say you should! I know there's debate around these things, and each to their own, but I feel that (a) for the duration of pregnancy, you're not just a person, you're a host, (b) it took me soooo long to get pregnant, and I'm that little bit older -37- that I think the little risks are increased, and (c) to me, giving stuff up for a few months is a small sacrifice and a small price to pay for peace of mind, and there's nothing on the list of stuff I gave up that I can't survive without.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

nikpmup wrote: »
    I completely cut out coffee, all alcohol, cigs, Brie cheese, pâté - all the things "they" say you should! I know there's debate around these things, and each to their own, but I feel that (a) for the duration of pregnancy, you're not just a person, you're a host, (b) it took me soooo long to get pregnant, and I'm that little bit older -37- that I think the little risks are increased, and (c) to me, giving stuff up for a few months is a small sacrifice and a small price to pay for peace of mind, and there's nothing on the list of stuff I gave up that I can't survive without.

Jaysus, I've just read that back and I don't half sound preachy!! Don't mean to be, the above is just my personal feelings/approach!

nikpmup wrote: »
    Jaysus, I've just read that back and I don't half sound preachy!! Don't mean to be, the above is just my personal feelings/approach!

Nah you don't!

Each to their own.

• Advertisement

I dont drink tea and ive never tried coffee and dont like fizzy drinks so im grand but I do have an occasional smoke. I was trying to give up and stressing over it and my doctor told me to take the odd one because stress is worse. So have around 3 a week which from 12 a day im doing pretty ok I think.... Well thats what I tell myself anyways haha

I'm lucky, I first realised I might be pregnant when I was enjoying a cigarette and nearly fainted... something my mother said she suffered with when she was in the early stages with us, all 7 of us. So I did a test after that started... funny what mammy passed on!

Ohh I must say that to my friend Madisson, she's just after finding out she's expecting but is pretty much crying herself to sleep because she's finding laying off the cigs so hard, and she's cut down from about 20 a day to about 2 a day but obviously wants more.

I'd love one but it usually passes, doesn't help that himself is a smoker, although he's cut down too!

I'm lucky, I first realised I might be pregnant when I was enjoying a cigarette and nearly fainted... something my mother said she suffered with when she was in the early stages with us, all 7 of us. So I did a test after that started... funny what mammy passed on!

Ohh I must say that to my friend Madisson, she's just after finding out she's expecting but is pretty much crying herself to sleep because she's finding laying off the cigs so hard, and she's cut down from about 20 a day to about 2 a day but obviously wants more.

I'd love one but it usually passes, doesn't help that himself is a smoker, although he's cut down too!

Seriously do tell her.. i was stressing myself so much trying not to smoke and my gp told me that it could cause more damage if i keep stressing, so keep it under 6 a day and its ok. Sure when i was in for my 12 week scan i was on about 5 a day and i told the doctor in the rotunda, expecting her to go mad at me and she said oooh well done, youre doing great haha!!!

Obviously its better to give up completely but as long as youre not like a chimney

How's everyone doing? I'm helping my parents move house at the moment so pretty tired but otherwise good. Have an appointment with the consultant next week. Can't believe I'm pretty much at the end of the second trimester. Still have nothing done bar putting a deposit on a travel system though. Anyone thought of any names yet? We can't even agree on a short list :-p There are a couple of names we both don't hate but I want us both to like whatever we call the baby!

Roesy wrote: »
    How's everyone doing? I'm helping my parents move house at the moment so pretty tired but otherwise good. Have an appointment with the consultant next week. Can't believe I'm pretty much at the end of the second trimester. Still have nothing done bar putting a deposit on a travel system though. Anyone thought of any names yet? We can't even agree on a short list :-p There are a couple of names we both don't hate but I want us both to like whatever we call the baby!

I told my husband the name that has been in my head from the start and he didn't blow it out of the water yet...

I'm doing well. Really enjoying being busy at work. I'm 30 weeks tomorrow now. Gas. Where did the time go!?

Heading to the GP this evening for the combined care thing. I couldn't be bothered but I suppose I should. :pac:

We had our big finance meeting at home to decide how we were going to handle bills while I'm on maternity. We're luckier than most in that I get almost all of my maternity leave topped up by work, but still it's good to make plans. There's nothing more miserable than being stuck for cash unexpectedly.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I told my husband the name that has been in my head from the start and he didn't blow it out of the water yet...

I'm doing well. Really enjoying being busy at work. I'm 30 weeks tomorrow now. Gas. Where did the time go!?

Heading to the GP this evening for the combined care thing. I couldn't be bothered but I suppose I should. :pac:

We had our big finance meeting at home to decide how we were going to handle bills while I'm on maternity. We're luckier than most in that I get almost all of my maternity leave topped up by work, but still it's good to make plans. There's nothing more miserable than being stuck for cash unexpectedly.

