Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

lol! My partners mother has gone mental, she occasionally pops over with a bag of nappies or bottles or blankets we have 2 microwave sterilizers from her... as she says, just in case.

We had to buy our cot asap to stop her buying it, she had no idea why we'd want to buy these things ourselves...

Don't know what your budget is like but Argos seem to have a similar deal to this every few weeks:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3774319.htm

and the reviews look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Das Kitty wrote: »

youre a star :) thats one less thing to think of :D

On another note....WHY does debenhams keep emailing me on a friday with all their deals!! They should know that im vulnerable, hormonal and have just been paid and should have some considerdation. Im after just spending 75 on baby clothes, all while i havent moved from my desk in work. NOT FAIR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ladies, is there anywhere I'd find a good, practical list of things I'd need for the baby. Am a bit overwhelmed about where to start. I know there are lots of extras and nice things but I'm talking about the essentials. As you can tell I'm a bit of a clueless and disorganised first timer!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

lol! My partners mother has gone mental, she occasionally pops over with a bag of nappies or bottles or blankets we have 2 microwave sterilizers from her... as she says, just in case.

We had to buy our cot asap to stop her buying it, she had no idea why we'd want to buy these things ourselves...

Don't know what your budget is like but Argos seem to have a similar deal to this every few weeks:

That argos set is out of stock I seen it during the week. I keep checking to see if its back but wont hold my breath its just too good value it would be snapped up! You're so lucky with your partners mother. Mine is good but if I didn't call to her she would never think of picking up the phone to see how I am or if I needed anything. I think she doesn't want to overstep her mark maybe? But its still hurtful. Would be nice for a bit of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Roesy wrote: »
    Ladies, is there anywhere I'd find a good, practical list of things I'd need for the baby. Am a bit overwhelmed about where to start. I know there are lots of extras and nice things but I'm talking about the essentials. As you can tell I'm a bit of a clueless and disorganised first timer!

If you find one let me know lol! I just went on websites like amazon and went through the categories and jotted down what I needed not what I wanted. Those two lists would be very different! I think the first thing I bought was a packet of newborn nappies :D

• Advertisement

http://www.aptaclub.ie/pregnancy/pregnancy-prepare/

They have lists for hospital bag and nursery and all that kinda thing :)

Madisson wrote: »
    http://www.aptaclub.ie/pregnancy/pregnancy-prepare/

They have lists for hospital bag and nursery and all that kinda thing :)

Had a quick look at that. Gives me a good starting point. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

For hospital stuff, here is a printable check-list from eumom.ie

http://www.eumom.ie/_uploads/documents/PDFs/hospital_bag_checklist_20110624.pdf

And this page covers most of the bigger stuff you might need:

http://www.eumom.ie/Baby/Baby-Products.aspx

I found it very overwhelming too but once you start collecting/buying a few bits, it becomes easier to imagine what you might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Oh my.... After looking at those links and consulting with my sister (who's had 2 kids) I got a serious case of the panics, which turned into a serious case of the oh-my-god-we're-so-not-ready-to-have-a-child collywobbles!! A few tears were shed over dinner, I made him promise me that if we ever split up that we'd do it amicably, and that we neeeed to sit down and discuss all eventualities, legal, financial, emotional etc. Probably a sensible discussion to have, but my poor OH - yesterday, I was all "I can't wait to meet him/her" and was all excited, today I'm wailing over what we need to do in the event of us splitting up!! To be fair, I think it was my first hormonal wobble yet!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh god, the baby is hammering on my cervix at the mo. Jaysus!

• Advertisement

Oh god, the baby is hammering on my cervix at the mo. Jaysus!

Mine does that too! It's most unappealing! Nothing like trying to explain why you've suddenly winced & gone cross-eyed!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Does anyone know of any decent sales on nursery furniture sets? I missed the argos one that finished Friday - went on Friday evening to place order and the new catalogue was just 'being unwrapped!'- total bummer, but my own full or leaving it until last minute!
    Not looking to spend a Wild fortune - looking at maybe €500 -€700 max for cot, wardrobe and changing unit/drawers.

Thanks a lot!

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any decent sales on nursery furniture sets? I missed the argos one that finished Friday - went on Friday evening to place order and the new catalogue was just 'being unwrapped!'- total bummer, but my own full or leaving it until last minute!
    Not looking to spend a Wild fortune - looking at maybe €500 -€700 max for cot, wardrobe and changing unit/drawers.

Thanks a lot!

I think Ikea are brill.

For example: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/series/11937/

All of that 240 euro.

I can vouch for the quality too. Our little guy stayed in our ikea cot til he was 3 and it's still perfect as are the changing table and drawers.

I think Ikea are brill.

For example: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/series/11937/

All of that 240 euro.

I can vouch for the quality too. Our little guy stayed in our ikea cot til he was 3 and it's still perfect as are the changing table and drawers.

+1 - my nephew, otherwise known as destructathon, had the cheapest ikea cot (about €50) and it lasted him 3yrs - it's still perfect.

