Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Should i be worried that the dr i see doesnt tell me any detail as to fluid levels or size of baby? Just tells me all looks good and shoes me out. Ive not spoken about a birthplan or met a midwife either. Due in ten days

I reckon if they say nothing you're okay - it would be mannerly to though! I've seen various doctors at my hosp appointments, some of them mumble "yeah, that looks fine, come back in x weeks", some of them tell me that I've plenty of fluid, point out the baby's head, heartbeat, fluid pockets, etc - depends on their beside manner! I've never been told about the baby's size, except at my 20 week scan, I was told the baby was measuring one pound. I'm going to ask at my appointment next week, I'll be 36 weeks so they might be able to give me some idea.
    As for the birthplan, Holles street have told me to write one and bring it with me when I'm in labour, but they did tell me it could all go out the window too! There's a few things I feel strongly about, so rather than relying solely on a written plan I'm going to be telling everyone I come into contact with my wishes - they can write me off as a bossy patient or a naive 1st timer if they want, but no better woman to make sure I get my own way :) My OH is fully supportive as well, he'll fight my corner for me - I'll discuss things with him beforehand so he knows what I want before it's all panic and stress in the delivery room! The antenatal classes are a good starting point for discussion, they bring issues up that you can then talk about, and you can find out your hospitals policies on said issues - for example, Holles street will give you oxytocin to progress your labour if you haven't started to dilate two hours after your waters have broken - I'd rather wait and see if I can progress more naturally, so if that situation arises I know I can have that talk with the staff at the time, rather than just be given a drug and have an artificially induced labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Thanks ladies, was getting worried when I saw details on other people posts.
    lordy the movement is real low again this evening...........I keep thinking this is it its coming now. But I kind of know in myself its not. With the head down I wonder how Im feeling so much down low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Discuss birth plan with midwife on duty when you present to hospital in labour. Chances are you won't see the same midwife at antenatal visits as you will in the wards as they do rotation shifts and could be in antenatal for a few weeks before getting to delivery again.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Should i be worried that the dr i see doesnt tell me any detail as to fluid levels or size of baby? Just tells me all looks good and shoes me out. Ive not spoken about a birthplan or met a midwife either. Due in ten days

im the exact same. I was breech the last time i was there and it was all talk of a section and then he had a student scan me on wed and there wasnt any talk of it so im just presuming im not breech anymore but he didnt say anything at all to me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

I'm exact same haven't been told anything about fluid or what weight it is at the moment! Due in 12 days now so would be good to have an idea of weight, although I have heard of friends being told approx and then it was nowhere near that at birth! I went to my doctor last week and she kept asking me what height my hubbie is and kept saying its a decent size baby in there! Mmm maybe I should freaked out!

Congrats livinsane on passing your test, it will great freedom for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

All they ever check with me is foetal heartbeat and fundal height with a good-old-fashioned measuring tape. :)

I have a feeling that my fluid levels are low right now though. My tummy is really small and I can feel the outline of him in there when I sit down.

He's still blasting away with the strong movement though, and he's coming out in a couple of days, so I'm not going to panic!

My water was barely a trickle last time. Now the plug... well that was another story. :eek:

so folks, what have ye in the way of baby clothes? I pretty much just have baby grows for the first 3 months. Ive kinda kept away from buying outfits, got a good few next sleepsuits and got dunnes ones aswell. Hope to god weve enough

so folks, what have ye in the way of baby clothes? I pretty much just have baby grows for the first 3 months. Ive kinda kept away from buying outfits, got a good few next sleepsuits and got dunnes ones aswell. Hope to god weve enough

You'll have plenty, don't worry. You'll know pretty quickly if you're missing anything and can get them next time you're in Dunnes.

Babygros and sleepsuits are perfect. The little vests to go inside as well are good.

Make sure you have plenty of washing powder for all the baby clothes washes you'll be doing!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You'll have plenty, don't worry. You'll know pretty quickly if you're missing anything and can get them next time you're in Dunnes.

Babygros and sleepsuits are perfect. The little vests to go inside as well are good.

Make sure you have plenty of washing powder for all the baby clothes washes you'll be doing!

ha thanks, I was just about to ask do the vests go under the babygrows.
    I know I really am clueless but shure Im sure itl all come to me in time!

I've about fifteen or so vests and sleepsuits in size newborn, and the same in size 0-3 months. I've a couple of cute tshirts in larger sizes (OH is a DJ, I spotted baby tshirts in Next that had a pic of headphones around the neck, too cute :) ) and I have a fleecy pramsuit from H&M that looks like a teddy bear :) A few hats, mitts and bibs and that's about it, as well as Moses basket sheets and cellular blankets. I reckon we've more than enough, sure if not it's no issue to pop out to dunnes or Penneys and pick up a couple of packs. I reckon there'll be plenty of outfits bought as pressies.
    Edit: also have a couple of large bottles of fairy detergent and softener, was on special offer a few months ago :)

• Advertisement

ha thanks, I was just about to ask do the vests go under the babygrows.
    I know I really am clueless but shure Im sure itl all come to me in time!

Don't worry. I had no idea at all on my first. I hadn't been around babies at all. Ever. My son's was the first nappy I ever changed and I had never ever held a newborn.

Once you realise they're not actually that fragile and the aim of the game is just keeping them fed and warm it feels easier.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Don't worry. I had no idea at all on my first. I hadn't been around babies at all. Ever. My son's was the first nappy I ever changed and I had never ever held a newborn.

Once you realise they're not actually that fragile and the aim of the game is just keeping them fed and warm it feels easier.

same never changed a nappy and dreading been told Im holding it wrong but Im sure itl be all grand.

think I only started getting maternal and organised the past 2 weeks, up to that it was all work stuff and baby was still just something I taled about but hadn't dawned its going to actually be arriving soon.

