Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

I got my last bits today! Tea tree oil, arnica tablets, face spray senekot! I got them all in boots and when i was paying the girl told me i had €14 on my boots card would i like to use it or keep it to treat myself after, so i went for the latter and she gave me no 7 vouchers too ;-) i keep forgetting shampoo n conditioner for some reason!

I had docs app today and she told me going by next hospital visit i wont be seeing her until the 6 week check up!! It made it more real!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Lads, the hormones are mad today. Had a tearful wobble when I opened a pack of nappies to put one in the labour bag and saw how tiny they are! Oh and when I was taking the tags off the babygros to wash before packing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    Lads, the hormones are mad today. Had a tearful wobble when I opened a pack of nappies to put one in the labour bag and saw how tiny they are! Oh and when I was taking the tags off the babygros to wash before packing!

Aw! I've had many's a wobble too, the nappies are teeney tiny! And apparently, unless the baby is a big un, they'll be too big and you'll have to turn them down to make them fit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

officialy off work now.
    Bag packed more or less. With being up til 4am being kicked i ordered the bouncer at that time. A lot of people told me dnt spoil it gettin a vibrating one,but others told me it was a god send so went with vibrating
    Did u guys get disposable undies or just big penneys granny briefs?

officialy off work now.
    Bag packed more or less. With being up til 4am being kicked i ordered the bouncer at that time. A lot of people told me dnt spoil it gettin a vibrating one,but others told me it was a god send so went with vibrating
    Did u guys get disposable undies or just big penneys granny briefs?

Big Penneys granny pants here anyway! Afraid the disposable ones would be too flimsy and uncomfortable with the giant maternity pads.

• Advertisement

I have disposables but never thought of that! I might add big granny pants to my list! (Either that or try on a pair of disposables with a mat pad in situ to see what it feels like :o )

Okay, so I've done an inventory of my bags and here's what I've got..... Trusting you good ladies to let me know if it seems too much/too little or if I've forgotten anything vital!

For me:
    Slippers
    Dressing gown
    4 pairs pjs
    Socks
    2 breastfeeding vest tops
    2 breastfeeding bras
    Towel & head turban towel
    Nipple shields (sterilised and sealed in their little cases)
    Toiletries:
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Shower gel & shower puff
    Toothbrush & paste
    Mouthwash
    Alcohol hand gel
    Vaseline
    Tea tree oil
    Razor
    Earplugs
    Face wipes
    Deodorant
    Hairbrush

Phone charger.
    2 packs maternity pads
    10 pairs disposable knickers
    1 box breast pads

For baby:
    8 sleepsuits
    8 vests
    2 hats
    4 pairs mitts
    3 bibs
    24 nappies
    Nappy bags
    Cotton wool pleat
    2 hooded baby towels
    Vitamin D3 drops
    Milton wipes (for wiping down the cot etc)

Labour Bag:

2 nighties (one to give birth in, one to change into should I need to after the birth or during labour if I get messy!!)
    Disposable pants
    Maternity pads
    Small toiletries bag with shower gel, deodorant etc
    Facecloth
    Towel
    Slippers
    Warm socks

Baby outfit (nappy, vest, sleepsuit, hat, mitts, cardigan)

Things I still need to get :
    Shower cap
    Flip flops for shower
    Nipple cream
    Small tin Vaseline for labour bag
    Senekot
    Arnica (need to check if I can take it while breastfeeding)

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Great list! I took my breast pads out of the box it was so bulky and just put then in a freezer bag to make room and I also did the same with the baby's stuff it's first outfit a couple of nappies and cotton wool and have it at the top of my labour bag. Just incase I'm totally out of it my oh knows where it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Good list nikpmup. Id forgotten towels!!
    Do you need to have 2 separate bags? Ive all my stuff in one.

I also have some packs of bars and change for vending machine in mine. I also have 2 blankets for baby and 2 cot sheets, dunno if Ill need them but read somewhere to pack them.

Yeah my sister told me to bring some cot sheets just incase the hospital don't have any. I must get some cereal bars for my bag too and change for the vending machine.

Good point about the cot sheets/blankets - someone told me that pillowcases are the perfect size for the cots in the hospital, so I might pop into dunnes and get some cotton ones today.

I'll be a happier bunny when all this is sorted!

• Advertisement

Good list nikpmup. Id forgotten towels!!
    Do you need to have 2 separate bags? Ive all my stuff in one.

I also have some packs of bars and change for vending machine in mine. I also have 2 blankets for baby and 2 cot sheets, dunno if Ill need them but read somewhere to pack them.

I don't know if you necessarily need two bags, but I figured it would be easier to have the stuff I needed in labour in a small bag so I don't have to be rooting in a big case for anything.

Also, I learned from my sister - if you're packing towels (for yourself or the baby) make sure they're washed, or they won't be absorbent!

