Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Madisson wrote: »
    have any of you had to get a glucose tolerance test? ive to be in the rotunda at half 7 on wed morning, then at 1 ive a rhesus negative clinic and then at half 1 ive a normal clinic. Going to be a long day :(

Yeah I had it. 'Twas grand. Bring a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

have any of you had to get a glucose tolerance test? ive to be in the rotunda at half 7 on wed morning, then at 1 ive a rhesus negative clinic and then at half 1 ive a normal clinic. Going to be a long day :(

Haven't had to get it yet. I've an appointment Thursday, maybe they'll mention it then. I asked around my friends who have had babies in Cork in the last few years, seems to depend on your doctor. The ones I know who have had it either had something show up in a urine test or had put on a lot of weight with the pregnancy. In other parts of the country it seems to be done automatically if you are over 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Roesy wrote: »
    Haven't had to get it yet. I've an appointment Thursday, maybe they'll mention it then. I asked around my friends who have had babies in Cork in the last few years, seems to depend on your doctor. The ones I know who have had it either had something show up in a urine test or had put on a lot of weight with the pregnancy. In other parts of the country it seems to be done automatically if you are over 30.

Most people I know havent had it and I was just told to get it because my dad had diabetes. Think it must depend.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

My doctor said there don't usually do the glucose test unless there are diabetes in the family (I'm in Cork, so that seems to trend)

I drank a bottle of lucozade before giving a urine sample at 24 weeks and they nearly had a conniption fit cause of glucose levels but they said its nothing to worry about provided it was a once off. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Holles street haven't mentioned it yet, but I've an appointment on Thursday week so I'll ask then. My sister had GD, so I reckon I will be tested. A girl in my job is attending Mullingar and they test everyone there apparently.

On another note.... I picked this up today in Smyths toy store for €7.49 - even if I only use it twice or three times it'll have paid for itself!
    http://pregnancy.about.com/od/babycribs/gr/infantinotravel.htm

That link is just to show the product, Smyths don't seem to have it on their website.

• Advertisement

So I'm pretty sure my baby name has been green-lighted by my OH. He was wondering last night if we should tell our little guy. :o

Anyone else's boobs leaking yet? Mine have been from very early on, they've stepped up a bit now though. I can feel them tingling when it's happening and there's almost always a few milk crystals in there when I'm changing my clothes.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    So I'm pretty sure my baby name has been green-lighted by my OH. He was wondering last night if we should tell our little guy. :o

Anyone else's boobs leaking yet? Mine have been from very early on, they've stepped up a bit now though. I can feel them tingling when it's happening and there's almost always a few milk crystals in there when I'm changing my clothes.

No, not yet...... But I'm soooo looking forward to when they do!! :P I'm wearing nipple formers at night now, as I have an inverted nipple, I want to try to draw it out before the birth, and they come with little cups on them to collect leaky milk.... The first morning I find milk in the I think I'll faint!!

nikpmup wrote: »
    No, not yet...... But I'm soooo looking forward to when they do!! :P I'm wearing nipple formers at night now, as I have an inverted nipple, I want to try to draw it out before the birth, and they come with little cups on them to collect leaky milk.... The first morning I find milk in the I think I'll faint!!

That mightn't happen until after the colustrum. The amount is so small and soooo sugary that it crystalises pretty quickly.

It's a strange old feeling when your milk is in and it's time for a feed. A bit like needing to wee but not quite as urgent, and then the let-down is a sigh of relief. It's a pretty cool way to realise that breasts are organs.

It's a pretty cool way to realise that breasts are organs.

.....as opposed to playthings (as my OH believes!)

Bit of a bargain alert, I just picked up a dream genii pregnancy pillow in TXMaxx for €34.99 - they're €60 in Mothercare.

Hormones have kicked in :)

We picked up a Moses basket in boots today; and this evening I unwrapped it and was having a look when it suddenly occurred to me.... I've been waiting ten years to buy a Moses basket. Ten bloody years. Cue the tears! Think baba knows, I'm getting booted in the side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

How lovely Nikpmup, you are allowed be hormonal and cry happy tears!