My last weeks worry about having nothing done or got has been averted. Have the promise of a cot, Moses basket, changing table and Angel Care monitor now. All in good condition. Just have to get mattresses for the cot and Moses basket. Happy days! Part of me was slightly sad not to be picking these things out ourselves but the practical side of me is thrilled. Saves us loads and I'm sure there is plenty more for us to pick out ourselves.

just the August and september mams to go and then its OUR TURN :D

just the August and september mams to go and then its OUR TURN :D

Bet one or more of us will beat some of those Septembers to the punch. :pac:

I got my maternity pads in Boots at the weekend, they have a 3 for 2 going. I also picked up my little shower gel, deodorant, shampoo and moisturiser. Slowly getting there. :)

I got my maternity pads in Boots at the weekend, they have a 3 for 2 going. I also picked up my little shower gel, deodorant, shampoo and moisturiser. Slowly getting there. :)

im not due untill the 22nd :( ive nothing organised at all other than hand me downs im getting from my sister. cannot stop cleaning the house and getting things done to it and then i go absolutely crazy if anyone messes it up... im not fun to be around at the moment. feels like ive been pregnant forever :(

im not due untill the 22nd :( ive nothing organised at all other than hand me downs im getting from my sister. cannot stop cleaning the house and getting things done to it and then i go absolutely crazy if anyone messes it up... im not fun to be around at the moment. feels like ive been pregnant forever :(

I reckon I'm heading for November myself. Not due until 27th or 28th Oct. I hear you on the feeling like you've been pregnant forever!

I reckon I'm heading for November myself. Not due until 27th or 28th Oct. I hear you on the feeling like you've been pregnant forever!

I miss my body and not being hormonal ha!!! ive never been so uptight in my life!! i sound like a horrible cow but i just want her NOW!

• Advertisement

I miss my body and not being hormonal ha!!! ive never been so uptight in my life!! i sound like a horrible cow but i just want her NOW!

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's very difficult the first time as you have no idea what to expect at all. Don't worry about being hard to deal with or whatever, I'll bet you're not as bad as you think you are.

xx

Gonna head to boots today and start picking up that sort of stuff for the hospital bag. I had a conversation with my sister the other day; she gave me some great tips on getting started, stuff to get that I might otherwise not have known about etc so going to get cracking on all of that. I have a small holdall that'll be perfect for a labour bag and a medium case that'll get packed and put into OH's boot. I'm going to write out my checklist and get started. Think I'll feel a bit more at ease once that's all done - I've had a weird unsettled feeling of late, I'm sure it's just because both me and the house are COMPLETELY not ready!!!

I also reckon I'll be a November Mum, I'm not due until the 30th October - my sister was a fortnight over on her son! :eek:

nikpmup wrote: »
    Gonna head to boots today and start picking up that sort of stuff for the hospital bag. I had a conversation with my sister the other day; she gave me some great tips on getting started, stuff to get that I might otherwise not have known about etc so going to get cracking on all of that. I have a small holdall that'll be perfect for a labour bag and a medium case that'll get packed and put into OH's boot. I'm going to write out my checklist and get started. Think I'll feel a bit more at ease once that's all done - I've had a weird unsettled feeling of late, I'm sure it's just because both me and the house are COMPLETELY not ready!!!

I also reckon I'll be a November Mum, I'm not due until the 30th October - my sister was a fortnight over on her son! :eek:

Ye i know what you mean about the unsettled feeling. think thats whats getting to me so much at the moment. house isnt ready, im not ready.. just all over the place. Might do the same and get going on a list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We bought that (actually got it on sale for approx €400) and it is very good! Nice and sturdy.

Re baby monitors - would like some ideas/recommendations. OH is mad keen to get one of the ones that sends a live feed to his iPad (mr gadget!) but I'm more in mind to get either a video feed one or an angel care. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not terrifically keen on the iPad one as his mams house in Wexford has no WiFi so it'd be rendered useless there; my worry (if you could call it that) with the angel care one is that every time it twitches I'd be bundling the child into the car and racing to Temple Street hospital!!

Re baby monitors - would like some ideas/recommendations. OH is mad keen to get one of the ones that sends a live feed to his iPad (mr gadget!) but I'm more in mind to get either a video feed one or an angel care. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not terrifically keen on the iPad one as his mams house in Wexford has no WiFi so it'd be rendered useless there; my worry (if you could call it that) with the angel care one is that every time it twitches I'd be bundling the child into the car and racing to Temple Street hospital!!

i just have the one that you can hear baby, with any kind of video business id become a paranoid freak and never take my eye off it haha

We use video monitors in work for some of our patients, I have to say I like the idea that I can watch the baby - sometimes snuffly noises are hard to interpret, and while at home it'd be no issue going upstairs, the house in Wexford is bigger and has clanky wooden stairs - I don't fancy trundling up & down them every five mins ha ha ! Hmmm.... More thinking required. I bet it'll eventually boil down to which one is on sale!

We use video monitors in work for some of our patients, I have to say I like the idea that I can watch the baby - sometimes snuffly noises are hard to interpret, and while at home it'd be no issue going upstairs, the house in Wexford is bigger and has clanky wooden stairs - I don't fancy trundling up & down them every five mins ha ha ! Hmmm.... More thinking required. I bet it'll eventually boil down to which one is on sale!

ye for that its a good idea. i literally need to start researching all this stuff.. i didnt even know there was such thing as a video one untill i saw someone selling one on one of those facebook second hand websites :/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

You'll have the next 18 years of picking things out yourself Rosie, I know it seems like the fun things are bought, but take them while they're going! :D

Filling out my maternity benefit forms, have to be in this week... I'm so confused. If I started working in the last 3 years fill in the date, working for this company or working (ie paying prsi) in general?

Also whats the story with applying for an increase if your partner is on less than 310 Euro gross a week does anyone know?

• Advertisement

have any of you had to get a glucose tolerance test? ive to be in the rotunda at half 7 on wed morning, then at 1 ive a rhesus negative clinic and then at half 1 ive a normal clinic. Going to be a long day :(

Advertisement