I have two bags aswell. A small one with a few bits for the labour ward and the baby and a bigger bag my oh can fetch from the car when we are moved to a normal ward after delivery that has the rest of mine and baby's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Right ladies I definitely need a kick up the behind after reading how organised you are! I have bought a good few of the things needed for the bag for baby but nothing for me yet. I went to buy the big knickers and just couldn't do it, think I needed to be in better frame of mind but now tine is ticking just need to get all. Can't believe due in just over 3 weeks!
    Haven't got our pram yet either, but going to order tonight! I have a long list to do and just can't wait to finish work so I have abit more time and head space!

I did buy arnica and apparently no problem taking if breast feeding.
    Did anyone else hear to take evening primrose oil in the last few weeks? I was told it helps to get the cervix ready for birth!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What I hear about the evening primrose is that it needs to be applied topically.

I'd take any of these labour inducing / helping tips with a heap of salt. The only ones that seem to have an actual effect are ones that make you really sick and crampy. They tire you out before labour and the chances of further intervention increase.

I keep reading about this raspberry leaf tea. Don't think it's meant to bring on labour so to speak but its meant to make it easier. Might ask the midwife what she thinks when I'm in on Friday. Am 34 weeks today, according to some of the literature I got at the antenatal class I should be starting perineal massage. I'm not sure I'm quite at that place yet!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's supposed to make your contractions more effective. There's zero evidence though. I drink it because I like the flavour.

I keep reading about this raspberry leaf tea. Don't think it's meant to bring on labour so to speak but its meant to make it easier. Might ask the midwife what she thinks when I'm in on Friday. Am 34 weeks today, according to some of the literature I got at the antenatal class I should be starting perineal massage. I'm not sure I'm quite at that place yet!

I've read about the perineal massage, I'm interested in starting it - if it works it'd be brilliant, less chance of tearing etc.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I've read about the perineal massage, I'm interested in starting it - if it works it'd be brilliant, less chance of tearing etc.

My cousin got information on it at her ante natal class and gave it to me. The midwive told her its easier if partners do it for them.... I think id prefer to do it myself if i was having a natural birth!!!

My cousin got information on it at her ante natal class and gave it to me. The midwive told her its easier if partners do it for them.... I think id prefer to do it myself if i was having a natural birth!!!

The massage bit I'd let him do..... The stretching bit, not so much!!!

http://www.babycenter.com/404_can-perineal-massage-help-me-avoid-an-episiotomy_1955.bc

http://www.ivillage.com/perineal-massage-your-how-guide/6-n-145602

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

nikpmup wrote: »

Started this last week. I prefer doing it myself, but not easy to reach with the bump in the way. So did it a couple of days on my own to lay down the ground work, and he's back doing it again from tonight.

Hope it helps on the big day - can't believe it is only 3 more weeks...

• Advertisement

Oh I'll be giving it a go alright. Just need to get my head around it in the next couple of days and pick up some oil. Think it was sweet almond we were recommended to get. Anything to help with the dreaded tearing.

My dad has been bombarding me with baby names. He can't understand my reluctance to use certain names if friends in my immediate group have used them already! He's all excited, keeps suggesting girls names and I'm guessing at the moment that bubs is a boy.

Oh I'll be giving it a go alright. Just need to get my head around it in the next couple of days and pick up some oil. Think it was sweet almond we were recommended to get. Anything to help with the dreaded tearing.

We're using Olive oil - read somewhere that it was also ok to use.

Wooha wrote: »
    We're using Olive oil - read somewhere that it was also ok to use.

Might give the olive oil a go, not like I don't have it at home anyway.

I bought almond oil today to start the massage, also bought senekot, shower cap, lip balm, and nipple cream and put them into the bag. Just need to get arnica and I am PACKED!!! Bag into car, six weeks early. I also bought a replacement cover for the car seat, it'll be delivered this week hopefully. All I need to get now is a baby monitor (his department!) and a swing/bouncer. Can't believe I'm actually together and organised - I'm the most unorganised, procrastinating, scatty blonde I know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

My October baby surprised us all and came 4 weeks early!!!! Baby Joseph was born at 2.52pm at 6lbs 2ozs on September 17th and he is perfect!!!! If anyone has labour of delivery questions just ask xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

trinz23 wrote: »
    My October baby surprised us all and came 4 weeks early!!!! Baby Joseph was born at 2.52pm at 6lbs 2ozs on September 17th and he is perfect!!!! If anyone has labour of delivery questions just ask xxx

He's gorgeous :) congratulations xx

Many congratulations!!! He's gorgeous!

Two down, ladies......!!

Big Congratulations xxx hes gorgeous :-)

• Advertisement

What a surprise that must have been!
    Huge congrats - he's a cutie!

Advertisement