I'm reading some of the posts and getting panicked, I have not bought 1 thing for baby yet! I'm due 10th oct so really can not believe where the last few weeks have gone! I am hoping to get a lot of hand me downs of baby stuff but I suppose I need to find out what soon and get a list together! We had to move out of our house to get some work done on it so I don't really have anywhere to put anything so waiting to find out when we can move home, hopefully before Oct! Poor bump has been forgotten about with all the moving and house stuff! Already feeling like a bad mommy!

I had traces of sugar in my last urine test so next visit to hospital I need to see if still there and then will get a glucose test. Doctor said it has nothing to do with what I am eating or diet but I can't help feeling all the jellies and choices lately can't have helped!!

Knock, I've been promised this, that and the other, but so far none of it (apart from the buggy/travel system) has come my direction!! I am going to be telling people to pull their finger out and give me the stuff, or I'll just go and buy it - the Moses basket was one such purchase, I had a vague promise of one hiding in someone's attic but I got fed up of waiting so I went and got a new one. I've been so unsettled the last few weeks, I think it's the panic setting in, so buying a few bits here and there helps calm me down!!

Re the sugars, apparently it doesn't make a difference what you've eaten, but I'm with you - I seem to be living on sweets at times! Gives me a boost in work when I can't have caffeine! I've been checking my blood sugars from time to time in work (we have a blood sugar testing kit) and they've always been around the 6-6.5mmol mark, usually in the evening so I think that's okay, after meals it should be under 7ish for non diabetics.

A jug of lucozade on an empty stomach is not fun.. Rotunda has changed rules in anti d and they now give it to everyone at 28 weeks, getting mine today too! My arms will look like a pin cushion at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Had my 3d can today- the lady old me that the baby is underweight at 1.15 lbs at 27 weeks and to contact my doctor.

I'm freaked! What should I or shouldn't I be doing? Any advice greatly appreciated !!

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Had my 3d can today- the lady old me that the baby is underweight at 1.15 lbs at 27 weeks and to contact my doctor.

I'm freaked! What should I or shouldn't I be doing? Any advice greatly appreciated !!

Two girls I know that happened to. One her baba just took a Later growth spert than normal and the other her dates were moved by two weeks. Both were told its nothing to worry about. Dont be stressing out before you talk to your doctor. Remember shes not a doctor. your hospital would have spotted something at anatomy scan if there was anything unusual :)

It's only an estimate, and they're not a medical facility. Anyone I know that's been given an estimate of weight found that it was way off.

Give your midwife clinic a ring and ask, but try not to freak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

It's only an estimate, and they're not a medical facility. Anyone I know that's been given an estimate of weight found that it was way off.

Give your midwife clinic a ring and ask, but try not to freak out.[/quote

She says usually its because the mom
    Smokes (which I don't) or yor stressed/ not resting enough! My job is really stressful, so I'm wondering now is it the stress if that- beginning to feel guilty now. Awful!
    Will call gpTomorrow-

She says usually its because the mom
    Smokes (which I don't) or yor stressed/ not resting enough! My job is really stressful, so I'm wondering now is it the stress if that- beginning to feel guilty now. Awful!
    Will call gpTomorrow-

Oh sweet lord. What a plank of a woman. If I were you after I get it sorted with my GP, I'd write a letter of complaint.

There is absolutely no way she should be passing remarks like that to you in a flipping 3D scan clinic.

Sure for my 28 scan yesterday all she did was measure my stomach with a measuring tape and look at heart beat... For all I know mine could be the same but its not for some 3d scan person to go freaking you out, pregnancy is hard enough as it is without some know it all scaring you.

Just back from consultant. Baby is breech at the moment but he doesn't seem too worried and says there is plenty of time yet to turn.

• Advertisement

Just back from consultant. Baby is breech at the moment but he doesn't seem too worried and says there is plenty of time yet to turn.

My lad is still turning about. :)

Me too mine was bum down yesterday haha

Everything else was good so I'm not worried. He or she seems to be bang on average size. There were some weird maneuvers going on in there yesterday. Wonder is the fact that baby is breech at the moment the reason I'm feeling most of my movement lower down. Oh, forgot to ask about kick counting today. There seems to be differing info online about it. What has everyone been told by their doctors?