Time really does seem to be flying now! My husband hates most of the names I've suggested but has only come up with 2 serious suggestions himself!
    Good idea about discussing the finances now. I'm in the same position with work and maternity pay but I'm hoping to take a few unpaid weeks at the end. Would be good to have a plan for that especially.

Im lucky that my job will pay for me too. Does anyone know what the story will be now that maternity benefit is taxable?

Madisson wrote: »
    Im lucky that my job will pay for me too. Does anyone know what the story will be now that maternity benefit is taxable?

You would have actually been getting a small bit more than usual before they made it taxable, so your net shouldn't change at all now.

Unless the top up stops (as it will for me after 18 weeks) then it will be recalculated and applied to the bare 262 euro.

You would have actually been getting a small bit more than usual before they made it taxable, so your net shouldn't change at all now.

Unless the top up stops (as it will for me after 18 weeks) then it will be recalculated and applied to the bare 262 euro.

I dont think its all done automatically though. Either you get in touch with revenue the week you start on it or else u could have a nice bill at the end of the year i think. :S

I dont think its all done automatically though. Either you get in touch with revenue the week you start on it or else u could have a nice bill at the end of the year i think. :S

Well your workplace should ask you to fill in the maternity benefit form which is a revenue form.

The form states the date that that maternity leave will commence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

You girls are so lucky to get paid from work. I'm just getting the €262 but we should be fine, a bit stretched but fine. I'm trying to buy as much now so we have most things got. Is anybody using a crib? I have a moses basket and then was going to put the baby into its cot when it outgrows it. Is a crib just an inbetween thing to use?

Well your workplace should ask you to fill in the maternity benefit form which is a revenue form.

The form states the date that that maternity leave will commence.

Maternity benefit is a social welfare form :( im going to ring revenue on monday and see what the story is :)

You girls are so lucky to get paid from work. I'm just getting the €262 but we should be fine, a bit stretched but fine. I'm trying to buy as much now so we have most things got. Is anybody using a crib? I have a moses basket and then was going to put the baby into its cot when it outgrows it. Is a crib just an inbetween thing to use?

I just have a moses basket and a cot too. Thought a crib was the same thing as a cot haha!! i dunno though ahha

I thought so too until I seen one!! They are small but sturdier than a moses basket. They look lovely but its an added expense we don't need if the moses basket and cot are enough.

I thought so too until I seen one!! They are small but sturdier than a moses basket. They look lovely but its an added expense we don't need if the moses basket and cot are enough.

you learn something new everyday haha :D i shall not be investing in one of them anyways haha

Cribs generally last longer, about 4 to 6 months depending on the child, whereas a moses basket usually only lasts 12 weeks. Most cribs these days can be converted easily into co sleepers.

We have a moses basket and baby will pop from that to the cot.

my brother and his missus had a crib in their room and a moses basket down stairs for day time naps, she had a section so they wanted to limit her need for the stairs.

my other brother and his missus only ever used a moses basket with their two and then straight to cot.

It's all personal preference really.

I was thinking of using the pram part of the buggy for day time naps. Still have to get a buggy though. Actually I mean 'travel system'!!

Lol same, other half just got a new job, but he's not paid until the 28th of august, so there's me paying everything this month... today's payday and i've got 150€ left to spend as frivolously as I want over the next 33 days :P

I'll probably use the pram part too for day time naps. god know the travel system wont be going upstairs :P

Can't wait to get that, my hospital bag, the travel system and the mattress for the cot bed are all that's left...

Lets all cross our fingers that I go over my due date :P

What kind of travel system are you getting we're still deciding although we think we're going for the Baby Elegance Beep Twist or Neyo

Maternity benefit is a social welfare form :( im going to ring revenue on monday and see what the story is :)

It is, but if you're PAYE it should be automatic.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/taxation-welfare-benefits.html#section4

• Advertisement

Yes the Baby Elegance too!! Not sure which one going shopping next weekend and not coming home without a buggy and cot and mattress lol. Have a moses basket already. Have seen gorgeous nursery room sets with matching chests of drawers and wardrobes but our budget wont stretch so will see what catches our eye on the day.
    Got a microwave steriliser last week its very handy it will store in the microwave so wont be taking up counter space. Have bottles too even though I'm planning on breast feeding but I suppose I will need bottles at some stage anyway or if it doesn't work out. Got baby monitors too and lots of baby wipes, nappies, lotions! Been buying stuff since I found out I was pregnant. Delighted to see the little stash I have of supplies!

Advertisement