Thinking more practical stuff now like must get a bath seat and have nappies in and all that sort of thing.

same never changed a nappy and dreading been told Im holding it wrong but Im sure itl be all grand.

think I only started getting maternal and organised the past 2 weeks, up to that it was all work stuff and baby was still just something I taled about but hadn't dawned its going to actually be arriving soon.

Thinking more practical stuff now like must get a bath seat and have nappies in and all that sort of thing.

I need a bath seat, they had baby stuff in aldi on Thursday; they had baths in pink, blue and white with matching seats but by the time I got there all the white seats were gone. I got a bath, I'll pick up a seat next time I'm at the shops. I need a monitor (himself is insisting on getting a high falutin one that streams video to your ipad!) and a bouncer or swing - I've been offered a couple but they've yet to materialise, I'll chase them up soon. I got a new cover for the car seat and cleaned up the buggy my sister gave me, looks like new. I have a couple of big packs of newborn nappies, I'll need many many more but I'll keep an eye out for special offers and get in a few packs then.

I used a garden bucket for a bath for my first...

He loved it, I swear!
    273591.jpg

nikpmup wrote: »
    I need a bath seat, they had baby stuff in aldi on Thursday; they had baths in pink, blue and white with matching seats but by the time I got there all the white seats were gone. I got a bath, I'll pick up a seat next time I'm at the shops. I need a monitor (himself is insisting on getting a high falutin one that streams video to your ipad!) and a bouncer or swing - I've been offered a couple but they've yet to materialise, I'll chase them up soon. I got a new cover for the car seat and cleaned up the buggy my sister gave me, looks like new. I have a couple of big packs of newborn nappies, I'll need many many more but I'll keep an eye out for special offers and get in a few packs then.
    oh cool, must check out aldi, if I can get the bath/bathseat there thatl be another job done.
    Bouncer sorted, do need a few more ventilated blankets though. Also got a pramcoat I think they call them (furry body suit ;)) and coat sorted today.
    Believe were getting 2 2nd hand monitors, like yerself may follow up on these offers.

If you're near the new Aldi in Mulhuddart they had some of the plain white bath seats when I was in on Monday...

January wrote: »
    If you're near the new Aldi in Mulhuddart they had some of the plain white bath seats when I was in on Monday...

I'm in Hartstown, I must pop over tomorrow and check, that'd be handy - one more thing down :)

DK, that pic is too cute!!
    Just remembered that Bella baby in Dundrum are selling a baby bath that is bucket shaped, maybe you're onto something!

ha brilliant picture!!

Just wondering.... re bathing baby, is it best to buy a bath or a bath seat or one of those sponge moulds to lie baby on and sponge wash?? A bit clueless any links to what are suitable gratefully appreciated!

ha brilliant picture!!

Just wondering.... re bathing baby, is it best to buy a bath or a bath seat or one of those sponge moulds to lie baby on and sponge wash?? A bit clueless any links to what are suitable gratefully appreciated!

I've no idea why, but I think the sponge moulds look a bit flimsy! Also I think the plastic bath seats would be easier to keep clean - I imagine a sponge mould would get smelly! This is based on no evidence or experience whatsoever :)

Im looking at this thinking it looks like it might be easy to use?

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/baby-bather/496734690.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f2700

Think I might struggle with the plastic baby baths themselves..

• Advertisement

Im looking at this thinking it looks like it might be easy to use?

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/baby-bather/496734690.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f2700

Think I might struggle with the plastic baby baths themselves..

I got a bath so that I could use it in any room, not just the bathroom. My bathroom is kinda cold, I'd much prefer to have bath time in the bedroom or sitting room. That link has just reminded me that I have a littlewoods account that I never use, gonna go for a wee browse!

One thing to remember is that when baby baths are full they are extremely heavy! I nearly dropped mine bringing it to empty it once!

I got a bath so that I could use it in any room, not just the bathroom. My bathroom is kinda cold, I'd much prefer to have bath time in the bedroom or sitting room. That link has just reminded me that I have a littlewoods account that I never use, gonna go for a wee browse!

oh good thinking!!! my bathroom is actually quite cold too, like yer sittin room idea. Yea maybe a bath bath so.
    Starting to think I should of looked into this stuff weeks ago.

I only know that because my sister did this with hers! Don't forget to stick a big towel under the bath!

I only know that because my sister did this with hers! Don't forget to stick a big towel under the bath!

who would of known washing a person required so much though ;)

I work as a care assistant, I wash people all the time! Big people! There's more thought goes into it than you'd think!

January wrote: »
    One thing to remember is that when baby baths are full they are extremely heavy! I nearly dropped mine bringing it to empty it once!

That's what the other half is for ;)

After being unable to stay awake for most of the day, I'm now on the sofa - again -unable to sleep. My legs are killing me, I'm restless and I'm so tired I'm actually crying like a baby in frustration. I just want to sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

I'm sleeping for 10-20 minutes and waking up with a chesty cough. I have it since Sunday and been taking honey and lemon since. I thought it was breaking but I feel like sh!te now. I'm on the couch now, and have already told oh last night I won't be budging for the day so he better not invite people over for the all Ireland.

We went for food last night and when we came home the house was full of friends and family throwing me a surprise baby shower. I got some fright, I'm surprised my waters didn't go. It was a brilliant night but was wrecked....

But now I'm like a b!tch with a headache...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Inlikeflynn, that sounds like a lovely evening. At least you didn't do what I did at my surprise 30th and walk straight back out the door with the fright :)

Miracle of miracles. I may have had a full nights sleep. I have no recollection of even waking for the bathroom. If so that means I slept straight through from about 11.30/45-9.15 ! I don't this has happened once since I got pregnant.

Advertisement