Everything else was good so I'm not worried. He or she seems to be bang on average size. There were some weird maneuvers going on in there yesterday. Wonder is the fact that baby is breech at the moment the reason I'm feeling most of my movement lower down. Oh, forgot to ask about kick counting today. There seems to be differing info online about it. What has everyone been told by their doctors?

I think it's like 10 movements in a day. Not just kicks. It gets more important the closer to 40 weeks you get as it's placental degeneration that can starve the baby of oxygen, slowing them down.

The placenta peaks at 36 weeks and then starts to wind down.

ETA -- this is pretty rare, btw. In case anyone getst too worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

I wouldn't worry about the baby weight at all, I'm now 31 weeks and 2 days, I've put on less than half a stone since I got pregnant and last time I met my doctor I just mentioned to him that I thought I should be heavier and quite frankly bigger, he just laughed and said, prepare to double that bump in the next 8 weeks.

All kids grow at different rates and that's the same in and outside le womb...

As for counting kicks, they've literally just asked me do I feel movement more than 10 times a day, what to expect suggests counting the movements in the morning then in the evening and seeing how much you get an hour...

But that's going the be an excellent way to freak yourself out because your baby is just going to be asleep when you're trying to count the movements lol...

I think my boobs are going to fall off!!! Sooo sore today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I think my boobs are going to fall off!!! Sooo sore today!!

When I come home from work, I take my bra off the second I sit down. Then later I have to go somewhere or do something so end up putting on another bra in the bedroom. Then I come back/finish my job and whip off the new bra. So by the time Im going to bed, I usually have a little pile to bring up with me!

Has everyone started their bag? I got a few more bits for mine today and almost sorted. There's quite a few bits and pieces and Im trying to keep it to the minimum. If anyone's interested, this is what I have so far:

Baby
    • First outfit of baby gro, vest, cardigan, nappy, socks, hat and mittens in a ziplock bag for labour ward.
    • Pack of nappies
    • Vaseline
    • 6 babygros
    • 6 vests
    • Socks
    • Mittens
    • Bibs
    • Hats
    • Cellular blanket
    • Towel
    • Sponge
    • Cottonwool balls
    • Muslin cloths [very cheap in Michael Guineys]
    • Warm suit for coming home
    • Car seat already installed

Me
    • Four comfy tops
    • Three pj bottoms
    • Must get suitable loose nightdress for labour ward
    • Warm socks
    • Slippers
    • Warm loose cardigan
    • 2 packs disposable undies
    • Pack normal briefs larger than normal to allow for maternity pad
    • Breast pads
    • Maternity pads
    • Nursing bras
    • Teatree oil
    • Breastfeeding pillow
    • Book [I must decide on something I know I'll love and keep it until then as a treat]
    • Ipod
    • Shower stuff/face stuff/teeth stuff
    • Hairbrush and boble
    • Camera
    • Ispaghula husk supplement

Will leave my own coming home outfit in car.
    Am i missing anything really obvious or has anyone any tips?

Haven't started the bag but that looks like a good list.

Have a promise of a cot and Moses basket. Have read that I should change the mattress but in that case should I also change the lining of the Moses basket. Haven't really seen them around in shops but saw some online for €20-30. If I factor in the cost of the new mattress am I better off just buying a new Moses basket when I've seen them for about €45-50.

Haven't started the bag but that looks like a good list.

Have a promise of a cot and Moses basket. Have read that I should change the mattress but in that case should I also change the lining of the Moses basket. Haven't really seen them around in shops but saw some online for €20-30. If I factor in the cost of the new mattress am I better off just buying a new Moses basket when I've seen them for about €45-50.
    Boots have Claire De Lune Moses baskets atm for €36, and rocking stands for €22.

Something my sister told me to get for the post natal ward is long pj tops or nighties, as, if you have stitches that need to be checked it preserves your dignity somewhat if you have a long nightie that can be pulled down, rather than totally stripping from the waist down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

How many bags are you girls bringing ? Is it a small bag for the baby and a bigger one for me? Or is the smaller bag for the labour ward and then my boyfriend can bring in the bigger bag for the few days in hospital ?

Advertisement